Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
DEATH ROW--death penalty in America
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America

[Image: 4654BBA100000578-5080567-Earlier_this_mo...195094.jpg]
Charles Dials ^ was shot to death by Campbell in his own car. Campbell was trying to avoid being arrested on several charges of armed robbery.

Ohio Governor John Kasich denied Campbell's request for mercy on grounds that he's severely ill, it's difficult for medical professionals to find a vein to inject, and it's uncomfortable for him to lie down straight. However, officials did agree to give him a pillow.

Campbell requested to be killed by firing squad instead of lethal injection (probably an optics-driven strategy pushed by anti-death penalty groups, in my opinion). That request was also denied.

Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ution.html

11-14-2017 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

username Offline
Mod Lite

I have NO sympathy for these prisoners and I'd be just as happy if they were stripped of all their constitutional rights in a death row prison. Forced labor, no outside contact...I don't care. But as I said, stick them in a "special" (like Guantanamo) prison just for the worst of the worst and forget all this effort/money we spend housing and in the legal system trying to get one or two out of 100's actually executed.

If one can take the emotion out of it, monetarily it's not worth it to try to put them to death. And studies have shown it doesn't work to discourage others so that's no reason to maintain it.

Besides all the effort put in to getting one guy dead...I'm not sure if we look more weak or barbaric. It isn't worth it.

Commando Cunt Queen
11-14-2017 04:55 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Yeah, I agree with you user. I'd like to see the death penalty abolished on a national level at this point too.

Put the criminals convicted of capital crimes in the worst prison units and work them hard -- that suggestion works for me.

Prosecuting capital/death penalty cases takes much longer. It's also much more expensive to tax payers. Plus, the automatic appeals processes associated with death penalty sentences adds even more tax payer expense.

Aside from the financial drawbacks, as you noted, the death penalty isn't a deterrent to murderous criminals. AND, perhaps the biggest drawback for me......juries and judges sometimes make mistakes that come to light years down the line. The government can free prisoners (and compensate them when appropriate) if they're locked up for crimes they didn't commit, but obviously not if the government has already executed them.

For now.........it does seem that juries are less apt to dole out death as punishment, mostly reserving that sentence for aggravated murders where there is no doubt or very slim doubt that the defendant is guilty. That's probably the one positive impact of the CSI effect -- if there's no verified confession, no incriminating suspect DNA, no video tape of the crime......juries seem to be less inclined than they once were to condemn convicts to death.

11-14-2017 06:41 PM

Carsman Offline
Bad Mocker

That's whys the defense attorneys try to make damn sure the jurors they pick for their jury do not have the mind set: You kill me, mine kill you!

To them, the "Deterrent factor" is secondary, they just want an Eye for an Eye justice! Those jurors are quickly dismissed.

(I was called for jury duty many more times then I wanted)

Carsman: Loves Living Large

Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!
11-14-2017 09:04 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

The Jury should all be given a shotgun and they all go out in the yard and blow the head off of whoever accepts the death penalty as a sentence. In front of the media cameras of coarse, as a deterrent. Some people don't deserve the skin that holds their guts in. Some people just can't be reached.

11-14-2017 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

BigMark Offline
Mocker

That's awful course.

11-14-2017 09:53 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

(11-14-2017 09:53 PM)BigMark Wrote:  That's awful course.

Yeah, you're right............. so maybe do it on a golf course. Smiley_emoticons_wink corps, corpse, corpse.........

11-15-2017 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Duchess Away
Administrator

Some people are monsters in every sense of the word.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
11-15-2017 02:04 PM

Donovan Offline
Clarified idiot

As liberal as I am in most areas, there is a part of me wishes they'd start executing convicted violent murderers in a manner befitting the original crime. Shot somebody? Be ready for a bullet. Hacked them up? Here comes the table saw. Yeah I know it's barbaric. But every time I see one of these predatory murderers I see the face of some poor soul who died terrified and alone, while this prick gets to lie down with a nice pillow and go to sleep.

Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
11-16-2017 11:46 AM