Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
+your daily weather report+
(05-02-2018, 01:36 AM)BigMark Wrote: Earth in ‘Greatest Two-Year Cooling Event in a Century
Our planet has just experienced the most extreme two-year cooling event in a century. But where have you seen this reported anywhere in the mainstream media? The 2016-18 Big Chill was composed of two Little Chills, the biggest five month drop ever (February to June 2016) and the fourth biggest (February to June 2017). A similar event from February to June 2018 would bring global average temperatures below the 1980s average. February 2018 was colder than February 1998. To put this temperature drop in context, consider that this is enough to offset by more than half the entirety of the global warming the planet has experienced since the end of the 19th century

I started a thread here 2-3 years ago called ‘Little Ice Age’ I believe.

The sun has a roughly 24 year cycle of activity.

We are now at the lowest point of solar activity for the current cycle.

I believe that has much to do with the earth cooling.
It almost sounds like MS and BM are saying this weather is cyclical... Crazy...
The Eta Aquarid meteor shower peaks Saturday through Monday, May 5-7, with the potential for a long stretch of shooting stars. Whether you'll be able to see them, of course, depends on the local forecast and a still bright moon.

Though the shower favors the Southern Hemisphere, the Eta Aquarids are typically a decent show that can produce up to 30 meteors an hour north of the equator. The farther south you are, the better the views are. For example, the show will be more dazzling in Miami than in New York or San Francisco.

As with most meteor showers, the best time to catch the Eta Aquarids is just before dawn Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings. The meteors appear to originate from Eta Aquarii, one of the brightest stars in the constellation Aquarius, which can be seen at this time of the year.

For the best views of the Eta Aquarids, lie flat on your back facing east and look up so you'll get a wide view of the sky, Bill Cooke who leads NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, wrote in a blog. These meteors are known for their speed, traveling about 148,000 mph, and can leave glowing "trains" — incandescent bits of debris in the wake of meteor. The trains can last for several seconds or even minutes.

Meteors are the product of leftover comet particles and broken asteroids that leave a dusty trail as they travel around the sun. As the Earth passes through these debris trails, the particles collide with our atmosphere and disintegrate into fiery, colorful streaks in the sky.

The Eta Aquarids are produced by debris left from the comet 1P/Halley, which also produces the Orionids in October.

The Eta Aquarids appear to originate from Eta Aquarii, which is one of the brightest stars in the constellation Aquarius, but they can be seen anywhere in the sky. In mid-northern latitudes, the radiant point — where they appear to originate — won't be high in the sky, so viewers will want to seek out dark skies with a clear view of the southern horizon.

Dark skies away from city light pollution are ideal, but some of the brighter meteors, and perhaps even a couple of fireballs, should be visible from a suburban backyard, according to National Geographic.

There's a hitch, though. A waning gibbous moon — that is, one halfway between full and quarter moon phase — could block the faintest of the Eta Aquarid meteors.
I've watched meteor showers and most of the time they fly by out the corner of my eye. it's cool to sit in a lawn chair with a cool drink as long as the bugs aren't out.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I'd love to see that, Mark. It's pitch black on the farm away from the lights.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
It's this weekend.

I'm under a tornado watch. [Image: crying.gif]
(05-12-2018, 06:30 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'm under a tornado watch. [Image: crying.gif]

I'm under a tornado grandfather clock.hah

It was pretty sucky. I had never seen hail like that before and I was very concerned that windows were going to start breaking. I was so worried about my pretty car too. Everything is fine though, just a shit ton of shredded leaves and I got some needed rain out of it.
No pictures?

No, not a single one but my girlfriend sent me a video. I don't think to pull out my phone when that kinda shit is going down. I was holding my glasses in my hand and I was so fricken tense I broke them.

I once saw a car in a parking lot I was in. It was all tarted up like what you might see at a wedding only this was some random dude just released from jail and it said that in place of JUST MARRIED. I didn't think to pull out my phone that day either. Ugh. The only time it has ever occurred to me to do so was the day the fawn collapsed in front of me.
(05-13-2018, 11:08 AM)Duchess Wrote:

It was pretty sucky. I had never seen hail like that before and I was very concerned that windows were going to start breaking. I was so worried about my pretty car too. Everything is fine though, just a shit ton of shredded leaves and I got some needed rain out of it.

Hail normally accompanies a tornado.

Sounds like you were lucky!
wild weather in chicago today.
(05-13-2018, 09:20 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Hail normally accompanies a tornado.

Sounds like you were lucky!

Yeah, I thought so too! Everything I thought I knew about severe weather is no longer valid. I sorta blew off the tornado warning because it wasn't hot & humid, I thought I'd be fine but when that hail started I knew I couldn't have been more wrong.
(05-14-2018, 08:46 AM)BigMark Wrote: wild weather in chicago today.

Its always windy in Chicago.

Since 6am, Tornado "alert" watch sounded, then warnings to take cover, all day long here for several towns about 25 miles away from me.

Heavy rain, thunder, and very windy, here "by" me. (No Tornado's, yet)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Great weather here, blue sky, light wind 76 deg no humidity. a perfect day. hah
(05-14-2018, 04:18 PM)Carsman Wrote: .

Since 6am, Tornado "alert" watch sounded, then warnings to take cover, all day long here for several towns about 25 miles away from me.

Heavy rain, thunder, and very windy, here "by" me. (No Tornado's, yet)

If you send that shit up here I will beat you like a rug. Taz
It is in the 90's today.
(05-13-2018, 11:08 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Whew, glad you are okay!