Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
~~trying to reason with hurricane season~~
well this sucks. i am again waiting to hear from my son with the Texas horse ranch. the drought has been a nightmare, i hoped TS Lee would give them rain.

[Image: 0905fire_20110905_171501.jpg]

FOX
BASTROP, Texas – A wildfire burning southeast of Austin, Texas, destroyed about 300 homes, forced the evacuation of many others and was advancing unchecked on Monday through parched ranchland along a 16-mile front, authorities said.

The fire had blackened more than 17,500 acres since it started on Sunday and was the largest of the dozens burning in the drought-stricken state. It was headed away from the state capital, some 30 miles to the northwest, and consuming the water-starved woods and brush with such ferocity that it was deemed unsafe to fight from the ground, Texas Forest Service spokeswoman Jan Amen said.

"It's a monster and it's zero percent contained," Amen said.

Instead, the state deployed its firefighting air fleet, including National Guard helicopters and four heavy tanker planes. It also summoned a tanker from South Dakota.

Emergency shelters were set up for those forced to evacuate their homes. About 30 people spent the night at a Bastrop church, waiting to learn if they had lost everything.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ~~trying to reason with hurricane season~~ - by Lady Cop - 09-05-2011, 06:42 PM