Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
political cartoon causes a mexican stink
i like witty political cartooning, and this guy's website is a goldmine.
click:
POLITICAL CARTOONS

so one of his cartoons is causing a stink in mexico,
it pissed me off too because it depicts cruelty to eagles.

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- An American's cartoon showing the eagle in the Mexican flag dead in a pool of blood is drawing criticism.

The sketch created by political cartoonist Daryl Cagle depicts the green, white, and red Mexican flag with a bullet-riddled eagle sprawled in the center of the emblem. Mexico's coat of arms includes the eagle perched on a prickly pear cactus, devouring a snake.

Cagle says he created the cartoon to depict the violence rampant in parts of Mexico.

"Editorial cartoonists look for readily recognizable metaphors and that's an obvious one for Mexico," says Cagle.

But the cartoon has offended many Mexicans who feel their national symbol is off limits, especially to foreign cartoonists.

Many readers reacted angrily when the cartoon was displayed on the front page of newspapers.

"It is a shame that a patriotic symbol like our flag, which is so beautiful to me, can be mocked by a stupid cartoonist," wrote a reader to the Mexico City newspaper El Universal. "I think there are many other ways to graphically protest what's happening in our country."

Mexican cartoonist Paco Calderón reprinted Cagle's cartoon on the Reforma newspaper, adding his own comment.

"I'm not offended by the cartoon. I'm offended by reality and the huarache-wearing Taliban members," he said. Huarache is a type of a Mexican sandal and Calderón was using the reference to talk about members of the seven drug cartels terrorizing Mexico.

Even President Felipe Calderón admits the situation in his country is dire.

"As we all know, we face unscrupulous criminals with enormous economic capacity and great firepower," said the president in his fourth state-of-the-nation speech Thursday. "I am fully aware that in the past year the problem of violence has risen." NO SHIT!

Cagle admits he's somewhat surprised by the reaction to his cartoon. "This one has been a little unusual in that it has been splashed all over the press in Mexico and I've been hearing quite a lot about it," he says.

"All I was looking to here is make a statement that the violence in Mexico is terrible and make it visually compelling."

[Image: cagle00.gif]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

L.C. was ahead of her time with the cartoon humiliation emotions.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
[Image: th?id=OIP.M8db640576d4ac0634a412a248a5e9...&W=160&P=0]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.