Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bill and Lorraine Currier. missing VT couple
If there's any silver lining from the absolutely tragic case of missing Celina Cass, it's that people have started putting pressure on the Essex, Vermont police to step up their investigation in the disapearance of Bill and Lorraine Currier.

I realize (or atleast *hope*) that investigation continues even when news coverage does not; I can't imagine how hard it is on the families and friends of missing people when a new case comes along and seems to usurp the media attention.

The Curriers have been missing for weeks.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/artic...RONTPAGE|p
i'd like to know more about their lifestyle, why they were targeted.

ESSEX — While searchers scoured the woods beside Essex’s back roads Thursday for evidence or the bodies of Bill and Lorraine Currier, the town’s police chief said detectives have unearthed new information in the case, but he must withhold those details from the public.

[Image: ap_missing_bill_lorraine_currier_jp_110614_wg.jpg]

The cases probably aren't related, but this brought to mind the Pat O'Hagan abduction and murder. Pat (a 78-year-old grandmother) was abducted last year from St. Johnsbury, VT (about 40 miles from Essex) and her body was found off a road into the woods.

The Curriers are obviously responsible people for their employers to be concerned when they didn't show up at work without calling in.

The story says the Curriers made it home from work. There's the broken window and missing gun. Maybe the Curriers interrupted a robbery in progress. It sounds like there's no evidence of a struggle or blood evidence at the home. But why take the Curriers instead of dealing with them at the home? It seems to me that taking them would only increase the perps chances of being seen/caught.
The St. J. case is such a debacle. It seemed like there was very little concern for the elderly woman early on--mostly because she was elderly and there was some speculation that she had wandered. Later it was determined there was foul play. And then zip--gone from the news.
most pertinent of what little info i have seen so far. very tight-lipped investigation.
i would like to know their lifestyle...why THEM? or was it random? from what i have read, they were a respectable couple.

[Image: 368c0f_missing8511.jpg]

Essex Police Chief Brad LaRose Police Smiley_emoticons_stumm

Burlington Free Press

ESSEX — The Essex Selectboard has approved spending up to $15,000 for advanced DNA testing in the case of a missing couple, William and Lorraine Currier, who disappeared last month.

Essex acting Police Chief Brad LaRose declined to say whether it was blood, hair or some other evidence that needed to have advanced DNA testing.
“As time goes on I think I will be able to say more about what that is for,” LaRose told the Burlington Free Press on Tuesday.

LaRose also confirmed that a Massachusetts State Police dog trained in locating bodies was brought in Thursday to assist in the investigation.
William Currier, 49, who works at the University of Vermont, and his wife, Lorraine Currier, 55, who works at Fletcher Allen Health Care, were last seen at their Colbert Street home at about 7 p.m. June 8. When they failed to appear for work the next morning, a relative called Essex police about 10 a.m. Their car was found two days later about three-quarters of a mile away at an apartment complex at 241 Pearl St.

Police said this week they suspect foul play.

LaRose said the needed types of DNA tests are not offered through the Vermont Department of Public Safety lab. LaRose would not say which lab is doing the work, but because the testing is occurring out of state, the town is expected to pay for the time necessary to complete the work.

Some preliminary testing has been done, LaRose said.
“The secondary stages will be done in the near future,” he said. “We hope to hear back within perhaps two to three weeks. I don’t know; it may be longer.”

WPTZ

ESSEX, Vt. -- Several law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, conducted an organized search for Bill and Lorraine Currier on Thursday, hoping for a break in the case of the missing couple.

Bill and Lorraine Currier, of Essex, were reported missing in June after both failed to show up for work. Since then, Essex police said they had searched extensively in the one-mile radius around the couple's home, including the apartment complex on Route 15 where the couple's car was found abandoned.

Police told NewsChannel 5 there are 40 miles unaccounted for on the Currier’s car so the search area has been pushed out to a 20-mile radius. The search focused on the side of roads and highways where police said bodies could be potentially exposed.

"It's really impossible to determine (if the couple is deceased). ... The longer the Curriers are missing, the more concerned I am that they may not be alive," Essex Police Capt. Brad LaRose said.

Vermont State Police, Burlington police, South Burlington police, Williston police, The FBI, the U.S. Marshals Service and New England K-9 assisted the Essex Police Department in Thursday’s search.

[Image: 11SEEKPOS-Currier.jpg]

i don't trust these type of "eyewitness" accounts.

Londonderry News

Sketch of the Person Of Interest. Do you recognize this man?
If so, please contact Essex Police Department at 802-878-8331, your local police or 9-1-1
Police have released a sketch of a man who might have been driving the missing couple, Bill and Lorraine Currier’s car after the pair vanished last week.
A police composite shows a man with scraggly-looking shoulder-length hair, a beard, wide-set eyes and a high forehead. Authorities say the drawing resulted from a person who “may have seen a male subject operating the green Saturn registered to William and Lorraine Currier” last Thursday.

The possible sighting came a day after the Curriers reportedly were last week, and the day they were reported missing to police. The Saturn was found the next day, Friday, in an apartment complex’s parking lot less than a mile from the couple’s Colbert Street home.

Police on Tuesday also said investigators “received information from the family about the possibility of a handgun in the home.” Authorities confirmed that the Curriers had purchased a gun “some time ago.” A statement Tuesday evening from Essex police did not specify whether the gun was located inside the home or whether the weapon is being sought.

UPDATE: June 13, 2011

The vehicle of Bill and Lorraine Currier was located, however, the married couple are still missing. Bill Currier is in need of his insulin and his supply is at their home. Lorraine also needs medication for an unspecified condition. The couple’s dark green Saturn sedan was found backed-up near a Dumpster at the 241 Pearl St. apartment complex about three-quarters of a mile from the Colbert Street residence in the Susie Wilson Road section of Essex.
Saturday, residents of the apartments said police removed the Dumpster late Friday night. Several residents said they had noticed the dark-green car Thursday or Friday, because it was parked in a little-used spot.

no news to be found anywhere. some hunter will stumble across bones one day i think.

this reminds me of a florida case, couple this age taken into woods and buried alive. Signs_173

a young woman is on death row for that case.

Curriers
[Image: 15209975_BG1.jpg]

Quote:Police told NewsChannel 5 there are 40 miles unaccounted for on the Currier’s car so the search area has been pushed out to a 20-mile radius. The search focused on the side of roads and highways where police said bodies could be potentially exposed.

Does anybody know how the police would know that there were 40 miles unaccounted for on the couple's car?

Never mind...the answer is in the article linked in the first post in this thread. I would delete this if I could.
i would love to know why these ACLU assholes got involved and why warrants were sealed. that's the one thing ACLU is good for, getting that shit unsealed. but sometimes there is a good reason for the secrecy.
any critically sensitive material could be redacted.

Published: August 18, 2011
Vt. Times-Argus
BURLINGTON — The American Civil Liberties Union is getting involved in a public records case stemming from the disappearance of a Vermont couple.

The ACLU was asked by the Vermont Supreme Court to weigh in on whether police search-warrant documents related to the disappearance of Bill and Lorraine Currier, of Essex, should remain secret.
Allen Gilbert, executive director of the ACLU’s Vermont chapter, says the ACLU plans to file papers asking the Supreme Court to make the documents public.

The court has set a Sept. 13 hearing in the case.

It stems from a dispute between Chittenden County State’s Attorney T.J. Donovan and the Burlington Free Press. The Free Press (http://bit.ly/nnL2mU ) has sought release of the materials, while Donovan says that could compromise the investigation into the couple’s disappearance June 8.

FOX44

Update: Essex, Vermont - Law enforcement continued their search for Bill and Lorraine Currier on Thursday.

The Essex, Vermont couple went missing on June 8th.

Now, nearly two months later, police admit the lack of evidence is leading to frustration.

"We're not going to give up on this case. We'll continue to work it," said Essex Police Captain Brad LaRose.

Police are looking for new evidence in places that haven't searched before, like McGee Road in Essex.

That's because of the information they say they found in the Currier's car.

"There are 40, roughly 40 miles on the vehicle that are unaccounted for," said Captain LaRose.

Captain Larose says a few days before the Curriers went missing their car was serviced.

That gave them the mileage at that point, and after calculating where they traveled to before they went missing, left police with 40 miles.

And that's a main reason why police say this case is different from others, like the ongoing Celina Cass case in New Hampshire.

"However in this case we're dealing with two missing adults. The vehicle is a major factor," said Captain LaRose.

Captain Larose says the plan is to continue with ground searches in the coming weeks.

He also says there are a number of other things they are still looking into.

"The bank records are still flowing in. We still have work to do there. There is a significant amount of computer analysis," said Captain LaRose.

Information they hope will bring answers to those waiting to learn what happened to the Curriers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essex, Vermont – Police take new information about the missing couple from Essex and started a new search Thursday.

Police say the Currier's car had recently been serviced before they went missing. Police took the mileage from when the service was done and calculated where the couple traveled since that date. After the math, they found that there are 40 miles of travel that are unaccounted for.

Fox 44's Nick Natario reports that is why police have focused its search further than the previous one mile radius.

At 11:30 a.m., Natario says police are searching on Lost Nation Road in Essex.

He says 28 people from various agencies are helping with the search.

Bill and Lorraine Currier have been missing since June 8.

I wonder if LE has checked out people at the place where the Curriers had their car serviced. I trust our mechanic, but not necessarily the people he has working for him. A couple of weeks ago when I went to pick up our car, I noticed that a lot of people had left key rings with several keys on them. At the time I thought how easy it would be for a mechanic to take the car for a test drive and copy someone's house key while he was out.
It would be interesting to know how many people lived in the apartment complex where the Currrier's car was found and if any of them have a connection to Bill and/or Lorraine. I'm sure they've all been questioned. Also, was the dumpster near their abandoned car dumped after the Curriers were last verified alive?

Really very few details have been released about this missing couple. I hope they simply decided to hit the road on the down-low for some reason. But, the abandoned car and their personal histories just don't seem to match that scenario. Hoping for the best here, but fearing the worst...
video report here:

http://www.necn.com/04/12/12/New-search-...eedID=4206

(NECN/WPTZ: Jill Glavan, Essex, Vt.) - State and Essex police are excavating an area off of Vermont Route 15 in a search for a couple that went missing in June 2011.

Police used a backhoe on Thursday to excavate as state police dog examined the soil as it was removed from the ground.

William and Lorraine Currier of Essex Junction, Vt., were last seen leaving their jobs at Fletcher Allen Health Care on June 8 around 5 p.m. Officials suspect foul play is behind their disappearance.

Interesting. I wonder what prompted the search now and at that particular location.

When Melissa Jenkins was killed, I immediately thought of the Curriers and Pat O'Hagan disappearances. Exeter (where the Curriers lived) is about an hour to the west of where the creeps who killed Melissa live. Pat O'Hagan lived about 20 min north of the creeps. I had wondered if the creeps were responsible for Pat O'Hagan's disappearance and murder - she was an elderly woman, so it wouldn't have been a "get a girl" scenario, but maybe the creeps wanted to start out with easier prey.

Going after two people at once seems like it might have been beyond the capabilities of the creeps, but with LE getting info about a possible grave site relatively soon after the creeps arrests, I'm starting to wonder.
sifting for bones etc.

[Image: 041212-Currier-Search.jpg]

WPTZ
ESSEX, Vt.
Midway through a second day digging up an empty lot in Essex, police halted their heavy equipment to bring in a tent and tarps to examine within the hole.
Police began work at the site on Route 15 early Thursday. There was an abandoned house on the property that neighbors say was demolished last Fall.

Police confirmed that the site is connected to the case of missing Essex Junction couple Bill and Lorraine Currier but gave little other information.

This was the thread that drew me to this board. No one really knows what happened to the Curriers, and it's a very weird story, sort of like the murder of Patty Scoville in 1991 we had in Stowe. Took forever for them to figure that one out.

While VT is relatively crime free, odd stuff like this happens, seemingly randomly. They still don't really have a clue what happened, except it seems like foul play.
This is a strange twist, I don't know if any of you here followed the Samantha Koenig case. She was an 18 year barista in anchorage who was kidnapped from the coffee shack where she worked and later found murdered under the ice in a lake. Very tragic story. After the arrest of Keyes, LE revealed they had been tracking him for sometime, I think he had been using Sam's phone and contacting her father for money which he withdrew from different atm's in different states. Anyways, like I said it was quite an interesting case.

So to the point, Israel Keyes who has been arrested for the kidnapping and murder of Sam is now being connected to this case:

WCAX: BURLINGTON, Vt. -
Federal authorities say they have a suspect in the murder of an Essex couple. Thursday, WCAX News reported that investigators now consider the disappearance of Bill and Lorraine Currier to be a homicide. And now police believe they know who killed them.

State and federal prosecutors announced their findings at a news conference in Burlington Friday morning.

"The investigation has developed significant information that William and Lorraine Currier were abducted from their home and murdered shortly thereafter in June 2011. The person believed to have committed the murders is in custody in another state and will remain in custody. No charges have yet been brought against this person for the Curriers' murders, but charges are anticipated," said Tristram Coffin, the U.S. Attorney for Vermont.

"Their murders were a random act of violence that occurred in our community. There is nothing the Curriers did in their personal lives that contributed to their deaths," Chittenden County Prosecutor T.J. Donovan said.

Authorities would not identify their suspect, but WCAX News has learned who it is. We have been following this investigation for several months and sources now tell WCAX News that the suspect in the Currier murder case is incarcerated 4,500 miles away. His name is Israel Keyes. The 34-year-old is in a federal prison in Alaska. In April, he was indicted for allegedly kidnapping and killing an 18-year-old coffee house worker from Anchorage. Sources tell WCAX News that while the feds were questioning Keyes about that case, he told them where they could find the bodies of the missing Essex couple. That's when authorities zeroed in on the property off Route 15 in Essex. The investigators then chased that construction debris to a Coventry landfill. WCAX News has also been able to confirm that Keyes was in Essex at the exact time of the murders, even confirming that Keyes checked into a hotel the day before the Curriers disappeared and checked out the day after they went missing.

[Image: 19073463_BG2.jpg]

Israel Keyes

More at link: http://www.wcax.com/story/19073463/inves...f-curriers
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Wow! That IS a strange twist. Victims in Vermont and Alaska; victims a middle-aged couple and a woman. If Keyes hadn't confessed, it seems unlikely the two cases would have been tied together.
Holy cow, that psycho got around. Vermont to Alaska to Texas and owns property in New York. Reminds me of Bundy.

Police would not comment on whether they believe they have a serial killer on their hands.

He's killed three that they know of. That makes him a serial killer. Wouldn't doubt there is a string of bodies along his path of travel.

It's shocking how many deranged people are in the human population. I think the FBI estimates that there are around 50 operating serial killers on the loose.