Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The West Memphis 3 Case
IMaDick Offline
Fuck off,I am a legend !

RE: The Memphis 3 Case

Quote: Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr. and Jason Baldwin pleaded guilty

There own admission is enough for me, you know innocent people don't plead guilty or use the alford plea to keep the evidence the state has of their guilt from coming out in a trial.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
08-19-2011 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

Adub Offline
Mocker

Innocent people do take plea deals. This was a plea deal, was it not? And the state has no new evidence. It was all thrown out there during the first trial. The defendants, on the otherhand, have new evidence. Which is why the state offered the deal, imo.

08-19-2011 02:35 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

[Image: t1main.west.memphis3.presser.jpg]

[Image: 15297100_SS.jpg]

the state didn't want to put on another trial. and we have all these "celebrities" involved.
i have never really studied the case completely, but i will before offering any analysis.

and to get off death row and LWOP i guess a lot of people would take an Alford plea. but do they have to allocute? that is usually part of the deal in an Alford. to TELL what went down. in open court.

08-19-2011 02:40 PM

IMaDick Offline
Fuck off,I am a legend !

a plea deal? They pled guilty to something they didn't do as part of a plea deal?

what kind of a moron does something like that?

The alford plea is explicit in it's use, they plead while at the same time recognising that the state had a case with evidence that would convict them.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
08-19-2011 02:43 PM

Harvest Moon Offline
strange

(08-19-2011 02:43 PM)IMaDick Wrote:  a plea deal? They pled guilty to something they didn't do as part of a plea deal?

what kind of a moron does something like that?

The alford plea is explicit in it's use, they plead while at the same time recognising that the state had a case with evidence that would convict them.

OK now I understand the Alford plea. But if you were in prison for a crime you didn't commit and were offered anything, wouldn't you take it? Even if it meant admitting guilt? Remember we are not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed, and their lives were basically cut off when they were in their late teens. So, they failed to develop beyond that point.

08-19-2011 03:38 PM

Harvest Moon Offline
strange

Again, I don't feel passionate about this case, just want to hear other people's opinions.

08-19-2011 03:54 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

more here at link below: Daily Mail UK.

The Victims 424242
[Image: article-2028045-0D7F27B100000578-533_468x246.jpg]

[Image: article-2028045-0D7F234100000578-453_468x286.jpg]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...cence.html

08-19-2011 03:59 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I saw the Paradise Lost documentaries which were quite clearly biased in favor of the convicted's innocence and pointed suspicion and Mark Byers (one of the victim's stepfather; completely cleared now). For 2 years, Mr. Byers was the target of those who believed Echols, Misskelley, and Baldwin. For the last couple of years, suspicion has been firmly hovering over Terry Hobbs, the then-stepfather of one of the other victims. He was never considered a suspect by police, but he is clearly an SOB. After Mr. Hobbs shot her brother a few years back, his wife, Pam Hobbs began defending the West Memphis 3 and voicing suspicion regarding Mr. Hobb's involvement in the murder of her son and the other 2 victims. She, along with a list of celebrities who find Damien Echols' art and poetry intriguing (and think he was persecuted because he wore dark clothes and listened to heavy metal in the Bible Belt), have been fighting for new trials and freedom for the convicted murderers.

After watching a 48 Hours Special which included an interview with Damien Echols' wife and crusader, I was on the fence about guilt or innocence because I didn't have enough information to form an unbiased opinion. I decided to go back and look only at the facts of the case - propaganda and new personal vendettas in the families aside. This site has almost everything pertaining to the case:

http://callahan.8k.com/trial_transcripts.html

In my opinion, the right people were convicted, though I know I'm in the minority and it's an unpopular opinion. I'm fully aware of all the arguments in favor of their innocence and the passion of their defenders, which I respect but with which I disagree. In my opinion only, the facts of the initial investigation point to guilt. However, I do think the prosecution focused too much on the supposed Satanic motive and their expert on the subject was a joke. There may also have been some jury misconduct. I believe these are the reasons that the State will no retry this case, especially with the high profile brought about by the likes of Johnny Depp and friends.

The confessions of Jesse Misskelley are quite incriminating; the transcripts of which can be found at the site linked in this post. He has 2 lawyers present that are begging him not to talk over and over and the LE present repeatedly tells him he doesn't have to say anything. Each time, he says it needs to be told. There is no coercion, imo, and Mr. Misskelley is mentally capable of understanding what is happening and what he is doing. He revealed some details that were later verified by LE. Also incriminating are the statements and attitude of Damien Echols, before, during and after the trial. I believe he is a psychopath and don't trust a word he says, then or now, but that's jmo... Some of his writings and statements while jailed indicate, to me, that he may have a true mental illness. He had indeed been in treatment for such before the murders. Here is a link to a Larry King death row interview with Echols in 2007:

http://www.myspace.com/video/free-the-wm...1/42400543

The DNA of Terry Hobbs found at the sight and the lack of DNA of the Memphis 3 are compelling and I respect the opinion of those that think the West Memphis 3 were unjustly targeted. Imo, this is not evidence of innocence and does not override the case for guilt.

I hope to be wrong. These men are now back on the street. Whether they are guilty or innocent, I believe they will not likely be involved in something so horrendous again because of they have a lot of eyes upon them now. More likely, they, at least Echols and his wife, will be in front of the camera as much as possible.

JMO...

08-19-2011 04:29 PM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

excellent post Hairy. i really need to find time to do the research.

[Image: article-2028045-0D82C56000000578-540_636x329.jpg]

08-19-2011 04:49 PM

QueenBee Offline
Boring Bitch

Interestingly, this is one of the first trials I ever watched on TV, I worked part time, mostly evenings so my days were free. At the time, I did not have the knowledge I do now, of DNA and other evidence..but I was pretty convinced they were guilty.
But over the years, especially when it came back to light due to people rallying for their innocence, I began to have doubts myself.
I have never heard of the alford plea before, so I do not feel I can comment much on it...but if what they are saying is that they acnowledge that the state has evidence they could use against them at trial..does this really mean they have evidence that could potentially prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?
I know that many people were sure of guilt because of the satan worship thing. But I do not know, were they just judging based on negative feelings?

[Image: flapopt2.gif] [Image: flapopt2.gif]
08-20-2011 10:32 AM

Cracker Away
White Devil

Innocent people don't plead guilty.

(03-15-2013 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
08-20-2011 10:42 AM

Cracker Away
White Devil

(08-19-2011 03:54 PM)Harvest Moon Wrote:  Again, I don't feel passionate about this case, just want to hear other people's opinions.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

(Passionate-LY, adverb, different than an adjective because it modifies a VERB. Rednecks do that shit, too.)

(03-15-2013 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
08-20-2011 10:43 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

CNN is reporting that the victims' families are divided on yesterday's Alford Plea and release of WM3.

John Mark Byers, originally the most vocal about the WM 3 being guilty (and once accused of being the killer by WM3 crusaders), was the stepfather of Christopher Byers. He did a total 180 after his odd appearances in the Paradise Lost documentary and subsequent cloud of suspicion was cast upon him by W3 supporters. He has been one of their strongest supporters in recent years and is happy about their release, but angry that the 3 had to plead guilty to be set free.

Pam Hobbs, victim Stevie Branch's mom, says she doesn't know what to believe. She just wants peace. Over the last couple of years, she has been pointing the finger at her ex-husband and Stevie's stepfather Terry Hobbs. Apparently Stevie's biological dad does not agree,

Steven Branch Sr. is Pam Hobbs' first husband and Stevie Branch's father. He believes the WM3 were proven guilty, are in fact guilty, and that Damien Echols should be executed and the other 2 convicted murderers should be in prison for life.

Victim Michael Moore's parents, Todd and Diana Moore, seem to stay out of the public eye. I didn't find any statements from them regarding yesterday's releases.

Reference:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/19/arka...?hpt=hp_t2

[Image: the_three.jpg]
Chris--------------------------Michael---------------------------------Stevie

08-20-2011 11:20 AM

Lady Cop Away
SUPERMOD

tonight Sept. 17 at 10 Eastern on CBS

48 Hours Mystery
Episode: The West Memphis 3 - Free
NEW

Seventeen years after being convicted of murdering three young boys, three men are released from prison, where they were facing life sentences.

09-17-2011 08:28 AM