Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Spader murder trial has started~ horror in a little NH town
(11-04-2010, 08:39 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: both sides have rested, closings monday.
the defense didn't put the usual witnesses on to say spader had bad potty training.

I did not hear the defense case, it was not long if it was anything. I am so glad insanity was not their stand. Spader will not last long in jail.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(11-04-2010, 08:42 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: no, they didn't put her through that. just the husband and father took the stand.

I feel better for this.
closing arguments this morning, jury should begin deliberating this afternoon.

edit to add: NASHUA, N.H. — Jurors that will deliberate the case of a New Hampshire teenager charged with killing a Mont Vernon woman and injuring her daughter have been sent home because of a "housekeeping matter."

Superior Court Judge Gillian Abramson says instructions will be given to the jury at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Jaimie's bedroom---->

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

GUILTY. LIFE SENTENCE.

"I could go on for days and days and days about the depth of your depravity, but it is sufficient to say that you belong in a cage,"
"I sentence you to the maximum, for the rest of your pointless life." - Hillsborough County Superior Court Judge Gillian L. Abramson

NASHUA, N.H. — A teenager accused of killing a mother and wounding her daughter with a machete during a home invasion was convicted today of first-degree murder and other charges.

Jurors deliberated for about 90 minutes before returning their verdict against Steven Spader, 19, of Brookline.

Under New Hampshire law, the first-degree murder conviction carries an automatic sentence of life without parole. Spader also was convicted of attempted murder and other felonies.

He has been sentenced to life in prison.

As required by law, the judge imposed the sentence today after a jury found him guilty of all six charges he faced, including first-degree murder.

Spader was the first person to go on trial in the October 2009 attacks that left Kimberly Cates dead and her 11-year-old daughter, Jaimie, gravely wounded.

David Cates, who was traveling on business when his family was attacked in their Mont Vernon home, was expected to deliver a victim impact statement later Tuesday before Spader is sentenced.

Spader, whose birthday is today, showed no reaction to the verdicts. As the jurors were being polled individually on each of their six guilty verdicts, several glared at Spader and responded emphatically.

Spader’s mother, Christine Spader, wept briefly; his father was stoic.

The victim's husband spoke before the court after the sentencing and described what his "soul mate" meant to him.

"Kim was full of energy, excitement and life," David Cates said. "She gave so much to everyone she met. Kim was a mother. She and Jaimie were inseparable."

He said his wife was the best partner a man could have and said it makes him sad that the trial will be how people remember her.

"Kim was beautiful, and she will forever live in our hearts," Cates said.

He said his daughter has been forced to witness more evil than any person ever should, and she will continue to need surgery in the following months.

"While grieving the terrible loss of her mom, she is already trying to put the pieces of her life together," Cates said.

He said the dreams he had with his wife were shattered with "that one phone call on a Saturday night."

He added, "Jaimie and I will forever miss Kim, but we still have each other and we have our family."

slideshow of verdict and sentencing:

http://www.wmur.com/slideshow/news/25685242/detail.html

(11-09-2010, 03:33 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: Spader’s mother, Christine Spader, wept briefly; his father was stoic.

How does a parent deal with this kind of thing, with knowing your kid is a monster? I wonder if they are ever able to get past their love for their child & see the horror that everyone else does.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
she said : (paraphrase) we love our son and God loves him too.

what else can a parent say? i feel sorry for them. they remember their little boy. he turned 19 today.

(11-09-2010, 04:01 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: they remember their little boy.

That's very sad when put like that.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I read about this today for the first time. I don't get it, well maybe I do, kids with no direction in life and no goals get stupid ideas in their heads and the evil side of humanity is able to escape. I think back when I was that age, and I had a lot of anger and wanted to beat the crap out of everyone I laid eyes on (men) but I never thought about killing anyone, and for fun as well? What is "fun" about taking someones life from them? Have "fun" sitting in prison for the rest of your "worthless" lives....

fucking idiots.
I dont care what anyone says, when you stick a teenager in an enviroment of violent games for 8 hours a day and then they are assaulted with television, then move on to peer pressure, their morality compass becomes askew. This may be the tip of the iceberg on the coming wave of dis-enchanted youth, and I would be hard-pressed to have any pity for their parents if they let this shit happen to their children.
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
December 06, 2010

NASHUA, NH - A 21-year-old man admitted in court Monday that he hacked a mother to death and seriously wounded her young daughter during a 2009 home invasion but said he was insane when he did it.

Christopher Gribble of Brookline waived his right to a jury trial on whether he killed 42-year-old Kimberly Cates and seriously wounded her 11-year-old daughter, Jaimie.

The burden now shifts to Gribble's lawyers to prove he was insane during the Mont Vernon home invasion.

If the jury finds he was sane at the time, Gribble will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

If jurors find him not guilty by reason of insanity, Superior Court Judge Gillian Abramson would hold a hearing on whether he is a danger to society. If she finds that he is a danger, she will commit him to the secure psychiatric unit of the New Hampshire State Prison. He would then be entitled to have a review of his threat to society every five years.

Gribble answered, "Yes, your honor" when asked if he committed murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder and burglary, and tampered with a witness. He then pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to each charge.

Gribble listened intently as Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin detailed the evidence the state was prepared to present. It mirrored the evidence that was presented to the jury that convicted 19-year-old Steven Spader of first-degree murder last month.

Prosecutors say Spader wielded a machete and Gribble a knife in the attacks on the mother and daughter.

Gribble opted for a jury trial on the insanity claim. Jury selection is scheduled to begin Feb. 10.

Also Monday, Gribble's lawyers will attempt to suppress a detailed confession he gave to investigators the day after the crime. They claim investigators improperly told Gribble they were offering him "a lifeline" if he talked with him and strongly implied that he would drown under the wave of evidence if he did not cooperate.

Even though Gribble has admitted to the crimes, prosecutors are fighting the suppression motion. Gribble's tape-recorded confession is expected to show how composed he was as he detailed the crimes.

That low-life is not insane. The insanity plea is used way to often and defense lawyers will use it at every single opportunity. It does not matter if the scumbag is truly guilty and is just another notch in a lawyers belt in the end.
jesus christ.

WMUR
CONCORD, N.H. -- Attorneys for a man convicted of killing a Mont Vernon woman are appealing the verdict.

Steven Spader was convicted of killing Kimberly Cates and attempting to kill her daughter, Jaimie.

The defense plans to raise issues from the trial, including whether the court made a mistake allowing testimony about Spader's involvement in the group Disciples of Destruction and his efforts to make chloroform.

Defense attorneys also raised questions about allowing witness Kyle Fenton's identification of Spader and whether it was proper to admit evidence that Spader discussed wanting to eat his victims.

The lawyers' motion also suggests the court made a mistake in not moving the trial because of extensive media coverage.

Spader's attorneys said they are also moving to withdraw as his counsel, recommending that the court appoint him an appeals attorney.

Another suspect in the killing, Christopher Gribble, is scheduled to appear in court next week. Gribble is asking that his sanity trial be moved because of extensive media coverage.

Spader's attorneys said they are also moving to withdraw as his counsel, recommending that the court appoint him an appeals attorney.

That is because the shithead has no money. lawyers are scum sucking vermin. Now some state appointed dipshit paid for by the people will spend a few years trying to get this guy off for nothing. He will not be set free and is a waste of time.effort and money all around. I hope someone offs him with a pointy broomstick up his ass. It would save everyone a bunch of time and money.
(11-09-2010, 03:59 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-09-2010, 03:33 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: Spader’s mother, Christine Spader, wept briefly; his father was stoic.

How does a parent deal with this kind of thing, with knowing your kid is a monster? I wonder if they are ever able to get past their love for their child & see the horror that everyone else does.

Kids don't get that way on their own. They are allowed to develop into monsters. Somebody should have beat his ass and put a little fear of God into him. Some kids are spoiled to the point of ruination nowadays. This is the result. It's too late to try to fix a grown child, they should have had more guidance through the formative years.

I have been pretty lucky so far with mine. It isn't really luck, though. It took years of hard work, a little physical violence, and a lot of waiting up late nights to make sure they acquired the habits they needed to not be fucked in the head. I didn't ignore the bad things they did or give them excuses to continue. I dropped the fucking hammer. My kids would tell you they had a great childhood. They don't remember too many punishments, but the lessons did sink in. I have no sympathy for people who raised monsters. They let it happen.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I agree.
What the heck does this mean?

The judge presiding over the insanity trial of Christopher A. Gribble has issued a decision on whether to suppress his confession for participating in the murder of a Mont Vernon woman and the maiming of her daughter. However, Judge Gillian Abramson ordered the decision to be kept sealed.

Gribble's public defenders could not be reached, and assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin declined to comment
i think the judge kept it sealed so as not to taint/prejudice the jury.
everyone knows he confessed, the bullshit du jour issue at trial will be his sanity, but it's really to prevent decisions from being overturned on "judicial error". no judge wants to be overturned on appeal. it's legal tap-dancing.

AP

NASHUA, N.H. — The murder defendant in a deadly New Hampshire home invasion and machete attack testified Monday he fantasized about torturing and killing his mother from age 14 on because she abused him.

Christopher Gribble, 21, surprised courtroom observers by taking the witness stand on the heels of his mother’s testimony. He told jurors he was agitated because his mother, Tamara Gribble, had lied when she denied abusing him.

Christopher Gribble has admitted stabbing Kimberly Cates to death and trying to kill her 11-year-old daughter, Jaimie, in their Mont Vernon home in October 2009. He is now trying to convince the jury he is not guilty by reason of insanity.

Two defense experts testified Monday that he had anti-social personality traits but was not insane.

Gribble said he fantasized about taking his mother into the woods and cutting off little pieces of her "bit by bit, listening to her scream." He also said he thought about pouring boiling water "over sensitive parts of her," bending her limbs out of joint and sprinkling her with sugar so the crows would come and pluck at her.

"Hey, if I’m going to kill her, why not make her pay?" he said with a shrug.

Tamara Gribble testified that she spanked her son with a wooden spoon one time when he was 5 and wet himself. She said she hit him hard enough to break the spoon and was "devastated" afterward by her rage. She kept the broken spoon in her bureau as a reminder of her regret, she testified.

She denied other things her son had told mental health counselors, including that he was forced to vacuum the house at age 6.

She wept when she testified about the spanking and again when prosecutor Jeffery Strelzin asked about the attacks and whether now knows where Gribble was the night of Oct. 3-4, 2009.

"Yes, I do," she sobbed. "I’m sorry."

She testified he came home at about 11 a.m. Oct. 4, just hours after the predawn attacks, and ate breakfast with her at the table. After his arrest she thought the police had made a mistake.

"I said he couldn’t be this calm and normal," Tamara Gribble testified. "I couldn’t believe anyone could take a human life and not be distressed to their core."

Christopher Gribble said that, as a child and young teen, his mother regularly would pin him to the couch and told him not to make any noise while she popped acne and other sores on his back and legs and pulled hairs from his head.

"If I cried, I got smacked," he said. "She called it the owie-check."

Gribble’s two-hour testimony, which resumes Tuesday, was at times rambling and contradictory.

NH coverage here:

http://www.theunionleader.com/article.as...6e42893f7a