Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ICE ICE baby!
do you skate? ice fish?
might as well enjoy the cold hard stuff~~
my temps are going to be 0 to -5 the next few days, (you too Maggot) so my ponds and lakes and cranberry bogs will be safely frozen solid.

here are a couple photos, the frog pond in Boston Common so the city kids have a place to safely skate. (click pic, it's really cool)
and the frozen Washington Mall where i skated as a kid.
when my kids were young we skated on cranberry bogs because i knew they were shallow.
i have a big lake at the bottom of my street, will take some pics soon. i expect to see some activity out there now. it's not been safe until now.
how about you? do you like to skate?

[Image: 36_8_13.gif]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I loved to skate as a kid & my brothers had a hockey rink in our backyard that my dad made for them. Guys live & breathe hockey up there on the border. I can remember not having enough sense to come in out of the cold & crying as my feet thawed when I finally did. Dumbass. 78

I have a pond here but it doesn't get cold enough for thick ice.

Photo from last winter ~

[Image: IMG_0463.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
[Image: 1TdM.jpg]

pretty little pond Duchess! i'm surprised it doesn't freeze solid for you to enjoy.

i like this painting
The Reverend Robert Walker skating on Duddingston Loch 1795

This climate is odd, one day it can be in the 20's, the next it could be in the 50's. The ocean plays a role in our weird weather too.
i'm only a mile from the ocean, and know what you mean about its effects.
but it IS New England, and we get arctic air masses sometimes, such as this weekend. i'll bet i see a lot of ice fishing, but there is no way i'd sit out there and freeze my bazoongas off for a frozen fish! hah
here's 2 of my sons with their ice-fishing catch years ago. Smiley_emoticons_wink

.gif   fishy.gif (Size: 10.97 KB / Downloads: 81)
.gif   th_SmileyWinterIceFishing.gif (Size: 31.86 KB / Downloads: 80)

I like the pics you ladies post. I don't comment on them often, but I do look. You represent the part of American culture I am least familiar with, the 'old Americans', New Englanders.

You both remind me of transcendeltalist writings and Robert Frost poems.

A house is no home unless it contain food and fire for the mind as well as for the body. ~~ Margaret Fuller
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
well that was a nice comment Cracker, so i shall wax poetic...of course Robert Frost is a New England favorite~~

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

[Image: snowypg.jpg]

That reminds me to get out and get my fishing license. I like ice fishing just not @ -30 below that just hurts thinking about it.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
i am impressed! some beautiful backyard ice rinks here~~slideshow:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/shar...item-10453

*sigh* Long ago & far away. The slide show made me feel nostalgic.
(01-22-2011, 10:51 PM)Maggot Wrote: That reminds me to get out and get my fishing license. I like ice fishing just not @ -30 below that just hurts thinking about it.

Maggot only goes ice fishing when it's warm. 22115

a local looking for the fish. haha maybe doing fish calls~~
someone gets one~
and they cook out there on the ice.

clicky for fishy

I can recall seeing ice shacks out on the lakes & some people had quite elaborate ones, they were awesome little rooms with some comforts of home. People would drive their snowmobiles & trucks out to them. I check the weather back home a lot & there was a morning this week that it was -29.

Inside an ice shanty ~ Pretty cool, huh?

[Image: iceshanty-1.jpg]

[Image: insideiceshanty.jpg]

[Image: indoorshanty.jpg]

Not all are like this, most are not this elaborate.

i'm impressed!

I don't know who that shanty belongs to, I googled the pix.
it has no way been cold enough consistently to go out on the ice. :(

any ice fishing up there Maggot?

Signs_173

SOUTHBRIDGE, Mass. – A 27-year-old man died after falling through the ice while snowmobiling in Dudley, Mass.

Richard Redfield and two friends were snowmobiling on a pond when they fell through the ice and into the freezing water.

Redfield was submerged in the 30F to 40F water for at least 15 minutes and was unconscious when he was pulled from the pond.

[Image: 30270506_640X480.jpg]

“Each winter, injuries from hypothermia are reported, in addition to skaters and ice fishermen falling through ice, boaters and canoeists overturning in their crafts, and people chasing their unleashed pets onto the ice,” Massachusetts Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said in a statement last Tuesday. “There are several variables that affect the strength of ice on bodies of water, so many that no ice can ever be declared completely safe, especially running water in streams, brooks, rivers … The only truly safe ice is at your local skating rink.”

Plenty of people ice fishing you have to check the ice though. I would not trust a truck on it yet.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Shit, maggot, it isn't even safe for a man and his dog on Canobie.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120.../120129994

Hasn't gotten fuckin cold enough to freeze the puddle my neighbor calls a pond-he was gonna let his kids on it yesterday, until I picked up a brick and put a hole through the ice.