Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NASA~ENDEAVOUR, DISCOVERY and ATLANTIS last flights~
SPACE SHUTTLE CHALLENGER

[Image: 58940693.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I remember I was watching CNN just as the news was breaking...they were still unsure of what had happened. Very sad.
and a NH teacher in space...her class was there.

[Image: Challenger-Crew.jpg]

this is the Astronauts Memorial Space Mirror at Cape Canaveral. (Cape Kennedy). i've visited it a few times, it's beautiful in its simplicity.

[Image: 3718574623_3d00f4bd36.jpg]

Kinda mind blowing to realize 25 yrs. has passed with the speed of light.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i remember like it was yesterday. sort of like JFK assassination. some moments in time just stay with you.
my Uncle was a NASA scientist, at the Cape. he was also present when Apollo burned on the pad. and my Dad was involved deeply with the space program.
when it happened i ran over to my Dad's house saying 'turn on the TV! the shuttle blew up!!' he sadly said to me he never thought the children should have been allowed to attend a launch.

[Image: NASA-Disasters-Small.JPG]

Yesterday was the anniversary of Apollo 1, Grissom, White and Chaffee, today Challenger (STS-51) and her crew. I cringe when I watch shuttle launches and hear the words 'Go with throttles up." On Feb 1 the anniversary of Columbia (STS-107) breakup prior to landing.
President Ronald Reagan:

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’

The pic of the explosion and of the astronauts have been burned into my brain since it happened. Hard to believe it's been that long.
This was terrible, it hasn't gotten any better either in 25 years.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I am glad that some real groovy good has come from the accident. Reagans speech is a classic and many kids have been enlightened about space because of this tragedy. All the people on board of that shuttle would be proud, as their families truly are.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Maggot you do realise that the shuttle program has not taken one step forward in 30 years? They are still flying the same craft, same technology, same screwed up heat shield tiles, the same liquid fuel boosters, the same solid fuel main, it's sad what has not happened with this program since this disaster.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

one more shuttle launch in Feb. the final one. after that, i don't know what will happen with the space program.

(01-28-2011, 09:09 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Maggot you do realise that the shuttle program has not taken one step forward in 30 years? They are still flying the same craft, same technology, same screwed up heat shield tiles, the same liquid fuel boosters, the same solid fuel main, it's sad what has not happened with this program since this disaster.

But do you realize that Japan is flying shuttles up now based on the technology we Americans started and that Virgin Atlantic a private company is now on the cusp of creating a private space flight program not funded by government subsidies but bidding on along with other countries in sustaining the space station the shuttle created? You cannot even start to tell me that this technology has not launched many other projects into space. The Christa observatory is today laying the groundwork into kids fertile minds for the unknown future today. It did NOT in my book end 25 yrs ago it just got started!
(01-28-2011, 09:20 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(01-28-2011, 09:09 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Maggot you do realise that the shuttle program has not taken one step forward in 30 years? They are still flying the same craft, same technology, same screwed up heat shield tiles, the same liquid fuel boosters, the same solid fuel main, it's sad what has not happened with this program since this disaster.

But do you realize that Japan is flying shuttles up now based on the technology we Americans started and that Virgin Atlantic a private company is now on the cusp of creating a private space flight program not funded by government subsidies but bidding on along with other countries in sustaining the space station the shuttle created? You cannot even start to tell me that this technology has not launched many other projects into space. The Christa observatory is today laying the groundwork into kids fertile minds for the unknown future today. It did NOT in my book end 25 yrs ago it just got started!

Virgin atlantic, don't make me laugh, My governor spent all of our surplus on this stupid shit for the rich.

It's in my back yard maggot, that poor county got suckered into a tax hike that will never ever go away, at least the one I live in told them to take a long walk off a short pier.

the space shuttle is old out dated technology pretty much a death trap compared to the soviets.

maggot by way of trivia, what fuel was used in the very first orbital space flight? and when was that?

John Adams

(01-28-2011, 09:27 PM)IMaDick Wrote:

Virgin atlantic, don't make me laugh, My governor spent all of our surplus on this stupid shit for the rich.

It's in my back yard maggot, that poor county got suckered into a tax hike that will never ever go away, at least the one I live in told them to take a long walk off a short pier.

the space shuttle is old out dated technology pretty much a death trap compared to the soviets.

maggot by way of trivia, what fuel was used in the very first orbital space flight? and when was that?

I think it was 1961 and I believe the fuel used was the solid brain matter that fell out your armpit when you fell off your peddle-tractor. Caught in a dish still wet it bounced only once. The world sneezed.
(01-28-2011, 10:08 PM)Maggot Wrote:

I think it was 1961 and I believe the fuel used was the solid brain matter that fell out your armpit when you fell off your peddle-tractor. Caught in a dish still wet it bounced only once. The world sneezed.

both liquid and solid, gee we have made leaps and bounds in space flight, remind me again what fuels are used in the shuttle flights?

John Adams

STFU and just contemplate the human loss dipstick...Geez.
(01-28-2011, 10:25 PM)IMaDick Wrote:
(01-28-2011, 10:08 PM)Maggot Wrote:

both liquid and solid, gee we have made leaps and bounds in space flight, remind me again what fuels are used in the shuttle flights?

What year Mr. Science?
(01-28-2011, 10:29 PM)Maggot Wrote: STFU and just contemplate the human loss dipstick...Geez.

John Adams