Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STUDENT LOAN DEBT
Should it be forgiven?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(04-27-2022, 10:14 AM)Duchess Wrote: Should it be forgiven?

Yes.
Fuck no.
All these people that went to college for useless bullshit they'll never be able to do anything with aren't going to pay it back regardless. It's a scam unless you're going there with the intent on a career that pays a six figure salary or more in which case you can afford to pay it back.
I have a friend that owes 40,000 in student loans. She's never paying that shit back. The job she was able to get barely affords her to pay her 1300.00 per month rent and that's with a roomate.
If you sign a contract you pay it. What about the parents that paid or the students that paid? it's ridiculous. Rewards for being a slouch.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I never had student loan debt. My parents didn't mortgage their home or wipe out their savings for me & my brothers, my mom wrote a check. Granted, it's been awhile, but it wasn't the fricken stone-age. 

The cost these days is outrageous. It would scare me spitless to know I was drowning in debt before I even had a degree. 
Whoever holds my student loan debt has lost track of me. I haven't paid anything on my student loan debt in over a decade. And haven't received any mail about my student loan debt either. I think I owed like $17,000 last time I was paying.
(04-27-2022, 12:42 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Whoever holds my student loan debt has lost track of me. I haven't paid anything on my student loan debt in over a decade. And haven't received any mail about my student loan debt either. I think I owed like $17,000 last time  I was paying.

That's what I was saying. Are you going to go track it down now and beg to pay the $17,000 back, hell no.
College tuition hasn't always been exorbitant. I think this is a recent change and by recent, I'm thinking late 80's, early 90's. So what changed?
I dont know, my brother in law had over a $100,000 in student loan debt, but he went to college to be a computer scientist for Microsoft, not a beverage manager at TGI fridays.
(04-27-2022, 12:54 PM)sally Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 12:42 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Whoever holds my student loan debt has lost track of me. I haven't paid anything on my student loan debt in over a decade. And haven't received any mail about my student loan debt either. I think I owed like $17,000 last time  I was paying.

That's what I was saying. Are you going to go track it down now and beg to pay the $17,000 back, hell no.

HELL NO!
I really don't care if people get thier student loan debt forgiven. There are worse things probably.
I paid mine off in 2015. Felt good. And I use my degree in my current work.

Where is this money coming from to do this?
Is it every student? That is a lot.

I just read that people are having their social security checks garnished to pay back their student loans.
(04-27-2022, 06:39 PM)Duchess Wrote: I just read that people are having their social security checks garnished to pay back their student loans.

Sounds crazy but that’s true! Looked it up, “federal debt” including student loans.  Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

There are a lot of opinions out there in regards to this topic. I read one woman say she will be livid if the debt is cancelled and I read another who is well into middle-age say she only recently finished off paying hers and that just because she suffered through it didn't mean she wanted those who come after her to suffer as well. There are those who want it paid come hell or high water and then there are those who would be glad others don't go through what they have.
They don't want others to have to pay off their debt like they had to? I dont even understand that ridiculous train of thought. Going to work and paying off your debts are part of life, it's not pain and suffering for Christ's sake.
College education is grossly overvalued at this point in time. It's a rip-off.
The debts have increased/loans and cost to ridiculous amounts.

Corporations and billionaires are forgiven of debts, why not this? (@ Sally)

(04-28-2022, 06:09 PM)rothschild Wrote: College education is grossly overvalued at this point in time. It's a rip-off.

I think there is value to higer education, and value in trade schools. When I was in HS I was told by the counselors that if I didn't go to a 4 year I was a loser, or if I didn't have a sports scholorship I was a loser.

They were remodeling the school where I used to live and a bunch of kids got to do head start programs with the college and it worked out great for a lot of them.

The fees nowadays for college are ridiculous.