Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The DUI exception to the Constitution
Very interesting read, assuming you don't have the attention span of a gnat (it's a lengthy one, but also has an audio version). He's basically saying that when it comes to DUI's, that the Constitution of the United States doesnt apply. Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously not advocating drunk driving, however I am puzzled as to some of the rulings handed down by the Supreme Court, as they are supposed to be bound by the Constitution.

Clickity-click-click-click
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

(02-26-2011, 12:28 PM)thekid65 Wrote: assuming you don't have the attention span of a gnat

It's not that of a gnat but it is that of a two yr. old. Smiley_emoticons_slash

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Interesting discourse, of course it's ineffectual as long as people remain sheep to be lead to the slaughter.

wear your fucking seatbelts ,the sundial starting point for the deterioration of our individual rights and freedoms.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

The DUI checkpoint thing has always bugged the living shit out of me, I simply don't understand how any court could find that practice constitutional.

Here in I-dee-ho, it used to be that you could refuse the breathalyzer, and pretty much just end up with a suspended license for a year...no DUI conviction. Now, they actually force you to do a blood test should you refuse the breathalyzer. But after reading that article, I think I'd willingly submit to a blood test...it sounds as if the science behind the breathalyzer is totally bogus.

I do remember the days when the BAC limit was .15, or .16...I wish he would have spent more time on that issue, and the reasoning behind the lowering of the limit (other than pressure from MADD). I've probably been pulled over maybe 3 times in the last 15 years or so for speeding. I guarantee at least one of those times, had I been tested, I probably would have blown a .08 or higher (right after a round of golf, in which I had probably consumed 8 beers or so)...but yet I spoke coherently to the officer, and even passed a mini-sobriety test (he asked me to recite the alphabet, of which I had no problem). I just got a rightfully deserved speeding ticket.

I don't know what the fairest way would be to go about determining if a person has had too much to drink in order to drive safely, but it defo appears that our current system is unfair, and unconstitutional. Alcohol obviously affects each person on an individual basis..and is clearly not cut and dry...yet a simple DUI conviction has the potential for really screwing up a persons life, whther they were too impaired to drive, or not. At the same time, somebody driving drunk has the real potential of completely fucking up another persons life, or in the worst of cases, ending an innocent persons life...so I can see where some type of limit needs to be established.

I would think the fairest way to do it would be to come up with a battery of motor skills tests that could be performed at the jail, inside, and away from the potential distractions cited by the author of the article (flashing lights, traffic, sloped easements, ect, ect.)
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

Drink drivers shouldn't just be breathlysed they should be shot. Having been in two smashes caused by assholes who had only had "a couple of drinks", I think if you test positive the cops should be allowed to push your car over a cliff with you still sitting in it.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(02-26-2011, 02:07 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: Drink drivers shouldn't just be breathlysed they should be shot. Having been in two smashes caused by assholes who had only had "a couple of drinks", I think if you test positive the cops should be allowed to push your car over a cliff with you still sitting in it.

Respect-applause

So, OP.. how would you determine is someone was too drunk to drive safely? And LC, I figured you'd be a proponent of sobriety checkpoints, yes?

I limit myself to one drink or two beers if I am out for dinner for a few hours. If it is a quick meal, I just don't drink. I don't want to lose everything I have because I can't drive to work. It has nothing to do with preventing harm to others. It's all about me.

We are trampling the Constitution lately. I can barely muster outrage at this point. If real Americans would raise more hell, and not just the militia groups, I would feel more hopeful about where we are headed...
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(02-26-2011, 02:21 PM)thekid65 Wrote: So, OP.. how would you determine is someone was too drunk to drive safely? And LC, I figured you'd be a proponent of sobriety checkpoints, yes?

yes. because i have seen too many brains and guts and heads spread across the pavement.
i DO believe in the Constitution, anyone who has "read" me over the years knows that. and in my Dept. we did take them to the jail for a thorough sobriety test and breathalyzer before charging them. and yes, if they refused, i woke an unhappy judge up in the middle of the night and got an order for a blood test.

THE FUCKERS NEED TO GET OFF THE ROAD BY ANY FAIR MEANS!

And that's just it, Cracker...let's say you have just 2 beers.. and get pulled over and blow a .08 I'm sure your cool to drive after only a couple of beers..but yet by the law...

(02-26-2011, 02:28 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:
(02-26-2011, 02:21 PM)thekid65 Wrote: So, OP.. how would you determine is someone was too drunk to drive safely? And LC, I figured you'd be a proponent of sobriety checkpoints, yes?

yes. because i have seen too many brains and guts and heads spread across the pavement.
i DO believe in the Constitution, anyone who has "read" me over the years knows that. and in my Dept. we did take them to the jail for a thorough sobriety test and breathalyzer before charging them. and yes, if they refused, i woke an unhappy judge up in the middle of the night and got an order for a blood test.

LC, did you spend the time to read that article? If not, please do. Again, I'm not condoning drunk driving...what I'm griping about is the methodology that Johnny is using to determine if someone is "drunk".

I like watching field sobriety tests.

While the suspect is attempting to perform the commands, the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever is playing in my head.

I laugh more when it’s an old white guy.
It only takes ONE drink to effect your physical and spatial judgement, you might not be able to perceive it yourself but it is there, you shouldn't drink ANYTHING that can effect your judgement before operating two tons of speeding metal on a public highway.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(02-26-2011, 02:44 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: It only takes ONE drink to effect your physical and spatial judgement, you might not be able to perceive it yourself but it is there, you shouldn't drink ANYTHING that can effect your judgement before operating two tons of speeding metal on a public highway.

Lightweight.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(02-26-2011, 02:28 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:

I believe in the law, but common sense dictates that if the law violates the constitution then it's no law, and common sense says that some laws concerning DUI are very unconstitutional.

The 5th ammendment is the most obvious.

fishing with DUI check points is probably the most offensive prior to arrest.

look at it this way, if the sobrity check point is anywhere but at the exit from the bar, then citizens are being allowed to drive drunk for who knows how many miles before encountering the check point.

it's stupid, if you want to stop drunk drivers then you stop them before they drive.

and law enforcement should take an active role in prevention not just apprehension.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

^^^ heh

Edit: Oops, the "heh" was to Crackers response.

Dick:
and law enforcement should take an active role in prevention not just apprehension.

good luck with that.

LC, I know ya'll got a bitch of a job, and I respect that...but pulling over drivers w/o cause is unconstitutional. Simple as that.

(02-26-2011, 03:04 PM)thekid65 Wrote: LC, I know ya'll got a bitch of a job, and I respect that...but pulling over drivers w/o cause is unconstitutional. Simple as that.

i didn't do traffic. but aside from that, if they are all over the road, or stink like a brewery at checkpoint, fuck 'em.

(02-26-2011, 02:55 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: Dick:

good luck with that.

Ya there is no money in prevention.

I used to be able to sleep it off in my van, the laws changed and that is now considered DUI.

it's not just driving anymore it's control of the keys. how the fuck is asleep in the back seat considered driving?

it's an assumption of guilt (that you could drive) because you have the keys to the car that you will be found guilty of because you blew above .08.

all I'm saying is you can't sacrifice freedom and rights in the name of anything, it's the government dictatng your rights, and when that happens you have no rights.
John Adams