Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
While we were sleeping...Earthquakes and Tsunamis
It is starting to hit the west coast now. Water is receding.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-11-2011, 12:18 PM)Maggot Wrote: It is starting to hit the west coast now. Water is receding.

Yep, up in the Humblodt area. I also have family in Marin County. Just talk to my brother in Bolinas (about an hr above SF) Him and his dogs are staying put, dumbass is right on the ocean.

evidently hundreds are dead in Japan.

Japanese police say 200 to 300 bodies have been found in a northeastern coastal area where a massive earthquake spawned a ferocious tsunami Friday that swept away boats, cars and homes.

The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake -- the largest in Japan's history -- unleashed a 23-foot tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0.

i want to see Godzilla.

[Image: TSUNAMI%20Fire%20Flood%20Japan.jpg]

[Image: godzilla_poster_430.jpg]

Friend in Hawaii just checked in. They're all ok...

Godzilla is pissed.
I'm in California and I learned about it from a PM from Duchess. As I told her, I guess I should turn on the news before I check in at Mock.

Some schools in my county are closed but we live far enough inland that it's not an issue for us personally.

I'm still just finding out what's happening but I'm troubled by the shut down at the nuclear power plant.
Commando Cunt Queen
(03-11-2011, 01:33 PM)username Wrote: I'm in California and I learned about it from a PM from Duchess. As I told her, I guess I should turn on the news before I check in at Mock.

Some schools in my county are closed but we live far enough inland that it's not an issue for us personally.

I'm still just finding out what's happening but I'm troubled by the shut down at the nuclear power plant.

No worry, we got Gov. Brown in charge Smiley_emoticons_skeptisch.

stunning photos from Japan.
link to slideshow:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/03/w...tml?hpt=T1

CRESCENT CITY, CA (AP) - Officials say the tsunami triggered by the massive earthquake in Japan has killed one person, swept three others out to sea and caused severe damage to the harbor in Crescent City, near the Oregon border.

ABC affiliate KDRV confirmed that the waves pulled the four out to sea late Friday morning. Two of the other people were found alive and one is still unaccounted for.

Del Norte County sheriff's spokesman Bill Stevens said most boats were pulled out of the harbor in preparation for Friday's tsunami, but 35 vessels that remained are crashing into one another and sinking.

The wooden docks also were breaking apart under the force of the waves.

Crescent City Councilwoman Kelly Schellong said the docks and harbor "are pretty much completely destroyed."

I just heard from my sister in Hawaii, she's all good.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I wish I would hear from my other friend. He lives on Maui. Smiley_emoticons_slash
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-11-2011, 03:57 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: CRESCENT CITY, CA (AP) - Officials say the tsunami triggered by the massive earthquake in Japan has killed one person, swept three others out to sea and caused severe damage to the harbor in Crescent City, near the Oregon border.

I think the dumbot was taking pictures at the time.
Commando Cunt Queen
(03-11-2011, 10:52 AM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: So scary and sad. On top of a few of my kids leaving soon(one waiting on second test to declare brain death, another in last stage of dipg with hours left) this day us just full of sad.

??
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(03-11-2011, 05:54 PM)Cracker Wrote: ??

I was afraid to go there. Smiley_emoticons_slash

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
they're all going to China~~

Tokyo (CNN) -- Japanese authorities rushed Friday to cool down fears as well as high temperatures inside a nuclear power plant rattled by Friday's mammoth earthquake, with the nation's prime minister planning a trip to personally inspect the atomic facility.

The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor, about 160 miles (260 kilometers) north of Tokyo, "remains at a high temperature" because it "cannot cool down," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

reports say radiation 1000x normal.
could cause meltdown of reactor.
#
2149: The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

Kaneohe Bay seems to have sustained only minor damage. They were telling me about having a small earthquake last week, but I didn't think anything about it.

This kinda pissed me off:
"Hawaiian Electric Co. has opened its emergency command center and is implementing its tsunami plans, according to Peter Rosegg, Hawaiian Electric spokesman.

Striking members of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers are still out, Rosegg said, adding that the electric company has an agreement with the union that workers will return to work in case of a "major emergency."

"We have an agreement, but until we know the extent of the emergency we will not know what we need," Rosegg said.

Meanwhile, HECO is moving its emergency vehicles to higher ground and Rosegg said it is shifting generation to facilities that are the least threatened by a tsunami.

"We are prepared with nonunion and management crews," Rosegg said.

About 1,300 IBEW members went on strike Friday."

WTF? Strike later, assholes.

It's sad the people of Japan didn't have enough warning to evacuate completely.

(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(03-11-2011, 05:54 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(03-11-2011, 10:52 AM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: So scary and sad. On top of a few of my kids leaving soon(one waiting on second test to declare brain death, another in last stage of dipg with hours left) this day us just full of sad.

??

(03-11-2011, 05:58 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(03-11-2011, 05:54 PM)Cracker Wrote: ??

I was afraid to go there. Smiley_emoticons_slash

Sorry. Really sad day in hospital this morning. One of the little ones had an accident several days ago and didn't recover. He passed quietly this morning. And one of my long time kiddies slipped into a coma yesterday. She is in the last stages of actively dying. Always sad to be there, but some days are just heartbreaking.
(03-11-2011, 06:20 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: Sorry. Really sad day in hospital this morning. One of the little ones had an accident several days ago and didn't recover. He passed quietly this morning. And one of my long time kiddies slipped into a coma yesterday. She is in the last stages of actively dying. Always sad to be there, but some days are just heartbreaking.

Geez, are you at a Children's hospital? I don't know how doctors/nurses can do what they do. I'd be an emotional wreck after watching kids die.
It's hard to love other people sometimes. Sorry, honey. I won't offer any platitudes. Some things in this life just suck.
(03-11-2011, 06:20 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: Sorry. Really sad day in hospital this morning. One of the little ones had an accident several days ago and didn't recover. He passed quietly this morning. And one of my long time kiddies slipped into a coma yesterday. She is in the last stages of actively dying. Always sad to be there, but some days are just heartbreaking.

By the way, if I didn't say it, I'm sorry for the loss of those two, as I am for any child. I thought that went without saying, but just wanted you to know.

I've been following the story of a 9-year old boy here in the Twin Cities on CaringBridge. He's got cancerous tumors that he's been fighting for 2 12 years. His mother will post updates on the site from time to time, and the other day she posted that his tumors are growing, that the chemo has run its course, and that essentially, surgery is not an option.

Reading his mothers comments yesterday, and those of the well wishers, I just started breaking down right at work. Holy shit! How do people contain their emotions when there's that much sadness? I am not able to.
My brother is emailing a Japanese colleague in Sendai, at this very moment.

She is a Japanese judge who was examining American jurisprudence (specifically trial by jury), as the Japanese use a three judge panel to decide cases. No trial by jury.

Sendai was destroyed by the quake.