Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
While we were sleeping...Earthquakes and Tsunamis
Midwest, yes. It's a children's hospital. I'm part of the child life team. And thank you. The little one who left this morning we really didn't know. He came to us already sleeping. He was so little though. Poor lil guy...
My girlie...that's a tough one. Sometimes you just get attached. That's when it hurts almost unbearably.

Containing emotion isn't something necessary in a place like that. We cry with everyone. Part of you toughens up enough to hold it together when needed, but if mom breaks down, chances are she has company.

Caring bridge is an incredible site. They do so much for supporting families. Can't count how many times I've helped folks set up a page.

Cracker, indeed they do suck. Platitudes aren't necessary, but a drink would be welcome Smiley_emoticons_wink

(03-11-2011, 05:59 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: they're all going to China~~

Tokyo (CNN) -- Japanese authorities rushed Friday to cool down fears as well as high temperatures inside a nuclear power plant rattled by Friday's mammoth earthquake, with the nation's prime minister planning a trip to personally inspect the atomic facility.

The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor, about 160 miles (260 kilometers) north of Tokyo, "remains at a high temperature" because it "cannot cool down," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

reports say radiation 1000x normal.
could cause meltdown of reactor.
#
2149: The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the
radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

That's terrifying! I really hope they get that under control.

(03-11-2011, 06:51 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: My brother is emailing a Japanese colleague in Sendai, at this very moment.

She is a Japanese judge who was examining American jurisprudence (specifically trial by jury), as the Japanese use a three judge panel to decide cases. No trial by jury.

Sendai was destroyed by the quake.

Emailing as in trying to reach her? Or getting new info?

Sendai is the place they showed the airport being hit, right?

FB -

Hang tough, Doll.

Being in the barrel sucks.
[quote='Cracker' pid='144160' dateline='1299846134']
They evacuated the areas close to the beach in Hawaii. The tsumani is expected to hit in 45 mins.

Be prepared, peeps in California. Just in case.
[/qS

Some peeps in town here are packing up and going into NV for a few....
My friends in Santa Cruz are waiting on word about their home that is in danger at this very moment of sliding down a hill......They told me the waves are just unreal.
Most people don't understand the difference between regular waves (surface waves) and tsunami waves (seismic sea waves). Surface waves are caused by wind the uneven floor of the continental shelf that extends a short way into the ocean. Only the surface waters (about 10 meters deep) are affected. Tsunami waves are the entire ocean surging, much more water involved.

I hope the surfers in Cali understand this difference.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(03-11-2011, 07:46 PM)Cracker Wrote: I hope the surfers in Cali understand this difference.

Most watermen know the difference.

Unfortunately, the lure of the wave overrides the body's instinct of self preservation.

a second nuke is compromised:

Japan issues state of emergency at another nuclear power plant after cooling system failure. The location of the second plant is unclear.

The nuclear safety agency said early Saturday that some radiation has also seeped outside the plant, prompting calls for further evacuations of the area. Some 3,000 people have already been urged to leave their homes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-11-2011, 07:46 PM)Cracker Wrote: Most people don't understand the difference between regular waves (surface waves) and tsunami waves (seismic sea waves). Surface waves are caused by wind the uneven floor of the continental shelf that extends a short way into the ocean. Only the surface waters (about 10 meters deep) are affected. Tsunami waves are the entire ocean surging, much more water involved.

I hope the surfers in Cali understand this difference.

Most of the die hard surfers here are too dumb or reckless to care.
(03-11-2011, 07:06 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: FB -

Hang tough, Doll.

Being in the barrel sucks.

Always. And yes it does...sometimes it smells, too.
(03-11-2011, 08:12 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: a second nuke is compromised:

Japan issues state of emergency at another nuclear power plant after cooling system failure. The location of the second plant is unclear.

The nuclear safety agency said early Saturday that some radiation has also seeped outside the plant, prompting calls for further evacuations of the area. Some 3,000 people have already been urged to leave their homes.

All nuclear plants are an earthquake away from failure.

Most plants have a life expectancy of 30 years (40 at the outside) before they become too degraded to be safe. America has around a hundred nuclear power plants, most of them built in the late 60's or early 70's. You do the math.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
i know. i live not too far from one. a number of my friends when i lived up here years ago were nuke plant operators, and their favorite expression was "we're all going to china".
and since my Dad designed some of our earliest reactor vessels for land and for nuke subs (the metals and their fracture properties) i am well aware of what can go wrong. it's some scary shit. i think the locals in the area just live with it and try not to think about it, since it's been there so long.

[Image: Homer.jpg]

Has the title of this thread changed or am I going nuts?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
wow. makes Haiti look like a trip to disney world.

In the town of Minamisanriku, 9,500 people are unaccounted for, Japan's Kyodo News Agency reported, citing local officials. That figure is about half the population of the town, which is located on the Pacific, the news agency said.

Is it a meltdown?

(03-12-2011, 01:21 PM)Maggot Wrote: Is it a meltdown?

They probably took them offline. The cooling water is usually the main concern. You don't want that shit mixed in with your drinking water or groundwater.
If there was a meltdown do you think it would become news right away? What a panic. People would be moving outta Cali faster than they already are now.
[5:48 p.m. ET, 7:48 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors, an official with Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency told CNN Sunday.

A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release. However, Toshiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, expressed confidence that efforts to control the crisis would prove successful.

Meanwhile, a second reactor at the same facility failed shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said, according to TV Asahi. The power company said it was having difficulty cooling the reactor and may need to release radioactive steam in order to relieve pressure.

Anything over 750 rads is very bad.
LATEST UPDATE: Japan's nuclear safety agency reports there is an emergency at second reactor in the same complex where an explosion occurred earlier as nearly 170,000 people have been evacuated from the areas around two nuclear power plants.

Oh-Oh Smiley_emoticons_shocked Big trouble in little China. Fucking aftershocks!