Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
While we were sleeping...Earthquakes and Tsunamis
interesting.
CNN
The layer of human turmoil - looting and scuffles for food or services - that often comes in the wake of disaster seems noticeably absent in Japan.

“Looting simply does not take place in Japan. I’m not even sure if there’s a word for it that is as clear in its implications as when we hear ‘looting,’" said Gregory Pflugfelder, director of the Donald Keene Center of Japanese Culture at Columbia University.

Japanese have “a sense of being first and foremost responsible to the community,” he said.

To Merry White, an anthropology professor at Boston University who studies Japanese culture , the real question is why looting and disorder exist in American society. She attributes it largely to social alienation and class gaps. Blah-blah-0006Blah-blah-0006

"There IS some alienation and indeed some class gaps in Japan too but violence, and taking what belongs to others, are simply not culturally approved or supported," White said

(03-11-2011, 07:01 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: Midwest, yes. It's a children's hospital. I'm part of the child life team.

Notworthy It will be tough but I'll still try and be mean to you on occassion.

Lush. Cheers
Commando Cunt Queen
hot leaking reactors. i think they're FUKUSHIMA'd

FoxNews
KORIYAMA, Japan – Japanese officials were struggling Sunday with a growing nuclear crisis and the threat of multiple meltdowns, as more than 170,000 people were evacuated from the quake- and tsunami-savaged northeastern coast where police fear more than 10,000 people may have already died.

A partial meltdown was already likely under way at one nuclear reactor, a top official said, and operators were frantically trying to keep temperatures down at the power plant's other units and prevent the disaster from growing even worse.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Sunday that a hydrogen explosion could occur at Unit 3 of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex, the reactor that could be melting down. That would follow a blast the day before in the power plant's Unit 1, as operators attempted to prevent a meltdown by injecting sea water into it.

[Image: radioactive-radiation-symbol.jpg]

Watching that disastrous devastation on TV, seemed like watching many of the over the top Japanese disaster movies. Just unbelievable in real life! Heartbreaking to say the least!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

The talking heads are saying that this will actually "improve" their economy. By creating cleanup and rebuild jobs.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-12-2011, 11:11 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: interesting.

“Looting simply does not take place in Japan. I’m not even sure if there’s a word for it that is as clear in its implications as when we hear ‘looting,’" said Gregory Pflugfelder, director of the Donald Keene Center of Japanese Culture at Columbia University.

Japanese have “a sense of being first and foremost responsible to the community,”

That IS pretty interesting. Kind of awesome, too

(03-13-2011, 12:08 AM)username Wrote:
(03-11-2011, 07:01 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: Midwest, yes. It's a children's hospital. I'm part of the child life team.

Notworthy It will be tough but I'll still try and be mean to you on occassion.

Lush. Cheers

As long as there are free drinks... Smiley_emoticons_smile. Cheers

(03-13-2011, 10:10 AM)Carsman Wrote: Watching that disastrous devastation on TV, seemed like watching many of the over the top Japanese disaster movies. Just unbelievable in real life!

Heartbreaking to say the least!

Very heartbreaking. But some images are downright hilarious in a way. Houses slowly floating down the street...

Hubby and I were watching footage at a restaurant last night and the live video of a reporter went wonky for a sec. She looked like half her face was melting...as she talked about the meltdown. It was creepy!

(03-13-2011, 10:39 AM)Maggot Wrote: The talking heads are saying that this will actually "improve" their economy. By creating cleanup and rebuild jobs.

Not to mention the team that has to clean up Godzilla poop.

Yes. I said poop.

(03-12-2011, 01:21 PM)Maggot Wrote: Is it a meltdown?

Smiley_emoticons_shocked Goddamn that map, Maggot!
Commando Cunt Queen
(03-13-2011, 03:03 PM)username Wrote:

do some googling, it's a fabrication....
Fug duh kund
If the Japanese can't control their nuclear plants, we really need to think about our program. We are a disaster waiting to happen. And if you hate traffic on Spring Break, imagine trying to leave your community during an evacuation.

Something to think about, for sure.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

I'm sure that our government has taken the steps to protect us, when I look out my window I see, well nothing, I see no radioactive test stations set up, I see no mobilization in the event of, I see no warnings or information on the TV, or hear none on the radio.

I mean why act now? we may have a couple of days advance warning.

Thats because there is no plan, there is no protocol, there are no services, there is not a fucking thing in place to help us in case of an accident of this type.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(03-13-2011, 03:16 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Thats because there is no plan, there is no protocol, there are no services, there is not a fucking thing in place to help us in case of an accident of this type.

And they don't care.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-13-2011, 03:07 PM)Luke Warmwater Wrote:

Smiley_emoticons_slash I guess I'll stop packing.

Fucking nuclear plants should be outlawed. Alternative energy, dammit.

Did that make me sound liberal?
Commando Cunt Queen
(03-13-2011, 03:19 PM)username Wrote: Did that make me sound liberal?

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]

Look at this map and see how the air currents have taken the Chernobyl accident fallout. It goes past Japan and directly towards the west coast. The accident is happening much closer this time. I believe the map is correct although the rads may be a bit low.

Princeton fallout map

(03-13-2011, 03:16 PM)IMaDick Wrote:

I'm sure that our government has taken the steps to protect us, when I look out my window I see, well nothing, I see no radioactive test stations set up, I see no mobilization in the event of, I see no warnings or information on the TV, or hear none on the radio.

Thats because there is no plan, there is no protocol, there are no services, there is not a fucking thing in place to help us in case of an accident of this type.

The NRC DOES have protocol, there IS a policy. Might be time to read it if you are unaware: http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness.html
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

I don't think feel like I should have to explain mathematical modeling to an adult, but I feel I must warn you against the conspiracy to use mathematical modeling to predict weather across the nation. Your local news channel and the National Weather Service are all complicit. You can only trust NPR at this point, and then only if you are wearing your tin foil hat...
I am hoping that there is not multiple meltdowns, one they can handle but throw 2-3 in there and there is a BIG mess. This will probably not be as bad as the Russian mess though. Japan has a better setup. Hopefully thats good enough.
(03-13-2011, 03:31 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(03-13-2011, 03:16 PM)IMaDick Wrote:

The NRC DOES have protocol, there IS a policy. Might be time to read it if you are unaware: http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness.html

I know about the CYOA website.

where are the resources being dispensed at?

where do I go to get them locally?

why am I expected to deliver my own ass in a national emergency?

we send billions in foreign aide around the world and here we sit largely unprepared, and definitely underfunded to care for our own.

If there is even a remote possibility that fallout exceeding 200 rads can reach this country we should already be mobilized ,things like iodine tablets should be being dispensed in the generated risk areas , as well as evacuation maps,and elderly,disabled,and other mobility impaired people should be made ready to move days before anything happens.

reaction after the fact will be impossible, any thinking person knows that already.\ once a person is saturated with radioactivity it's over.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(03-13-2011, 04:05 PM)IMaDick Wrote: where are the resources being dispensed at?

we send billions in foreign aide around the world and here we sit largely unprepared, and definitely underfunded to care for our own.

If there is even a remote possibility that fallout exceeding 200 rads can reach this country we should already be mobilized ,things like iodine tablets should be being dispensed in the generated risk areas , as well as evacuation maps,and elderly,disabled,and other mobility impaired people should be made ready to move days before anything happens.

reaction after the fact will be impossible, any thinking person knows that already.\ once a person is saturated with radioactivity it's over.

Would you like Air Force One to come get you, Dick?

Jesus Christ. You need the gov't to tell you to get the fuck out of town and where to go? They will be busy saving their own asses. Maybe they can text you to remind you to get gas and bring food and water.

I think different states and counties have different routes/evacuation areas. Most of them are school gyms.
(03-13-2011, 04:46 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(03-13-2011, 04:05 PM)IMaDick Wrote: where are the resources being dispensed at?

Would you like Air Force One to come get you, Dick?

Jesus Christ. You need the gov't to tell you to get the fuck out of town and where to go? They will be busy saving their own asses. Maybe they can text you to remind you to get gas and bring food and water.

I think different states and counties have different routes/evacuation areas. Most of them are school gyms.

Thanks for adding the exclaimation point to my post.

we already know that the government has built for itself the infrastructure to survive.

We the People are fucked.

John Adams