Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Kathryn Filiberti - Murdered
This happened a little while ago, I was also surprised Mockers didn't jump on this one!! The Poughkeepsie Jornal has been covering this case A LOT and there are HUNDREDS of comments (that POJO keeps removing once they catch them) regarding speculation of who commited the murder.

HYDE PARK – Police have released the identity of the woman who was found murdered in Hyde Park on Saturday. The body of Kathryn Filiberti, 18, of Hyde Park, was discovered just after noon on Saturday in the Greentree Drive area of the town.

Town Police Chief Charles Broe said they are looking to speak with anyone who may have been on Route 9G between Green Bush Drive south of West Dorsey Lane and Greentree Drive between late Friday evening and early Saturday morning.

“We are looking at this case from a number of angles right now, both from an investigative standpoint, from a technology standpoint, from an evidence gathering standpoint,” Broe said. “We have a large number of personnel from Hyde Park and even more from the sheriff’s office as well as the other agencies that have contributed manpower and different types of equipment.”

Anyone in that area during those times and may have seen anything suspicious is asked to call the police. Hyde Park Police may be reached at 845-229-9340; the Tip line is 845-229-7788. The Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office is at 845-486-3800.

All information provided by callers will be kept strictly confidential

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2011/M...Mar11.html

---

HYDE PARK — Ground searches, evidence collection, background checks, interviews, social media searches.

Town Police Chief Charles Broe Sr. said the "very active" investigation into the slaying of 18-year-old Kathryn Filiberti continued to move forward as dawn breaks on day five of the search for her killer.
On Tuesday, searches were conducted along Route 9G, and officials said they were awaiting more information from the autopsy.
Meanwhile, a Hyde Park man who identified himself as Filiberti's boyfriend pushed for resolution to the case.
"I do believe (police) are trying, but I think they could try harder. I just really want to find" her killer, Mike Delarm said. The 19-year-old Hyde Park resident said he had been dating Filiberti.
Delarm told the Journal on Tuesday that he was the last one to see her alive at a party at a friend's house off Route 9G.
Filiberti's best friend, Lindsay McGarril, 18, regrets not being able to be with Filiberti the last moments she was seen alive. She said she was supposed to be at the party, but didn't have a ride.
"If I was there she wouldn't be dead," McGarril said.
She described Delarm as her best friend's "on-again, off-again" boyfriend.
Sobbing, Delarm described Filiberti as " the ideal girlfriend" who loved to watch the CBS show "Two and a Half Men" with him.
"She was the most unselfish person you can ever imagine. She was perfect," he said.
They met in French class at Franklin D. Roosevelt High School and Delarm flirted with her for a whole year before she agreed to date him, he said.
Friends have described Filiberti, a 2010 FDR High graduate who was enrolled at Dutchess Community College, as a well-liked athlete — beautiful inside and out.
Delarm admitted he wasn't the "greatest guy in the world" but she loved him anyway.
Broe continued to stress he could not comment on "anything that would jeopardize the progress of the investigation."
About the pending autopsy results, Dr. Kari Reiber, the chief medical examiner for Dutchess County, said Tuesday, "There's quite a bit of information we don't have yet." A toxicology report could take four to six weeks.
(Page 2 of 2)
Broe said police have received a number of tips they are following. He wouldn't comment on the condition of the body when it was found just after noon Saturday off Greentree Drive or whether DNA was found at the scene.
Broe disputed television news reports regarding details of the victim's wounds.
"I would hope that people would be patient and let police agencies involved do what they have to do," he said. "I sympathize with the anxiety that people are feeling. Go about your daily routines. That's all I can say."
Delarm said he was with Filiberti at the party, about five miles away from where her body was found Saturday.
He said she was upset because someone she didn't like was also at the party. They argued and she walked away from him, he thought to go cool off, he said.
"I could have stopped her from leaving," he said.
Delarm was charged with second-degree gang assault by Town of Poughkeepsie Police in a Jan. 23, 2010, incident at the McDonald's across from Marist College. The status of the case was not known late Tuesday.
Broe said police have received a number of tips they are following. He wouldn't comment on the condition of the body when it was found just after noon Saturday off Greentree Drive or whether DNA was found at the scene.
Broe disputed television news reports regarding details of the victim's wounds.
"I would hope that people would be patient and let police agencies involved do what they have to do," he said. "I sympathize with the anxiety that people are feeling. Go about your daily routines. That's all I can say."
Delarm said he was with Filiberti at the party, about five miles away from where her body was found Saturday.
He said she was upset because someone she didn't like was also at the party. They argued and she walked away from him, he thought to go cool off, he said.
"I could have stopped her from leaving," he said.
Delarm was charged with second-degree gang assault by Town of Poughkeepsie Police in a Jan. 23, 2010, incident at the McDonald's across from Marist College. The status of the case was not known late Tuesday.
Anyone with information about Filiberti may call town police at 845-229-9340 or the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office at 845-486-3800

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...nav%7Chead

---

When this first happened I was reading the PoJo comments on this article and MD's mom was all over the place defending her son. A lot of the locals were commenting on the article stating the day after KF was found murdered MD uploaded all kinds of pictures on FB of Kathryn with disturbing comments about how perfect they were and what not, when it seems as though they had a rocky relationship. Other people have speculated that it may have been MD's brother TD and his Girlfriend (don't know her name), because of the area the body was found in, but ALSO because APPARENTLY TD had a known crush on the murder victim and TD's girlfriend was jealous.

Facial mutilation tends to be a jealousy issue. Not someone unknown to her. Her friend has run to media going on about how she feels guilt etc. Her wording is strange, at best.
a tragic loss.

[Image: bilde?Site=BK&Date=20110323&Category=NEW...0&Border=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The teenager who has identified himself as the boyfriend of Kathryn Filiberti, the 18-year-old New York college student who was found dead last week, told AOL News via Facebook that people should not believe what they are reading in the news about the case.

"Don't believe what's in the news and newspapers," Mike Delarm wrote. "[Their] sources aren't from the police or people who [knew] Katie."

Kathryn Filiberti was found dead March 19 in Hyde Park, N.Y.Earlier this week, Delarm, 19, told the Poughkeepsie Journal that he was the last person to see Filiberti alive. The Dutchess Community College student's body was found on March 19 near Greentree Park in the Dutchess County town of Hyde Park, about 75 miles north of New York City.

Delarm told the Journal that he had been at a party with her on the night of March 18, just hours before her body was found some five miles away. Delarm said that Filiberti was upset because someone she did not like had been at the party. "They argued, and she walked away from him, he thought to go cool off," the newspaper reported.

In a Facebook message to AOL News, Delarm said he wanted to clarify that he did not get into an argument with Filiberti before she disappeared.

"We didn't get into a fight," he wrote. "She was aggravated because of a couple of people at the [party] she didn't like."

An autopsy on Filiberti was completed March 20, and her death is listed as a homicide, but authorities have declined to elaborate. "The cause and manner of death is pending," Dr. Kari Reiber, the county's chief medical examiner, told AOL News.

Authorities have yet to confirm local media reports that Filiberti had been stabbed multiple times in the face and the chest.

Delarm and two other men were arrested in Poughkeepsie in January in connection with an alleged gang assault, according to the Mid-Hudson News Network. The men were charged with second-degree assault and remanded to jail in lieu of $10,000 bail, the newspaper reported.

Repeated calls to the Dutchess County District Attorney's Office have not been returned, so the disposition of the case remains unclear. According to Delarm, he was not charged.

"[I was not] charged with anything ... it was not a gang assault and ... the kid in the hospital didn't almost die at all. He had minor injuries," Delarm said.

Earlier this week, Filiberti's best friend, Lindsay McGarril, described Delarm to the Journal as Filiberti's "on-again, off-again" boyfriend. In a separate interview with AOL News, McGarril said that Filiberti often put her friends and Delarm first.

McGarril declined to go into detail about the case today. She said that Delarm had deleted his Facebook page because he was "being harassed." She said Filiberti's family had asked her not to speak with the media anymore.

"I'm listening to their wishes," she told AOL News. "I've told you about her and as much as I could about the case, and that's all I can say."

Delarm was also hesitant to go into many details about the case.

"I could jeopardize the investigation by saying too much, but I can say that everyone loved Katie [and] no one hated her."

Delarm added, "I love her and I wish I could switch positions with her. When she was murdered, so was I. I'm never gonna be normal again without my Katie Kat."

Further comment from Delarm will have to wait until the individual responsible for her death has been caught, he said.

"When they catch the guy, I'd love to have an interview with [AOL News], but it's just too risky until then. I'm sure [you] understand."

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/26/slain-...t-believe/

----

kid sounds so suspicious to me.

ALSO his facebook is private, but the comments on POJO say that he accepts anyone who adds him on facebook and has added at least a hundred people since this happened.. I am really curious to see what is written on his facebook and see some of the pictures of him and KF

---

then look at this. screams guilty to me..

HYDE PARK — A week after Kathryn Filiberti's body was found and on the day the 18-year-old was laid to rest, police and paramedics responded to a report of a possible drug overdose at the family home of the young man who has claimed to be Filiberti's boyfriend — and possibly the last person to see her alive.

Meanwhile, authorities remained tight-lipped about the investigation into Filiberti's death. No suspects have been identified, and police have not announced any arrests.
Hyde Park police Chief Charles Broe Sr. said no new information on the investigation would be released Saturday.
"We are working around the clock, literally, on a number of things," Broe said.
He has repeatedly said that releasing information about the case could harm the investigation.
A police scanner report around 9:45 a.m. said an ambulance was requested at an East Market Street residence that records show is owned by Charles Delarm. The report said the ambulance was for a 21-year-old who had suffered a possible drug overdose. The patient was described as "non-violent."
An official at Saint Francis Hospital in the Town of Poughkeepsie said someone with the last name Delarm was in the emergency room Saturday morning but would not provide any further information. Later Saturday, hospital officials said no one with the name Delarm had been admitted to Saint Francis.
Mike Delarm, 19, said he dated Filiberti and may have been the last person to see her alive. His brother, Tyler, is 21 years old.
In response to a message left by a reporter on his Facebook page, Mike Delarm said "nothing happened at the house today, it was a false alarm. ... Just more rumors."
Last year, police arrested the brothers on felony gang assault charges after an altercation at a fast-food restaurant across from Marist College in Poughkeepsie. The home address for the Delarms given by police in that case is the same house paramedics responded to Saturday.
It is unclear how the assault cases were disposed of.
A man who answered the door Saturday morning at the East Market Street home said he did not want to speak with a reporter and shut the door. A Delarm Auto Body truck was parked in the driveway. Broe confirmed that a 21-year-old was transported from the house to the hospital. He said the person did not appear to have life-threatening medical issues.

The chief would not comment when asked if the person transported to the hospital was a resident of the home. He also declined comment when asked if authorities had questioned any members of the Delarm family in the week since Filiberti's body was found.
The incident at the East Market Street house occurred shortly before Filiberti's wake began at a Route 9 funeral home. Her funeral was held Saturday afternoon, and she was buried in St. Peter's Cemetery in Poughkeepsie.
Filiberti case still open
Filiberti was found dead March 19 in a wooded area off Greentree Drive. She was a Hyde Park resident and a student at Dutchess Community College.
Police have released little information about the case. They have not released the cause of Filiberti's death.
Mike Delarm updated his Facebook page Saturday afternoon to tell people he planned to sell bracelets later in the day in Filiberti's honor for $5 each. Delarm said "all proceeds are going to" Filiberti's family.
On Tuesday, Delarm told the Journal that he was the last person to see Filiberti alive on the night of March 18. Both were at a party at a friend's house off Route 9G, about five miles from where Filiberti's body was found the next day.
Delarm said Filiberti was upset because someone she disliked also was at the party. Delarm said he and Filiberti argued and she walked away from him, he thought to go cool off.
Broe said a ground search around the area where Filiberti's body was found concluded Friday. He would not say what authorities were looking for.
The chief said searches of the area thus far have covered 155 acres, with 775 manpower hours put in by employees from various agencies.
Broe said the search has been halted for now but could begin again depending on how the investigation progresses.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...iberti-pal
HYDE PARK — More than a week after her death, the shock remains for residents and business owners over the unsolved homicide of Kathryn Filiberti.

For many, the slaying of the 18-year-old graduate of Franklin D. Roosevelt High School seems so out of character for the Town of Hyde Park, known for its rich history and breathtaking views of the Hudson River. The homicide was only the second in at least five years.
"You don't hear things like that happening in Hyde Park — a violent crime like that," said Ron Wheeler, who lived in Hyde Park for two years until he moved this year. He was eating ice cream Monday afternoon at Dairy Queen on Route 9.
The only other recent homicide in Hyde Park, population 21,571, was a brutal case of domestic violence. On July 29, Linda Riccardulli, 47, was shot to death by her husband, Anthony Riccardulli Sr., 55, at their home on South Quaker Lane. Anthony Riccardulli then fatally turned the gun on himself.
In contrast, the City of Poughkeepsie, with a population of 32,736, had six homicides in 2010 and two so far this year, city police said Tuesday.
Hyde Park is noted for its historic sites, including the Franklin D. Roosevelt home and presidential library. Much of the northern part of town, including the Staatsburg hamlet , is rural.
The southern area of Hyde Park, bordering the Town of Poughkeepsie, shows some of the economic blight many of the communities across Dutchess County are afflicted with due to the lingering economic downturn.
Many storefronts along Route 9G are boarded up and a former gas station is vacant. It was in this area that Filiberti, known to her friends as "Katie," was apparently last seen at a house party off Route 9G in the Greenbush neighborhood March 18, an unseasonably warm Friday. This is where Mike Delarm, who identified himself as Filiberti's boyfriend, said he was the last to see her alive.
Filiberti's body was found the following day in the woods off Greentree Drive — at least four miles north on Route 9G of the Greenbush neighborhood.On Saturday, paramedics responded to a report of a 21-year old with a possible drug overdose at the Delarm house on East Market Street in Hyde Park.

An official at Saint Francis Hospital said someone with the last name Delarm was in the emergency room that morning.
The turn of events has been the talk of the town for those eating at Angelina's Pizza and Pasta in the Haviland Shopping Center on Route 9G.
"That's all they talk about," said John Siragusa, the co-owner of the business.
Among those talking, he said, are teachers from nearby Haviland Middle School, where Filiberti attended sixth through eighth grades.
"They say she was such a nice girl," Siragusa said.
More recently, Filiberti herself ate with friends at Angelina's, he said.
Stu Davis, owner of S&S Appliance on Route 9G, near Greenbush Drive, called the homicide a "black eye for Hyde Park."
He said Hyde Park already gets a "lot of negative publicity" due to the political turmoil caused by the election every two years of all five Town Board members — causing frequent shifts in the majority political party.
Davis said he thinks the Hyde Park Police Department is "doing a great job" in investigating the case.
But the lack of details about the homicide has fueled a lot of rumors, he said.
"There's too much misinformation," he said.
Loni Siggelkow, a Hyde Park resident, said she fears the rumors about the homicide, particularly about possible suspects, are a rush to judgment.
Siggelkow, mother of two teenagers, said she feels bad for the parents of Katie Filiberti.
"I could not imagine losing a child like that," she said.
Tim Mahan, son of the owner of the Mahan Agency, an insurance agency on Route 9G in the Oakwood Plaza, called the slaying of two women in Hyde Park in less than a year sad and a shame.
He said he was a close friend of Linda Riccardulli's.
"I was pretty devastated by that," Mahan said.
Brenda Hernandez, who works at Hyde Park Pizza on Route 9, said Katie Filiberti was an occasional customer at the pizzeria and said she was shocked to hear of her death.
She also was a "Basic Math" classmate of Filiberti's this school year at Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie.
"She was very quiet," Hernandez said.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...ng-lingers

HYDE PARK — The Dutchess County Medical Examiner's Office will likely release the cause of 18-year-old Kathryn Filiberti's death in one to two weeks.

Dutchess County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kari Reiber said her office is waiting for toxicology results, which should take another week or two, and should be able to finalize Filiberti's cause of death at that point.
This Saturday will mark the one-month anniversary of the date Filiberti's body was found in a little-used park in the Town of Hyde Park.
Filiberti was found March 19 around noon in Greentree Park, less than a mile from the Hyde Park police station.
Police have not said who found Filiberti, how they believe she died, or if anyone is suspected in the killing. The Hyde Park Police Department and the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office are jointly investigating the homicide.
"The investigation is continuing," Lt. John Watterson, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, said via email.
Hyde Park police Chief Charles Broe Sr. said releasing details about Filiberti's death would jeopardize the investigation.
"At a minimum," Broe said, six deputies from the sheriff's office and three officers from Hyde Park, including himself, are working on the case full time, on any given day.
"But there are times when there are certainly more than that, and people from other agencies," Broe said.
State police are assisting in the investigation. Police meet daily to discuss the case.
Broe said the meetings are sometimes held in the morning, other times later in the day, "as the investigation dictates."
"Monday through Friday doesn't apply," he said.
Broe said police continue to interview people but would not say if anyone new is being interviewed or if police are re-interviewing the same people.
He would not say if anyone outside the area has been interviewed.
"We interview people as the investigation dictates," he said.
Police speak with the Dutchess County District Attorney's Office daily, Broe said, but would not elaborate further.
"I cannot discuss any aspect of this case," said Dutchess County District Attorney William Grady.
Grady said with regard to other cases, "It is not unusual for my office to provide assistance to various police agencies with regard to investigations that they may have under way at any given time. In that each case is unique, I can't discuss the particulars."
Local, county, state and federal law enforcement officials said there have been no arrests in the Kathryn Filiberti homicide case, despite rampant and wide-ranging rumors of arrests in recent days.

On Tuesday, rumors of two Hyde Park police officers being arrested by the FBI spurred posts online, as well as calls and emails. On Saturday, the Town of Hyde Park also was buzzing with vague rumors of an arrest.
J. Peter Donald, spokesman for New York office of the FBI, said that they had gotten calls on the rumors and that they were not true.
"The FBI has made no arrests in this case," Donald said.
The rumors prompted a joint news release from the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office and the Hyde Park Police Department late Tuesday afternoon.
"At this time, there has not been an arrest made in this case," said Lt. John Watterson of the Sheriff's Department in the release.
Sgt. Robert Warner also confirmed Tuesday that the state police had not made any arrests in connection with the Filiberti case.
The four police agencies are working together in the case of the 18-year-old found dead around noon March 19 in the town's secluded Greentree Park. Police have not said who found the 2010 Franklin D. Roosevelt High School graduate, how they believe she died, or whether anyone is suspected in the killing. The lack of detail has led to criticism of law enforcement, wide-ranging speculation and rumors.
When asked about the arrest rumors, Hyde Park Supervisor Tom Martino said: "We're talking about … the Filiberti case. And that for the purpose of clarity, people are alleging that police are involved as perpetrators.
"For the record, it's an absolute falsehood. That this is being fabricated by an individual or individuals who are bomb throwers. And if they have evidence, let them come forward and tell the authorities what evidence they are in possession of," Martino said.
"These people are trying to damage reputations and destroy careers, all based on these pernicious rumors," the supervisor said.
(Page 2 of 2)
Watterson reiterated: "Specific details about the investigation have not been released to the public from the start in order to protect the integrity of the investigation and to help ensure a successful prosecution, and that practice will continue throughout the remainder of the investigation.
"We would like the community to not interpret the lack of information being provided as the investigators not having information. In other words, please understand that when specific details are withheld, it does not mean that the police have no facts," he continued.
"Naturally, when specific information is withheld, the rumor mill begins, however we would like the community to understand that information is not reliable unless it comes from an official source," he said.
Watterson did provide some details about the investigation, particularly about the scope of the DNA evidence. He said there have been more than 30 DNA samples secured from different individuals throughout the various stages of the investigation.
Hyde Park Police Chief Charles Broe has said the FBI was brought into the case by the investigating agencies to analyze evidence collected in the case.
Ground searches, evidence collection, background checks, interviews and social media searches were some of the investigative tools that Broe has mentioned in interviews about this case.

Full article: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...ti-slaying

VERRRY interesting stuff in the comments section. rumours that katie was having an affair with a 40 year old police officer and he killed her.. rumours that the girls flirted with the younger police officers and a police officer saw her walking home late at night and killed her.. also in the comments it says other newspapers are reporting two hyde park cops were asked to submit DNA on the issue but I can't find the articles that say that..
HYDE PARK — In his second exclusive interview with the Poughkeepsie Journal, the teenager who identified himself as Kathryn Filiberti's boyfriend said he is not a suspect in her homicide investigation.
Mike Delarm, 19, of Hyde Park said he voluntarily gave police a DNA sample and showed investigators he had no bruises or cuts that could be associated with a physical altercation after the young woman's body was discovered.
He also said in an email that his older brother, Tyler Delarm, 21, gave a DNA sample to police.
Police declined to confirm Delarm's statements to the Poughkeepsie Journal.
Filiberti was found dead in Greentree Park on March 19 — 110 days ago. The 18-year-old Hyde Park resident was studying at Dutchess Community College.
Police have not said how the 2010 Franklin D. Roosevelt High School graduate died or if anyone is suspected in the killing, but they have said the FBI is helping analyze data.
Officials initially said they would release autopsy results, but then did an about-face and kept details of that and other investigative elements confidential, saying releasing the results could compromise the probe.
The homicide has spurred a range of unconfirmed reports and questions regarding why information has been withheld. While some have said the police should be given the time they need to investigate, others have called for more and immediate disclosure.
New details regarding how police discovered Filiberti's body were revealed in the Dutchess County Sheriff's Department police blotter, a log of events reported by or to a police department, which is subject to the state's Freedom of Information law.

A blotter entry at noon March 19 shows a 911 call was placed by a cellphone caller, identified as Tyler Clark, alerting police to North Greentree Drive near Greentree Park to a homicide.
The entry shows six sheriff's deputies responded.
A Freedom of Information request for the Hyde Park police blotter and other police documents is pending.
Police also have repeatedly declined to comment regarding whether another local newspaper accurately quoted Hyde Park Police Chief Charles Broe last week that two of his officers submitted DNA as part of the investigation.
At the police station Wednesday, Broe told a Journal reporter: "The media coverage of this case has gotten so far off from where it should be."
Lt. John Watterson of the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office, the joint investigating agency with Hyde Park police, said, "I'm not going to get into specifics as far as the identities of people who submitted DNA. There were over 30 samples taken and I can't comment on identities."
Watterson said if anyone from the investigating police agencies released the names of those who gave DNA samples, "it could damage the investigation."

A blotter entry at noon March 19 shows a 911 call was placed by a cellphone caller, identified as Tyler Clark, alerting police to North Greentree Drive near Greentree Park to a homicide.

The entry shows six sheriff's deputies responded.
A Freedom of Information request for the Hyde Park police blotter and other police documents is pending.
Police also have repeatedly declined to comment regarding whether another local newspaper accurately quoted Hyde Park Police Chief Charles Broe last week that two of his officers submitted DNA as part of the investigation.

full article
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...ournal.com
HY-- Police in Duchess County have arrested a newspaper deliveryman for the murder of Kathryn Filiberti. The two apparently did not know each other.

John Filiberti expressed thanks to law enforcement and the smallest bit of relief. For five months he has been mourning over the murder of his daughter, Kathryn Filiberti. The 18-year-old was found dead in a park last March in a crime that sent shockwaves through the small Dutchess County community.

Authorities have arrested Stephen Shand, who they say strangled Filiberti to death. Shand is a newspaper delivery person for the Poughkeepsie Journal.

Police say the 23-year old suspect was driving his route in the early morning hours when he came across the victim who had left a party on foot. Shand was picked up by detectives at his house on Wednesday after completing his route. His car has been impounded.

In court documents, prosecutors claim there is forensic evidence linking Shand to the crime, and that he made statements to detectives about his involvement.

If there's a sense of doubt it's because much of the case was shrouded in secrecy. Police were criticized over the lack of information. Filiberti was romantically involved with a town police officer, which spawned rumors and rampant speculation.
LINK:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sectio...id=8301944

Thanks for the update, barbiexo. This arrest seems from left field. All those lovely suspects, and they arrest this guy out of the woodwork.
Smiley_emoticons_smile so many crazy rumours in this case i had to follow it till the end
A 10-count indictment accusing Stephen Shand in the death of Hyde Park resident Kathryn Filiberti was unsealed this morning before Judge Stephen L. Greller at the Dutchess County Courthouse in downtown Poughkeepsie.

Shand, 23, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder, four counts of second-degree murder, one count of first-degree kidnapping and two counts of predatory sexual assault.

Shand was not in court and is expected to be arraigned at 9:30 a.m. Friday before Greller.

Shand is in the county jail without bail.

He is accused of causing Filiberti’s death by strangling and drowning.

...link: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...ournal.com

----

Stephen Shand, the man accused of killing Hyde Park woman Kathryn Filiberti, pleaded not guilty today in Dutchess County Court at his arraignment on an indictment charging him with raping, strangling and drowning her.

The 10-count indictment, unsealed Thursday before Judge Stephen L. Greller, charges 23-year-old Shand with three counts of first-degree murder, four counts of second-degree murder, one count of first-degree kidnapping and two counts of first-degree predatory sexual assault.

Shand was sent back to Dutchess County Jail.

A lawyer for the Public Defender's Office had requested bail be set, but it was denied due to the seriousness of the charges and because Shand's visa has expired.
link: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/artic...ournal.com

Very interesting case. Hundreds of comments on the POJO website from locals who believe this was a cover up. The blame was intially laid on her on/off boyfriend..Then it got changed to her boyfriends brother and girlfriend. Then a rumour started that it was a cop. Then rumours came out that Kathryn had been sleeping with a cop and that he had killed her. Then out of no where they arrested this Steven Shand newspaper boy. Some people believe he is totally guilty and then other people are commenting that its the hugest cover up. So tragic that such a prety girl died like this
Sad:(

The father of slain Hyde Park teen Kathryn Filiberti committed suicide on Sunday, according to police.
Town of Poughkeepsie police say that John Filiberti died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Filiberti, 48, was found in a company vehicle outside a Verizon maintenance building on Van Wagner Road around 1 p.m., according to police.

Police said he was discovered by children playing in the neighborhood. Police recovered a 40-caliber semi-automatic handgun at the scene that was registered to Filiberti.

The body of his daughter, Kathryn Filiberti, was discovered in Greentree Park in Hyde Park on March 19. Stephen Shand, of Hyde Park, has been charged in her death

Link:

how terribly sad, a double tragedy. :(

So sad....