Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Cases Old and Cold

i hope they have direct evidence as well as a confession. he could be some compulsive confessor.

suspect:

[Image: article-2149483-13477AF9000005DC-251_306x423.jpg]

A man has claimed he lured six-year-old Etan Patz - who vanished 33 years ago as he walked to the bus from his Manhattan home - with candy, before stabbing him to death and chopping up his body.

Police swooped on the man, named by sources as Pedro Hernandez, in Camden, New Jersey on Wednesday evening and took him to New York City for questioning where he reportedly said: 'I did it.'

He told investigators he had enticed the boy with sweets, stabbed him, cut up his body and put him in plastic bags, a law enforcement source told The New York Post.

PHOTOS:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z1vnjLze9q

many more photos

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l-bed.html

I call shenanigans on this guy's story...

So he strangled Etan, put him in a box, left the box somewhere in Manhattan, and then went back to check on the box and it was gone?

BS.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-25/su...er/4033710

A man has been charged over the murder of a little boy more than 30 years after his disappearance in New Yorkprompted a major rethink on child safety.

Etan Patz disappeared on his way to school in late May 1979 in a case that shocked New Yorkers and saw him become one of the first missing children to have his face on a milk carton.

Six-year-old Etan lived in New York's Soho District and it was the first time he had made the trip alone.

A day before the 33rd anniversary of Etan's disappearance, New York's police commissioner Ray Kelly confirmed that a 51-year-old New Jersey man, Pedro Hernandez, has been charged with murder.

"In the years following Etan's disappearance, Hernandez told a family member and others that he had 'done a bad thing', and killed a child in New York," he said. "Last night after being questioned, Hernandez returned voluntarily from New Jersey with detectives to Manhattan. He brought them to the scene of the crime, which is now a store that sells eyeglasses."

Hernandez described to the detectives how he lured young Etan from the school bus stop at West Broadway and Prince St with the promise of a soda.

Mr Kelly says Hernandez has admitted leading the boy into the basement of a grocery store, choking him and disposing of his body in the garbage.

When Etan Patz disappeared in 1979 his face was plastered on posters appealing for information.

The date of his disappearance, May 25, became known in the US as National Missing Children's Day.

And in a new move his face appeared on milk cartons as parents became more cautious about letting their children out alone.
Etan's father Stan Patz says his son went missing in a safe neighbourhood that Etan was familiar with.

"At some point in every parent's life they send their children to school alone. Did we do it too early? Obviously we did," he said in a 2010 interview.

"It was very familiar territory; this was a safe neighbourhood. When do you let them out of your sight, when they're 21?"

Mr Patz hates to think what his son went through.

"At some point he must have realised that ... things were going bad," he said.

"I still gag with the fear that this child must have felt when he realised he was betrayed by an adult."

New York mayor Michael Bloomberg feels for Etan's parents.

"As a father I just can't imagine what they've gone through and I certainly hope that we are one step closer to bringing them some measure of relief," he said.

"If you remember 33 years ago this was a tragedy that broke the hearts of millions of people, especially parents, across this nation.

"It's a case that, to his credit, district attorney Cy Vance reopened in hopes not only of bringing justice but also offering some closure to Etan's parents." But they might never know what became of their son's body. Mr Kelly says it is reasonable to assume that Pedro Hernandez has no idea.

Here's the video:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-25/mi...rs/4033448
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...s-son.html

It was Bruno Hauptmann, a convicted criminal who illegally entered the U.S. from his native Germany, who was put to death in 1936 for the murder of Charles Lindbergh. But he was put up to the killing by John Knoll, another German immigrant who worked in a deli in the Bronx area of New York, according to author Robert Zorn. Knoll was apparently motivated by hatred of the famous aviator and a desire to destroy his life.

[Image: article-2163834-13C18DA0000005DC-473_636x372.jpg]

LC, the case on your very first post, do you think it is correct to charge two of them with murder? The article clearly stated their intent was to teach the kid a lesson, not to kill him. Also, the fact they went to check on him an hour or two later solidifies that fact.

It was a terrible mistake on their part, but they all proved to be upstanding members of society for over 40 years, with one of them being serving for this country. I could almost tell you all of them carrying around this secret for that long and pounding on their heads every single day of their life... I can see them somewhat already paying for their crime.

Don't get me wrong I think they deserve some minimum time, but don't think they deserve a long sentence.
(06-24-2012, 04:33 PM)Kenny Powers Wrote: LC, the case on your very first post, do you think it is correct to charge two of them with murder? The article clearly stated their intent was to teach the kid a lesson, not to kill him. Also, the fact they went to check on him an hour or two later solidifies that fact.

It was a terrible mistake on their part, but they all proved to be upstanding members of society for over 40 years, with one of them being serving for this country. I could almost tell you all of them carrying around this secret for that long and pounding on their heads every single day of their life... I can see them somewhat already paying for their crime.

Don't get me wrong I think they deserve some minimum time, but don't think they deserve a long sentence.

I could see them letting these guys off with a lighter sentence, provided the kid they killed was willing to step forward and speak on their behalf for leniency. After all, this could virtually end their lives.

Oh, wait...
You are missing my point. I understand it must be intent to kill in order to charge them with murder, as I understand the law is interpreted. I'm sure LC knows the standard, I'm too lazy to Google it.
Lady Cop,

You're obviously the expert here... but is it normal for predators to take both boys and girls, and such a wide range in age? For some reason, I thought they generally stick to one type- either young girls or teen girls, young boys or teen boys, but not all of the above. Is that right?
Well behaved women seldom make history Smiley_emoticons_wink
hello..let me see if i can address questions.

first, an 'accident' resulting in a death is still a murder if they meant to harm him. you can't come into court and say 'well shit i only meant to break his legs but he died'...it's homicide. and it's murder, the degree may be argued.
intent, an element in 1st degree, can be formed in a heartbeat or the blink of an eye.
-----------
predators are often attracted to children of either gender. it's about the power over a defenseless and available kid.
some do have preferences.
pedophiles are as different as the rest of the population in their personal fantasies.
one thing that can be generalized is that THEY NEVER CHANGE NOMATTER WHAT. they are hardwired.

if i didn't answer adequately, please say something and i'll see if i can do better.

now THIS is a blast from the past!

boston herald

An alleged firetrap shuttered by city inspectors Wednesday was condemned 50 years to the day after it was the scene of one of the infamous Boston Strangler killings.

The house at 139 Blue Hill Ave. in Roxbury is where cops found slain widow Margaret Davis, 60, the fourth Boston Strangler victim, on July 11, 1962.

Officials evacuated the residents — including two people on dialysis machines and another wheelchair-bound tenant — and deemed the house “unfit for human habitation” and a “fire hazard” because there were no fire exits on the second and third floors.

The single-family house was not permitted as a rooming house but had several tenants renting rooms for $500 a month, officials said.

“It was truly a disaster waiting to happen. It was a public safety hazard, period,” said Deputy Inspectional Services Commissioner Darryl Smith.

“If there was a fire in the front of the house, nobody could get out,” he said.

Smith said the city’s problem property task force has been monitoring the house for weeks after fielding complaints. Inspectors were let in by a tenant Wednesday and slapped the owner with violations for running an illegal rooming house. The owner could not be reached for comment.

The shutdown came a few days after ISD inspectors shuttered another unlicensed rooming house on Stanwood Street, where authorities also found an illegal auto repair shop.

The closures are part of an ongoing anti-blight campaign by Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who set up a task force last year to crack down on problem properties and pressure landlords to evict criminal tenants, including posting flashing neon signs in front of some trouble spots.

“We’re out there on the ground, trying to find these issues and others, so we can work with the neighbors and make better neighborhoods,” Smith said.

[Image: photo.aspx?mls=71321923&n=0]

INFAMOUS: The house at 139 Blue Hill Ave. in Roxbury, where cops found the Boston Strangler’s fourth victim, Margaret Davis, 60, 50 years ago, was condemned Wednesday by the city.

DeSalvo
[Image: albertdesalvo.jpg]

horrible case, excellent book.
i hope the fucker suffered.
-------------------------------
(CNN) -- The infamous "Onion Field" cop killer whose 1963 crime was chronicled in a best-selling book and a movie has died, officials said Monday. He was 79.

Gregory Powell died Sunday at the California Medical Facility, a prison in Vacaville, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said in a statement.

In October, Powell was denied compassionate release, all but guaranteeing he would die behind bars.

He had cancer, according to the Los Angeles Police Protective League. Prison officials, however, never confirmed that account and Monday's statement said simply that Powell died of "natural causes."

He was serving a life sentence with the possibility of parole for killing Los Angeles Police Officer Ian Campbell nearly 50 years ago.

The crime was chronicled in Joseph Wambaugh's best-selling book, "The Onion Field" and a movie by the same name.

On the night of March 9, 1963, Powell and accomplice Jimmy Lee Smith were driving around Los Angeles, looking for a liquor store to rob.

Campbell and his partner, Officer Karl Hettinger, pulled the two over in a routine stop. Powell, who was ordered out of the car, pointed a gun at Campbell's head. He and Smith disarmed both officers, took them hostage and drove to a remote onion field in Bakersfield, a town about 110 miles of north of downtown Los Angeles.

The officers were forced out of the car and ordered to stand with their hands above their heads. Powell said to them, "We told you we were going to let you guys go, but have you ever heard of the Little Lindbergh Law?"

"Yes," Campbell, 31, replied. Powell then shot him to death. Hettinger escaped, but the murder of his partner haunted him for the rest of his life.

Powell and Smith were sentenced to death in November 1963. Their sentences were commuted to life in prison with the possibility of parole in the early 1970s when the death penalty was declared unconstitutional.

Smith was paroled in 1982, but was in and out of prison in subsequent years for drug-related parole violations. He died at a California detention center in 2007.

The Little Lindbergh Law makes a kidnapping within the state a capital offense even if the victim is unharmed. It followed a federal law, nicknamed the Lindbergh Law, that made taking a kidnapped person across state lines a federal crime. That law was passed after the kidnapping and murder of the young son of aviator Charles Lindbergh in 1932.

burn forever cockroach
[Image: 120814024443-gregory-powell-story-top.jpg]

[Image: 6a00d8341c630a53ef016769405800970b-400wi]

[Image: 6a00d8341c630a53ef01676940a88f970b-pi]

[Image: 487445.jpg]

Greater Manchester Police have pulled documents out of the south Wales home of one of Ian Brady's long-term visitors, Jackie Powell, pictured left, but are skeptical that his note will offer any hope to Keith's mother Winnie. Ms Powell has been arrested on suspicion of preventing burial of a body. The serial killer, top right, has enjoyed taunting his victims' families from inside prison for decades and has previously refused to help police find the 12-year-old's body, which has been missing in 1964 and is believed to be on Saddleworth Moor near Oldham.

[Image: article-2189569-14964321000005DC-772_636x333.jpg]

[Image: article-2189569-1495C087000005DC-957_306x706.jpg]

Jackie Powell pictured leaving her home this morning, where police have taken some documents that could include a crucial letter from her client Ian Brady

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z23oiocdd7

[Image: article-2189569-14954C65000005DC-515_634x868.jpg]

re: post 32
the poor woman died day after this article ^

[Image: winnieJohnson_2313683b.jpg]

Winnie Johnson died peacefully in the early hours of Saturday morning, her solicitor, John Ainley, confirmed.
Winnie Johnson fought a long and unsuccessful campaign to find out where the body of her son Keith Bennett is buried.

PHOTOS OF HER LIFE AND SEARCH FOR HER SON:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-body.html

i remember this sad sad case so well.

[Image: article-2192096-14A70B3E000005DC-900_636x363.jpg]

Man called Charles who molested and killed boy, 10, wants his name changed to Manasseh-Invictus Auric Thutmose V after converting to Wiccanism
Charles Jaynes (right), who murdered Jeffrey Curley (left) in Manchester, Massachusetts in 1997, listed his reason for changing his name as 'Wiccan religious tennet' on the petition filed with Plymouth Probate Court. The victim's father, Robert Curley, laughed at the name change and said he would exercise his legal right to object to it because 'nothing will change what he has done'. Jaynes is serving a life sentence for the murder in Bridgewater Correctional Facility.
When the boy resisted their sexual advances, Jaynes smothered him with a gasoline-soaked rag, took his body back to his Manchester apartment and molested his remains with Sicari.

The youngster's body was found six days later in a cement-filled container wrapped with duct tape in a river in Maine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z24J31ryHU

Jack McCullough Guilty: Man Convicted Of Killing Maria Ridulph In 1957

For most of five decades, it seemed no one would ever be held accountable for the murder of a 7-year-old Illinois girl snatched off a small-town street corner as she played.

Now someone has.

Fifty-five years after Maria Ridulph vanished, her friends and family let out a deafening cheer Friday as a judge pronounced a former neighborhood teen – now a 72-year-old man – guilty of the kidnapping and murder. It was one of the oldest unsolved crimes in the U.S. to make it to trial.

Read more

Fifty five years later, they got him. There could be more unsolved crimes on his hands, he was free a long time.
DNA match resolves question about Boston Strangler - 50 years later

[Image: en_0711_FULL_244x183.jpg][Image: seg2_ssa.jpg]
Boston Strangler: Albert DeSalvo---Victim: Mary Sullivan

BOSTON - DNA evidence has definitively linked Albert DeSalvo to the death of Mary Sullivan, a woman believed to be the Boston Strangler's last victim, authorities announced Friday.

Investigators exhumed DeSalvo's remains for DNA testing last Friday after new evidence surfaced in the case.

The breakthrough happened after scientific advances that authorities said only became possible recently. Police secretly followed DeSalvo's nephew to collect DNA from a discarded water bottle to help make the connection.

DeSalvo admitting killing Sullivan in January 1964 and 10 other women in the Boston area between 1962 and 1964 in a series of slayings that became known as the Boston Strangler case. But he recanted in 1973 before dying in prison, where he was serving a life sentence for other crimes.

"We now have an unprecedented level of certainty that Albert DeSalvo raped and murdered Mary Sullivan," Conley said Friday.

"We now have to look very closely at the possibility that he also committed at least some of the other sexual homicides to which he confessed. Questions that Mary's family asked for almost 50 years have finally been answered. They, and the families of all homicide victims, should know that we will never stop working to find justice, accountability, and closure on their behalf."

Sullivan's nephew, Casey Sherman, spent much of his adult life searching for answers in the case and even wrote a book about it. Sherman had once joined with the DeSalvo family in believing that Albert DeSalvo wasn't his aunt's killer.

Now he knows that DeSalvo is guilty. "He's the killer of my aunt, which is all this has been about for me," Sherman said.

Conley has said the new evidence applies only to Sullivan's homicide and not to the other Strangler-linked killings.

He said some law enforcement officials still disagree about whether one person committed all 11 slayings. All were strangled with articles of clothing.
HOORAY!!!!!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Missing Person Mystery Solved - 50 Years Later...
[Image: 351896-missing.jpg]

Lucy Johnson vanished from the house she shared with her husband in Canada in September 1961, the Surrey Leader reported.

Investigators initially suspected her husband had something to do with her disappearance in Surrey, British Columbia

Marvin Johnson reported his wife missing in 1965, but investigators realized she'd last been seen four years earlier. Crews dug up his yard looking for a body, but found no sign of the then 33 year old wife and mother.

She hadn't been seen or heard from since.

But earlier this month, the Surry Leader newspaper ran a story about the case as a part of a series on missing people, piquing the interest of Johnson's daughter.

Linda Evans was seven or eight when her mother disappeared, she told the Leader. "Honestly, I thought she was dead because there's been no contact. Nothing," Evans, now in her late 50s, told the newspaper.

Evans placed an ad in newspapers around Yukon in northwestern Canada, near where her mother was born in Alaska. A woman responded to the ad to say she believed the woman Evans described was her own mother. It was.

Lucy Johnson is now 77 and lives in the Yukon, where she has four other children, three sons and a daughter.

"I'm still walking around in shock," Evans told the leader. "The police phoned me and said 'We found your mom.' And I said 'No, I found my mom'."

Cpl. Bert Paquet, spokesman for the Surrey RCMP, told CBC News, "The stars aligned, the timing was perfect." The two have not met yet, though Evans said she was saving for a trip north for a reunion.

"I have a lot of questions," Evans said. "And they're all 'Whys?'"
The Boston Strangler film starring Tony Curtis and Henry Fonda is brilliant way ahead of its time.

Tony Curtis should've gotten an oscar for his chilling portrayal of DeSalvo. DeSalvo WAS the Boston strangler.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Bodies of water - bodies in water - 1970s cold cases solved?

In the last 2 weeks, 3 cars recovered from bodies of water have been found containing 8 sets of skeletal remains.

Investigators are hoping to solve old missing persons cases and offer the remaining family members some closure - finally.

IN OKLAHOMA - 2 Cars, 6 bodies:

An Oklahoma sheriff says investigators are confident that one of two cars pulled from the bottom of an Oklahoma lake (during sonar testing) contained the remains of three teenagers who went missing in 1970. One of the cars pulled from the lake, a blue Chevrolet Camaro, matched the description of a car in connection with the teens' disappearance, The Daily Elk Citian reported. The missing teens were Thomas Michael Rios, 18, Leah Gail Johnson, 18, and Jimmy Allen Williams, 16.
[Image: Missing.jpg?ve=1]

“There have been theories from everybody. Everyone suspected foul play. ... But every lead just went nowhere.”

The paper reported that the three were supposed to be heading to a football game in a nearby town, but were never seen again. Some thought the three had stumbled across a drug deal at a rural airstrip and been killed. Others said they might have run away to California.

“The second vehicle is tentatively identified as the car with the missing juveniles from the Sayre area,” Custer County Sheriff Bruce Peoples told the paper. He told The Associated Press on Wednesday that investigators are still trying to determine whose remains were in the first car pulled from Foss Lake. The Highway Patrol says three skulls have been recovered. It may, however, take years to identify the remains.
======================================================

IN SOUTH DAKOTA - 1 car, 2 bodies - foul play?

Crews lifted the rusted, mangled hulk of an old Studebaker from an embankment in Brule Creek near Elk Point, S.D. on Tuesday afternoon. A fisherman called authorities after noticing one of the car's wheels.

State and local agency leaders say some potential pieces of evidence have been taken from the site and will be processed.

They say no other information will be released until an autopsy and more testing is done and the families are told of the results.

Investigators say they think the car was driven by 17 year-olds Pam Jackson and Cheryl Miller, who were last seen May 29, 1971, driving a beige 1960 Studebaker Lark on their way to a party.

[Image: studebaker_244x183.jpg]

The missing persons case was revisited by cold case investigators back in 2004. A September 2004 search of a Union County farm turned up bones, clothing, a purse, photographs, newspaper articles and other items, but not the car. Authorities have never said if those bones belonged to the girls - or if they were even human remains.

In a warrant authorizing the search, authorities said that David Lykken, who lived at the farm in 1971, might have been involved in the disappearance of Miller and Jackson as well as three other unnamed people. Lykken, 59, is prison serving an unrelated 227-year sentence for rape and kidnapping.

In July 2007, a Union County grand jury indicted Lykken on two counts of premeditated murder, two counts of felony murder and two counts of murder in the disappearance of Miller and Jackson. He was arrested at the prison and scheduled for a March 2008 trial, but state prosecutors dropped all six murder charges after discovering a prison snitch made up a supposed admission.

Sources:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/19/dec...p=trending
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-5...cold-case/