Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Katherine Phillips--Amber Alert, 4 month infant, Michigan
this is frightening...did he leave her with someone? or worse?

LUDINGTON, Mich. (AP) - A 21-year-old Michigan man has been charged with kidnapping and child enticement following the disappearance of a 4 1/2-month-old girl who's believed to be his daughter.

Sean Phillips was arraigned Thursday in a Ludington courtroom. Bond was set at $500,000.

The Ludington Daily News and The Muskegon Chronicle report Phillips was arrested after an Amber Alert was issued for Katherine Phillips. The alert says the girl is believed to be in "extreme danger."

Katherine is bald with blue eyes and was last seen wearing pink shorts and a matching pink tank top with black and pink flowers.

The girl hasn't been found. Her mother told police that Phillips took the girl in his car Wednesday from her Ludington apartment, 80 miles northwest of Grand Rapids.

The Daily News says DNA samples will be used to determine if Phillips is the father.

The Associated Press left a message Thursday seeking comment from Phillips' lawyer.

Anyone with information on Katherine Phillips' whereabouts is asked to call 911, the Ludington Police Department at 231-843-3425 or Mason-Oceana Dispatch at 231-869-5858.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - The mother of missing 4-month-old Katherine Phillips is preparing for the worst news, but hoping her daughter is still alive.

"Time is really running out," Ariel Courtland told 24 Hour News 8. "I feel in my heart she's outside somewhere. I'm hoping (she's alive.) I don't really want to think that she's not, but I'm trying to prepare myself for the fact that she is (not alive.)"

Courtland and the suspect, Sean Michael Phillips, 21, have an older child together and they've fought for years over custody.

When Kate - as the infant is called - was born in February, he was named in a paternity suit to determine if he was the father. Tests are pending.

Around 1 p.m. Wednesday, they argued at her Ludington apartment and left with baby Kate. Police arrested him several hours later at his home in nearby Scottville, but they found no baby.

"God forbid that if he did do anything to her, but if he did do anything to her I would hope I could at least bury my daughter and not have the constant agony of not knowing," she said.

She said she took a lie detector test, at her request. Police eliminated her as a suspect and, they said, they questioned Phillips, who denied knowing where the child was.

"I didn't want people to ever for one second think that I would harm my child. Ever," she said.

Phillips' home in Scottville was searched, and police said he and the baby were spotted at a Ludington Wendy's restaurant shortly after the abduction.

Phillips was arraigned Thursday afternoon on a charge of kidnapping-child enticement and is being held on a $500,000 bond.

Courtland just wants to find out. "There's just so many different scenarios, so many different places she could be that no one even knows where to begin looking."

Earlier Thursday, police blocked access to nearby Hackert Lake afte a witness believed he saw the suspect. A Coast Guard helicopter searched the lake and the woods.

But, at this writing, Katherine Phillips remains missing.

.jpg   9754630-small.jpg (Size: 10.06 KB / Downloads: 320)

[Image: NCMC1174834c1.jpg]

KATHERINE PHILLIPS
DOB: Feb 12, 2011
Missing: Jun 29, 2011
Height: 2'0" (61 cm)
Eyes: Blue
Race: White
Age Now: 4 Month(s)
Sex: Female
Weight: 12 lbs (5 kg)
Hair: Lt. Brown Missing From:
LUDINGTON
MI
United States Katherine was last seen on June 29, 2011. She was last seen wearing pink shorts and a pink tank top with black and pink flowers.

Police Presser:

Yesterday, police responded to a "civil situation" at the home, but soon learned it was an abduction.

Mason County Sheriff joined the investigation soon afterward. The Coast Guard and FBI are also involved.

Describing the suspect, vehicle, and Katherine. Asking if anyone saw them at or near the Wendy's restaurant between 1:00-2:00 pm.

Mr. Phillips has been charged with kidnapping. No other charges at this time, but the investigation is still developing. He is in the county jail, $500,000 bond.

Any info on her condition? Nothing new. The idea is that she is still alive.

Any info from Mr. Phillips? He was spoken to under Miranda warnings. He did NOT relate her whereabouts.

Can you talk about what's going on at the lake? There was a tip about that location.

What is the role of the Coast Guard? Requested by Michigan State Police to help. Helping search Crystal Lake area, and as resources permit they will help more.

How many "scenes" are there now? Area near the lake, Grand Rapids crime lab, another area on Millerton (sp?) Road

Search at suspects parents home? That is one of the places being investigated

Why Crystal Lake? Not commenting on why we are there, other than we got a tip

Suspect and child's relationship? Suspect is biological father of Katherine's older sister, 3-4 years old. Have not determined if he is or is not Katherine's biological father

Why is she in "extreme danger"? We haven't gotten a satisfactory explanation on where Katherine is. She is unaccounted for, so she's in danger.

Was she taken from home or vehicle or? She was "near the vicinity of the mother's residence" in a vehicle

Why was the suspect there? Going to run an errand together

Any indication of the disagreement that led to him taking Katherine? We can't discuss that at this time. It may cause problems if discussed.

Was the suspect leaving for Afghanistan? He is in the National Guard. He has upcoming orders for deployment.

Was suspect alone with children? Mother was with them. Not sure if the other child was there or not

How long until police were called? Less than 30 minute delay

Suspect have permission to leave with child? No

Any custody rights? No rights with Katherine, but yes with the older child

Is the Millerton Road area part of crime scene? Search warrant has been issued for this area, as there may be evidence there. The suspect and his vehicle were located at this location (his parents home)

Canine units deployed? They have responded (in the area), but not deployed at this time

How crucial is time? We need to watch the weather, we need to collect evidence quickly. Any time a child is missing, the quicker the better. We are very anxious to get any information.

Any plans to search from community members? Once they do their own searches, they may implement that. They want to make the smallest "footprint" possible. Want it to be coordinated

Crystal Lake and Millerton Road the only two scenes? Yes, they are the only two "areas"

Operating under the assumption she is alive and unharmed? Yes

What constitutes the crime of kidnapping? How does it move from domestic dispute to kidnapping? There is parental kidnapping which requires 24-hours missing. Kidnapping charge against suspect doesn't require any time, just intent to deprive child from parent

DNA test for paternity? There is a separate preceding to determine paternity, not related to charges

Why the delay in the AMBER Alert for several hours? Getting information into the computer. Logistics issue. Could have been done more quickly.

Searching the water or the woods at Crystal Lake? Yes. Boat landing area. Water was looked at from the air. Dogs will also be looking in the area.

Looking for a boater that was on the lake yesterday? Don't know

Time frame from time she was reported missing from time suspect was found? 2 hours

Has the mother ever been investigated for child abuse? No. She is not a suspect.

Has she ever been charged with anything? Can't talk about that.

grandmother April Lange said that her daughter and Phillips have had their disagreements, particularly after Courtland got pregnant with Kate.

"They've both had their issues, because of age and stuff," she said. "They're both young and childish."

(it is not established that he is baby daddy)

Lange said Phillips was scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan with the Army National Guard as an infantryman Aug. 9. She said she didn't know if that was what Phillips and Courtland argued about Wednesday.

Lange said she initially believed Phillips hid Kate somewhere to make a point, so she and several friends of the family searched nearby woods Thursday. She said she couldn't think of anyone who would help Phillips hide a baby.

"My first theory was this dumb-ass dropped her off in the woods somewhere between (Courtland's home) and his house and figured he'd go home and come back and get her, but then the cops took him into custody and she was stuck out in the woods all night," she said. "Four months old, she can't even swat a damn mosquito off her."

OMG! I hope they find that little baby alive and ok. If not this fucker deserves to have his ass beaten to a pulp by the biggest mother fucker in the prison. Every. Single. Day. for the rest of his life.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
i am listening to the local scanner.

phillips has asked to speak to a Detective with his lawyer present. :(

hmmmm...wonder why the mom lost custody.

facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/BabyKatePhillips

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - Katherine Phillips' mother received some "potentially good news (that) gives (her) hope the baby is still alive," she told 24 Hour News 8 on Friday evening.

Ariel Courtland wouldn't go into any more details on what that news entails.

Katherine -- or baby Kate, as she's known -- has a grandmother who knows her kidnapping suspect well. She can't believe he would ever hurt her granddaughter.

"I wouldn't think he would be capable of that, but as days go on, you start to wonder," said Deb Courtland, baby Kate's maternal grandmother.

Courtland can hear the search helicopters from her home near Scottville, where her daughter, Ariel, grew up. Ariel is Kate's mother, although it's not confirmed whether suspect Sean Phillips is the 4-month-old's father. He was supposed to take a court-ordered DNA swab test to determine paternity Wednesday, the same day Kate vanished.

An Amber Alert was issued later that night, and remains active.

"I don't know why anybody would want to hurt something that beautiful," Deb Courtland said.

Her daughter started dating 21-year-old Phillips about five years ago, when she was 14. Ariel was 16 when she had her first baby.

"He was a wonderful father to Haley," Courtland said. "He always has been. I never had no gripes about the way he took care of Haley, and he always seemed OK when I seen him with Kate."

In a custody dispute over Haley, court records show a judge found Phillips should get primary custody. He was about to lose that, but only because he was about to be deployed to Afghanistan for the Army National Guard.

"They really never broke up," Courtland said. "I mean, they've had their differences and go separate for a few days and that, but I think they've always been together."

Kate was born Feb. 12 of this year, and Ariel gave her Phillips' last name, even though he denied he was the father.

maternal grandmother:

Saturday, July 2, 2011
Ariel Courtland appeared calm and organized Friday night as she addressed a group of people who answered a Facebook appeal to help her look for her baby daughter — missing since Wednesday. Courtland said she spoke to the baby’s alleged abductor, Sean Michael Phillips who indicated to her about 5:15 p.m. Friday that the baby is still alive.

“He told me she is alive,” Courtland told the Daily News in the Subway parking lot on U.S. 10 late Friday night — across the street and not far from the last place Phillips was seen Wednesday, Wendy’s restaurant, before police found him and apprehended him at his parents’ Millerton Road property. Courtland said that she has been told by authorities not to look for the child, but she has grown tired of waiting.

“I’m doing what I need to do to find my kid,” she said.

mom's demeanor and flat affect odd to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48LOUfuOU...r_embedded

--PRESS RELEASE- –

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July, 2nd 2011

Luddington, MI –

The family of missing Luddington child “Baby Kate” would like to thank the community for its ongoing prayers, concern and support. The family also thanks the many Law Enforcement, and search members that have been searching for the past several days. It has now been four days since four month old Katherine Phillips went missing and the family is still holding out hope to bring her home safely.

The family has now been in contact with, and is now working with The Destiny Search Project. This group was organized in Utah and assisted families in several major missing persons cases. Damon Talbot of the organization is assisting the family with advice, and support from previous search experience. i looked over this guy's site and find it questionable. no one thing, just my instincts. what does he actually DO? call in Texas Equusearch if she isn't found today.

At this time the family asks that the community please assist by printing fliers, and posting them everywhere possible around the area. They also ask that property owners check their land for signs of anything out of the ordinary to the Mason County Sheriff’s Office.

The family also asks that the community join them, and come together in a show of unity and support. They will be holding a candle light vigil at Copeyon Park at 9:00 PM. They ask that you bring candles, and if you can wear pink shirts, or ribbons.

--END--

edit to add: my gut may be right, the FBI and NMEC never heard of this guy Damon Talbot who claims to have worked with them.

[Image: katherine-phillips-fb-07011_20110701123803_640_480.JPG]

shit.
this makes me wish the police COULD beat the truth out of someone. evil little prick.

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - The pink outfit worn by Katherine Phillips on the day she was reported missing was found, but Katherine is still missing according to Ludington Police.

Ludington Police held a news conference Saturday to talk about the search for Katherine Phillips, or baby Kate as some residents have called her.

Police released few new details at Saturday's press conference. Police didn't disclose where the baby's clothing was found.

Missing From: Ludington, MI
Missing Date: Eastern
Issued for: Michigan: Statewide
Contact: If you have information, please contact Mason-Oceana Dispatch, 231-869-5858
Circumstances: UPDATE: Added the vehicle's year and last seen information for suspect. The Ludington Police Department is investigating an incident of an endangered missing child from 922 E. Tinkham, Ludington, MI. The child was last seen at 13:15 pm on 06/29/2011 and is believed to be in extreme danger. The Ludington Police Department says the child was allegedly abducted by Sean Michael Phillips. He was last seen at 280 W. Millerton, Scottsville, MI. Sean has been located along with the listed vehicle. The child, Katherine Phillips, is still missing at this time. If you have any information on the alleged victim, abductor, or vehicle IMMEDIATELY telephone 911 or the Mason-Oceana Dispatch at 231-869-5858.

Missing Child
Name: Katherine Shelbie-Elizabeth Phillips
Alias:
Hair Color: Bald Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: White Age: 4MO
Height: 2FT Weight: 12LBS
Description: The child was last seen wearing pink shorts, a matching pink tank top with black and pink flowers.

Suspect
Name: Sean Michael Phillips
Alias:
Hair Color: Brown Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: White Age: 21YO
Height: 5FT9 Weight: 180LBS
Description:

Vehicle Information
Make: Oldsmobile Model:
Color: Silver Interior Color:
License State: MI License Text: BUY0298
Vehicle Description:

Thanks for letting me read and post here. I didn't know the baby's name, but it has been all over the news here about her being missing. She is a cute little baby.

I'm just trying to find my way around here and all, BUT ... and I know looks don't mean anything ... BUT "baby mama" looks like a meth head, and "baby daddy" looks guilty as hell.

I hope they fnd this baby. Missing babies really, really get to me.
this stinks to high heaven. if that baby were left dead outside, she would likely have been found by now (unless carried off by wildlife). i smell fishies and i hope i'm wrong.

are there large bodies of water nearby?

Me too Lady. I hope we are wrong.
cynical, overwrought cop-brain scenario that has crossed my mind...this is only my suspicious imagination at work.
what if...they both decided they could not afford another child. he did NOT want to pay child support, and in fact the DNA testing was supposed to be done that day to establish whether he is the baby daddy. we know he did not want another responsibility.
what is her history? why did she not have custody? why the secrets about her record?
did they together do something to that baby? hard to imagine they gave her to someone, if they did that person probably would have become scared by now and dropped the baby off at a hospital or other safe place.

is mommy complicit in this missing baby case?? i do question her act for a few reasons.

LUDINGTON, Mich. (WOOD) - Droplets of blood and footprints were found not far from the Scottville home of Sean Michael Phillips, the accused kidnapper of 4-month-old Katherine Phillips, police told 24 Hour News 8.

Evidence technicians arrived on the scene around 3 p.m. Tuesday and a Michigan State Police helicopter is in the area. Two MSP tracking dog teams were also deployed down the road from the home.

Additional help is being provided by the US Forest Service.

The search for Katherine Phillips has been ongoing since she was allegedly taken by the man believed to be her father after he argued with her mother, Ariel Courtland, at her Ludington apartment.

Tuesday's search is going over the same area previously searched and cleared.

Heck, LC, you are getting the news faster than me, and I am right in the area! LOL. I just heard on TV, not 2 mins ago that drops of blood was found near where the father lives. The only thing that I can add to your last post is that the police went to this particular area because neighbors reported seeing him near the area.
A cell phone may hold the clues to finding a missing baby girl near Ludington.

Ludington police say four-month-old Katherine Phillips' mother left the phone inside Sean Phillips' car the day they believe he took the girl.

Now it's been nearly a week since anyone has seen Baby Kate.

That phone is a black HTC Desire with purple trim. Police are now asking people to keep an eye out for it.

Over the past few days search teams have been combing the areas around her mother's apartment in Ludington and Phillips' house in Scottville.

They found the clothes she was wearing, but there is still no sign of her.

full article.. http://www.wwmt.com/articles/phone-13930...ngton.html
Baby Kate went missing last Wednesday when police say she was kidnapped by Sean Phillips.

The lack of progress in the case has lead the mother to take drastic measures.

Police have continued their search for the missing baby around the Ludington area and along US-31.

We spoke with Ariel today and she said soon she will team up with the national guard to start her own search.

only the Gov. can call out the Guard.

UPDATE (WZZM)- The family of Katherine Phillips confirmed tonight to WZZM that the substance believed to be blood, found in the woods near Sean Michael Phillips' home, was not human. The Mason County Sheriff says tests of the substance from the crime lab also confirm it was not human. The substance was bird feces.WTF!! there are field tests for blood! DUH! The search will continue Wednesday night.

Oh Lord! Why do I see a trend starting. Casey Anthony's lawyer is going to be a billionaire representing cases like these. Especially now that we CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BIRD SHIT & BLOOD!
It's the hint of arsenic that gives it that extra kick.