Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Devin Frenette, 9, found safe, Hampstead, NH
God, I hope the speculation is correct, that he is just lost, and is located very quickly. It's getting cold at night up here!

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111.../111019907

HAMPSTEAD — Police continued to search early Tuesday morning for a 9-year-old boy who disappeared shortly after he returned home from a vacation in Florida.

A state police helicopter with a heat-seeking device hovered overhead in the area of Catherine Avenue as authorities launched air and ground searches over a nearly one-mile radius for the boy, identified as Devin Frenette.

A man who answered the phone at the Frenette home at 60 Catherine Ave. and who identified himself as the boy's father said he had been missing since Monday afternoon.

“We just haven't seen him,” he said before hanging up the phone.

Conservation Officer Mike Matson said Frenette disappeared around 1 p.m. Monday, but police weren't notified until just after 4:30 p.m. He said the Frenette family had just returned home Monday from a two-week vacation.

Authorities said Frenette has blond hair, blue eyes, is approximately 42 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds. He was reportedly last seen wearing a blue or black fleece jacket and khaki pants.

State police assisted in the search of the Catherine Avenue area with dogs, along with local police and members of the Rockingham County Sheriff's Department and Fish and Game.

A command post was set up outside the family's home.

Authorities gave no indication that the boy could have been abducted.

"I think from our standpoint we're certainly looking for a lost kid," Matson said.

At least two police dogs assisted in searching the woods and the boy's home. Firefighters also walked the neighborhood.

"Where he's 9 years old, he may be scared of people, so we have people walking behind houses in case he's hiding," Matson said.

Matson said Frenette has walked away from home before, but not for a long period of time. In May, Frenette traveled about three miles before he was found about four hours later by Hampstead police.

Crews would continue searching through the night and into Tuesday, Matson said. With colder temperatures overnight, Matson said hypothermia would be the biggest concern.

"We're searching all roads," Matson said. "We've had conservation officers in the woods. We've had Hampstead firefighters along the roads. We have New Hampshire state troopers on a larger perimeter along the roads by cruiser and the firefighters are going by foot."

Matson said crews also had a large wooded area with a swamp and some tall peaks to search south and east of the neighborhood.

Matson said Frenette was adopted when he was about 2 and has lived in Hampstead since.

Several members of the community and other towns also arrived in the neighborhood to offer their help in finding the boy.

“I only live 10 minutes from here," said Danville resident Barry Hantman, a father of a 13-year-old son. "I'm a Boy Scout leader so I spend a lot of time with kids in the woods. It's easy to get lost.”

Hantman waited on Catherine Avenue in case searchers needed an extra set of eyes. Another father who lives down the street said he came to help as well. As a neighbor, he said he wanted to “make sure everyone was OK.”

A Catherine Avenue neighbor said her family was asked to stay inside their house. She said she couldn't talk as she was attempting to put her own kids to bed, but she expressed concern about the search in her neighborhood.
[Image: AR-111019907.jpg&q=100&maxw=350]

Edit to add story from WMUR:

HAMPSTEAD, N.H. -- A large-scale search is under way in Hampstead, where police are searching for a 9-year-old boy.

Officers are searching for Devin Frenette, who is 42 inches tall, with blond hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a blue fleece jacket and khaki pants.

Local police officers said they have been joined by sheriff's deputies, a county command truck, multiple Fish and Game officers and a New Hampshire State Police K-9 unit.

The search is centered around Catherine Avenue in East Hampstead.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 603-329-5700.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29513256/detail...z1b7VSRARi

Details:

Blond hair, blue eyes
42 inches tall
last seen wearing Blue Jacket and Khaki pants
i got an email about this early this morning, i'm hoping it is not a criminal matter. i know the nights are getting cold, i hope he's found safely today.

There's a couple of things that I don't understand about this...1 is the narrow search area. The Union leader says that he's walked away from home before, and that the police found him three miles away, yet a State Trooper on the news said they were focusing the search within a one mile radius of the family home, and this morning they are still focused on that narrow radius. I would think that they would have expanded the search area by now (at this point he has been missing for at least 16 hours).

The other thing is this quote from the UL story :

"Where he's 9 years old, he may be scared of people, so we have people walking behind houses in case he's hiding," Matson said.

I wonder if there is a reason why they think that he would be afraid of people? Is it just a general assumption the LE go by?

I would think that if he really was afraid of people, he would stay within the safety zone of his home/yard, and not simply 'walk away'.

I'm still hoping that it is simply just a lost child, but the longer he stays missing.....
i get a feeling the boy is hiding out. don't ask me why, i just do.

(10-18-2011, 06:40 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: i get a feeling the boy is hiding out. don't ask me why, i just do.

There's some rumors in the comment section of the story, that suggest these are the foster parents of Devin, and that he's run away more than just the one time that the media is reporting.

No real facts yet.

I hear your hunches are generally right, so I'm hoping this one is also.
volunteer civilian searchers are being turned away from what i hear.

i haven't had a chance to read comments section of local news yet.

Devin Frenette was reported missing to police at 4:44 p.m. Conservation Officer Mike Matson of New Hampshire Fish and & Game said this was the second-time Devin has disappeared this year and that the boy "may have a mentality of someone a few years younger." When he disappeared last spring, police found him three or four miles away within a few hours.

nice home.

[Image: 62ea7f79-8358-48aa-a984-8a1a77108b99_400.jpg]

[Image: ec0a1bea-678b-4747-b451-6756e156d36f_400.jpg]

[Image: DevinFrenette9MISSING-EastHampsteadNH10-17-2011.jpg]

"He may have the mentality of someone a few years younger" - He is 9 years old, would this have not been established already if he did?

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Link to Live Updates from WMUR:

http://livewire.wmur.com/Event/Police_Se...?Article=0

#
Hampstead highway workers are checking culverts to see if the boy may be hiding
by David Sakowich/WMUR Staff 10/18/2011 1:10:33 PM 6:10 AM

#
Command post for search has been set-up at the Hampstead fire department.
by David Sakowich/WMUR Staff 10/18/2011 1:07:47 PM 6:07 AM

now i am starting to wonder.

good
New Hampshire State Police K-9 unit and six more K-9 units from New England Canine Search and Rescue.

[Image: dfe9d3a8-749d-4687-b960-9cf8ec351a84_400.jpg]

[Image: 35c6b39c-a05e-411b-b59e-11c3dbad28dc_400.jpg]

[Image: 5d8b5727-d7ab-4a91-b619-b093350fd367_400.jpg]

[Image: 3dc88597-e1a3-4eaf-ac78-872a83591cdd_400.jpg]

WCVB photos

According to the latest Livewire update, they are now asking for anyone who wishes to volunteer in the search is asked to report to Hampstead's park and ride commuter lot at Routes 121 and 111 in Hampstead. Dress accordingly and be prepared to be out for at least 6 hours.

Read more: http://livewire.wmur.com/Event/Police_Se...z1b9QAP2uW

Also:

NH Fish and Game just had News conference~MUR is posting a video of the presser shortly.
i'm listening to presser. outlining search efforts. i hope they find him before nightfall.

My wife called the cops once when she could not find my son. He was gone for 10 min. and she started freaking out. We got flashlights and went all over the yard. He had gone into the laundry room and got in a basket and covered up with dirty clothes. He slept right through everything. he was 3.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
presser just now:

Wimsatt says he believed Devin was seen last by a parent
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:59 PM

Another conference scheduled for around 5:30
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:58 PM

Sometimes children are found within the first few hours, and sometimes it's a few days, Wimsatt says
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:58 PM

There have been a number of reported sightings, but none are counted as credible yet
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:56 PM

Wimsatt says he doesn't see anything that would affect Devin's abilities to be outside this long
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:55 PM

Capt. John Wimsatt says he has been involved in many searches for children in his career. He says conditions are still favorable for Devin.
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:54 PM

Searches have been mostly in half mile radius
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:53 PM

Sneaker was located, but they don't know if it belonged to Devin

Loud audio speaker device used with recorded message to help find Devin

Officials are not asking for more volunteers to come help search. Fish and Game says the more that show up, the more manpower is needed to deal with people.
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:52 PM

If there is no development, search efforts will still resume throughout night and into morning
by Kevin Clay/Staff 3:51 PM

Fish and Game:
If you see Devin, have voice contact with him, realize that he might not want to approach. Contact 603-329-5700.

oh shit. sorry Devin, you're screwed.

NH Assistant Attorney General Jane Young is assisting local authorities in Hampstead as they search for Devin
by David Sakowich/WMUR Staff 4:26 PM

She was prominent in which recent case? This doesn't bode well. All these missing kids!
(10-18-2011, 05:33 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: She was prominent in which recent case? This doesn't bode well. All these missing kids!

Krista Dittmeyer and Celina Cass.
i don't like that she has inserted herself. or someone thinks it is a criminal matter now. shit. she shows up for big-press cases.

(10-18-2011, 05:37 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: i don't like that she has inserted herself. or someone thinks it is a criminal matter now. shit. she shows up for big-press cases. [/b]

She's annoyed me for a while now. She's never forthcoming with information, she always claim's that it's 'in the best interest of the prosecution, to not divulge that information at this time.'

Offtopic
but she won't even disclose the reason Julie McCrery gave for killing her son, even though it was all over the news that she confessed.
So Devin "wandered off" at 12:30 to 1:00 pm on a Monday afternoon? Why wasn't he in school? School has only been in session for about 6 weeks, but the family just returned from a 2 week vacation? Is this child homeschooled by chance? Has anyone outside the family seen Devin since the family's return from Florida?

If he did wander off, at least he is wearing a jacket and long pants. These articles of clothing may help protect him from the nighttime temps (predicting 47 degrees tonight).
they just got home from florida vacation.
he is home-schooled.
evidently he has mental age of 5 or 6.

Smiley_emoticons_hurra3Smiley_emoticons_hurra3Smiley_emoticons_hurra3

We do not know where he was found or how he was found.
by Trent Spiner/WMUR Staff 6:57 PM

According to NH Fish and Game officers, Devin was found moments ago -- he is back at his home -- safe and sound.

Read more: http://livewire.wmur.com/Event/Police_Se...z1bB3wAM6R