Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Chicken and Apple Challenge
(10-21-2011, 10:27 AM)aileen Wrote: I just recently seen in the grocery store, chicken and apple sausage...maybe google some recipes Smiley_emoticons_wink

Chick/apple sausage actually sounds pretty good.

(10-21-2011, 01:17 PM)IMaDick Wrote: The rest can be made into kid cider after you have canned,dried made into sauce or apple butter or otherwise exhausted your options with apples.

idea's for a cider press? The kids will drink gallons.

(10-21-2011, 01:45 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Consider empanadas.

Sorry Tiki,
Had to look this up~kind of looks like a baked pirogi, or a hot pocket~should go over well with the kids, I'll give it a shot and let you know how many times I cursed at you. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin Thanks!

(10-21-2011, 04:42 PM)Harvest Moon Wrote: My first suggestion is always garlic to fix a bland taste. What kind of taste are you going for?

Not really sure what taste to shoot for-Here's what they looked like before I through them in the oven:
[Image: cooking.jpg]
I would do an arugula salad with chopped apples and grilled chicken cut in strips with a dijon vinagrette in a toasted pita. I don't have the exact measurements of the vinagrette because I just throw it all together by eyeballing it ( as stupid fucking Racheal Ray would say), but I use red wine vinegar, dijon, honey, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt, pepper and oregano.
Wow...cannongal, They look rather yummy prior to being cooked...so how do they taste and what did you end up putting in them? What were you going for in terms of flavor profile and did it work?

That looks like it was a lot of effort on your part, so I hope they were delicious.

Keeping with Mock traditions...I hope you "threw" them in the oven..not "through" them. Smiley_emoticons_wink
(10-21-2011, 04:47 PM)Harvest Moon Wrote: I tried to post some pictures for you, but I think they disappeared.
[Image: s83700524_30421539_9278.jpg]

Canyon de Chelly?

White House ruins?

(10-21-2011, 05:33 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Canyon de Chelly?

Yes...One of the most amazing days of my life and it did not include sex. I'll post some more pictures when I get a chance.

It's majestic and magical.

Screw Sedona . . . although it's beautiful, too.

Just avoid their sweatlodges like a Vortex.
(10-21-2011, 05:29 PM)Harvest Moon Wrote: delicious.

Keeping with Mock traditions...I hope you "threw" them in the oven..not "through" them. Smiley_emoticons_wink

Yeah, I've always been terrible with certain homophones, I still slip now and then.

Here's how supper turned out:

[Image: cooking001.jpg?t=1319236751]

It really wasn't that much work, I spent more time loading the dishwasher than anything else. I tried using Ginger, sage and cinnamon for spices.

The kids gave it the 'not bad' award. Smiley_emoticons_hurra3

Hey! Cannonbitch, have you ever gone to the Beanstalk (Chichester country store) and tried the apple cider doughnuts they make there? Its on 106 and they have a big following now. They have been putting out on a good week 12,000 doughnuts a week. The plastic bags they put them in degrade in 3 weeks in a compost pile. I hit it on the way up north.
Anyways, I just got off the phone with a girl I went to high school with her name is Lisa and she said they have a ton of recipe books with apples in them there. Bird, venison whatever for like 3 bucks each. They are written by N.H. people around town and as I talked to her she said they have sausage, apple chicken, pork, deer, lamb stuff that would make your mouth water just reading them. That is if you are near Chichester. Smiley_emoticons_smile
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
those apple cider donuts should be illegal and a controlled substance!

hand them over!
[Image: funny_police_doughnut_tshirt-p2358058083...bm_152.jpg]

[Image: image_11445.jpg]

It's been so long since I've had any kind of bread...sigh. Those look divine.

I have a few recipes for chicken and apple somewhere. One has cranberry and sage. Will dig them off computer when I'm able to.

(10-21-2011, 08:07 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: It's been so long since I've had any kind of bread...sigh. Those look divine.

I have a few recipes for chicken and apple somewhere. One has cranberry and sage. Will dig them off computer when I'm able to.

Do you avoid carbs? Is protien better?
I gave up eating grains or wheat, so processed carbs..yes. I avoid them. They spike insulin levels, and can cause all kinds of gut issues.
(10-21-2011, 08:32 PM)Fibonacci Prima Wrote: I gave up eating grains or wheat, so processed carbs..yes. I avoid them. They spike insulin levels, and can cause all kinds of gut issues.

So homemade bread is ..........bad? I dont eat that store bought stuff. And I only use real butter. No margrine. I thought most foods were fine in moderation. But I know shit about that stuff.

I think anything that lists ingredients that can't be pronounced are probably very bad for us.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-21-2011, 07:54 PM)Maggot Wrote: Hey! Cannonbitch, have you ever gone to the Beanstalk (Chichester country store) and tried the apple cider doughnuts they make there? Its on 106 and they have a big following now. They have been putting out on a good week 12,000 doughnuts a week. The plastic bags they put them in degrade in 3 weeks in a compost pile. I hit it on the way up north.
Anyways, I just got off the phone with a girl I went to high school with her name is Lisa and she said they have a ton of recipe books with apples in them there. Bird, venison whatever for like 3 bucks each. They are written by N.H. people around town and as I talked to her she said they have sausage, apple chicken, pork, deer, lamb stuff that would make your mouth water just reading them. That is if you are near Chichester. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Woohoo! I have family in Chichester, Looks like I'm going to visit them soon. I know where 106 is, is the store on the north side of Rte 4, or the south side?

(10-22-2011, 05:36 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I think anything that lists ingredients that can't be pronounced are probably very bad for us.

I so totally agree with that, if and when I do buy processed food, I always look at the ingredients. Never bought jarred baby food or formula. Certain food dyes have been linked to ADHD~my brats are hyper enough without them. Yesterday, they decided to build an apple cannon, and tried to talk me into "letting them feed those poor defenseless critters on the other side of the river". At least they keep themselves busy.
(10-21-2011, 09:31 PM)Maggot Wrote: So homemade bread is ..........bad? I dont eat that store bought stuff. And I only use real butter. No margrine. I thought most foods were fine in moderation. But I know shit about that stuff.

Quote:Duchess Wrote:

That's my philosophy on cooking and eating - made from scratch, not much processed foods, and moderation. Whole grains and brown rice, etc..

Same here, Maggot, I make my own bread most of the time and use real butter. I haven't bought anything like margarine in over 20 years.

I was going to say in my stuffing/dressing recipe above that I make a homemade "stuffing bread", but thought that would be just way to complicated for the post. I do have a bread machine and I use it often.
Home made bread is a LOT better than the plastic wrapped mass produced stuff. Tastes better, too.