Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CHRISTMAS COOKIES
(11-11-2011, 08:50 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: it wasn't Christmas without pignoli nut cookies from Boston's Italian North End. as well as other yummy Italian goodies like torrone in little individual boxes~

i have a springerle rolling pin for some fancy cookies.

and a collection of cookie molds i used to press my ginger cookie dough into shapes that could be eaten or hung on the tree~ Mini xmas tree

[Image: laflorentine-torrone.jpg]

torrone

[Image: Pignoli-Pine-Nut-Cookie.jpg]

pignoli nut cookies

[Image: 2010-11-30%2B140-2.jpg]

[Image: springerle-kingarthurflour-230.jpg]

springerle

[Image: cookie+mold+2.jpg]

molds . they can be clay or wooden

[Image: fox+cookie+mold.jpg]

Those are some super cool cookie makers there. That gives me an idea!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(12-18-2011, 10:14 PM)Maggot Wrote: Those are some super cool cookie makers there. That gives me an idea!

[Image: Gollum-is-back--34868.jpg]

Helpful Household Hint: Nobody will eat bedpan cookies.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
not just for Christmas!

these Joe Froggers have very similar ingredients to my world-famous ginger cookies, but mine are very crisp and these are soft.

mine--->

http://mockforums.net/thread-4210.html post #1

Joe Froggers
[Image: 637.jpg]

The Legend of Joe Froggers: A couple known as Aunt Crease and Black Joe lived at the edge of a pond in Marblehead, Massachusetts. Joe had fought in the Revolution as a young man. On election night, they would open their house, which on occasion was also a local tavern, and serve grog. Joe would play the fiddle and Aunt Crease would cook.

One of her specialties was a molasses cookie the size of a modern-day salad plate. She made them for fishermen, who found they stored well in barrels during long sea voyages.

In the early 1800s, the election took place at the end of May, a time when frogs were peeping in the pond, and by association the cookies were called Joe's Froggers. Over time the possessive was dropped, and the name today is Joe Froggers.

Yield: 8 dozen

This recipe and the legend behind it are a part of the history of Marblehead, Massachusetts. Be sure to use the specified ingredients -- no substitutions. Avoid too much rolling out.

34 cup hot water
14 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark rum
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups unsulphured dark molasses
6 to 7 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
12 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
In a small bowl, combine hot water and rum. In a second bowl, combine soda and molasses. In a third bowl, whisk together 6 cups flour with salt and spices. Set aside.

In a separate large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Blend water and rum into creamed mixture. Alternately add molasses and dry ingredients until well blended, stopping periodically to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. (If dough is too stiff, add a little water; if not stiff enough, add more flour.)

Divide dough into three balls, cover with plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease two baking sheets or line with parchment.

Roll out dough onto a floured board and cut with 2-inch cookie cutter or rim of glass. Bake on prepared cookie sheet, 2 inches apart, for 10 minutes or until the cookies have set but still seem soft in the middle. Do not overbake.

Alternately, do not roll out the dough, but break off pieces and roll between your palms until they are the size of ping-pong balls. Arrange the balls on the baking sheet, then place 12 cup granulated sugar into a bowl. Press the bottom of a drinking glass into the sugar, then press it onto each ball of dough, flattening it before baking.

yankee magazine

Triple Chocolate Cookie Balls ~

WHAT YOU NEED -
12 cup cold milk
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
12 oz. BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
1 oz. BAKER'S White Chocolate, melted

Stir milk and pudding mix in medium bowl with large spoon just until pudding mix is moistened. Immediately stir in cookie crumbs; mix well.

Shape into 42 (1-inch) balls. Freeze 10 min. Dip in semi-sweet chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.

Refrigerate 20 min. or until firm. Drizzle with white chocolate; refrigerate 10 min. or until firm.

[Image: jello_4.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
^I prefer Rum Balls.

What you need: A shit ton of rum. chocolate, and crushed up graham crackers.[/b]

Can you give more detailed instructions than a shit ton of rum? Thanks!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yeah...maybe later...went to the Hobbit midnight showing and shopping and stuff just got home hour ago...probably sleepytime soon...
I like brownies better than cookies; made these for a Christmas party a couple of years back. They're really good and easy.

You just need boxed brownie mix, some green cake write gel, eggs, oil, butter, & M&Ms. I cut the brownies into triangle shape and stuck a candy cane as a tree trunk in the bottom of each after they cooled. Good mix of chocolate and mint.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNMtuhJcMUkXROb174WOS...AFPpxzYiBg]

You can use any boxed brownie mix (I love Ghiradelli Extra Dark) and just follow the instructions.
Most everyone loves Brownies those peppermint pattie ones are wild!!
recipe is on the bag.

I like Cherry Winks a small cookie rolled in cornflakes and a cherry on top, so sweet on a plate all those red cherries on top.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau