Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
COOKBOOKS~old and new~
i have a pretty large collection of cookbooks, from classic Julia Child to the old Victory Garden cookbook, seafood of New England as well as the Caribbean, must-have Fanny Farmer baking, 'JOY', the kitchen bible, too many to list! a few antiques also, they are fun.

i just ordered this one. my Mom was a Southern lady, so i ordered it for my sister too. reviews sounded delicious!

[Image: 51A6YNNGR1L._SS500_.jpg]

can get it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Bros-Southern-...039305781X

The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook

Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
2007 James Beard Cookbook of the Year

From the book jacket:

The Lee Bros. long-anticipated first cookbook is a culinary coming-of-age tale, narrated in recipes and amusing anecdotes, of how two boys learned to cook Southern without a Southern grandmother Inside, you’ll find exceptional recipes for Fried Chicken, Crab Cakes, and Red Velvet Cake, the Southern classics that have become restaurant hits around the country. But you’ll also find lesser-known preparations such as St. Cecilia Punch, Frogmore Stew, and Shrimp Burgers—dishes that seem fresh and original agains the backdrop of iconic American comfort food. Also here are recipes that bear the hallmark of the Lee Bros.’ style: simple yet sophisticated dishes such as Hoppin’ John, Scuppernong Grape and Hot-Pepper-Roasted Duck,a Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie that ushers Southern cooking into the twenty-first century while never losing sight of its deep roots. No one brings the same blend of witty intelligence, reverence and since passion to Southern food culture.

The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Chapter 1: Drinks
Chapter 2: Boiled Peanuts, Grazes and Hors d’Oeuvres
Chapter 3: Pickles, Relishes, and Preserves
Chapter 4: Grits and Rice
Chapter 5: Greens, Peas, Corn, Okra, Cabbage, Mushrooms, and Squash
Chapter 6: Stews and Soups
Chapter 7: Poultry, Pork, Beef, and Game
Chapter 8: Fish, Oysters, Crabs, and Shrimp
Chapter 9: Desserts
Chapter 10: The Bread Basket and the Pantry
Full Index

the English are not noted for their cuisine, but i bought this for the anecdotes and old-style illustrations in pen and ink.
puddings, meats, game, pasties, cheeses, interesting stuff.

[Image: oldcookbook.jpg]

Geez, the Lee brothers could be OP and Dick. I just think the pastel shirts should be plaid.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I have a lot of cookbooks. I even had bookshelves built in to each end of the island to store them. The closest I ever get to them is to run the feather duster over 'em.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Got this one when I was a kid...and still have it. Actually have still used it now and then.

[Image: BetterHomesnGardenJuniorCookbook-Lo.jpg]
for all the cookbooks i have, i think my favorite recipes are the many handwritten ones saved in a file from my Grandmother and Mother. all loose and unsorted, just there, food-stained and cherished.

(11-02-2011, 08:08 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: [Image: 51A6YNNGR1L._SS500_.jpg]

I remember those guys from TV. They are famous for country captain.

I have cookbooks, but never look at them. The Internet has every recipe I need if I don't already know how to make it. My favorites are the regional church cookbooks. You can trust church ladies to make good food.

This is the one I like most lately:
[Image: 5115X3Q5N3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(11-03-2011, 05:11 PM)Cracker Wrote: My favorites are the regional church cookbooks. You can trust church ladies to make good food.

I also love those regional church/charity cookbooks, I have a few that a really treasure.
"50 Years 1944-1994" Hope Lutheran Church Cookbook, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Printed in December 1993.

"Forum Feasts" ("favorite recipes from friends of The Forum School") I have copies from 1970, 1978 and 1988. The Forum School is in Waldwick, NJ

"Helping Hands at Allstate presents The Happy Cooker", published in NY in 1985. I don't remember where it came from, but all funds generated went to local charities. I occasionally still cook some recipes from it.

Nice article about "Forum Feasts" here: http://www.northjersey.com/news/11750530...them_.html
I first read about these fellows in the New York Times I believe and here they are doing what they LOVE to do out in the country and they have a new Cookbook which I've mentioned on here and one of them was a former Drag Queen no less - they have their own T.V. Show - I think their Cookbook is very very good!

[Image: Product_STG10050_Image_1?%24product%24]

https://www.onekingslane.com/product/127...715_258962

More on the Beekman boys here....... http://www.paulinepark.com/index.php/201...c-farmers/
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
i've been reading some good comments about this, it's supposed to be a humorous read. i ordered it. i want to hear about her chickens and ducks. hah

hey Maggot! ---> countertops laden with lacto-fermenting pickles.[Image: badassbuddy_com-ticklemypk.gif]

[Image: 51ZPD%252BGEZCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

With its fresh voice and delightful humor, Make the Bread, Buy the Butter gives 120 recipes with eminently practical yet deliciously fun “Make or buy” recommendations. Reese is relentlessly entertaining as she relates her food and animal husbandry adventures, which amuse and perplex as well as nourish and sustain her family. Her tales include living with a backyard full of cheerful chickens, muttering ducks, and adorable baby goats; countertops laden with lacto-fermenting pickles; and closets full of mellowing cheeses. Here’s the full picture of what is involved in a truly homemade life—with the good news that you shouldn’t try to make everything yourself—and how to get the most out of your time in the kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Bread-Buy-But...1451605870

I have some really old cookbooks, the ones that use the old time measurments screw me up though.
(01-07-2012, 08:36 PM)Maggot Wrote: I have some really old cookbooks, the ones that use the old time measurments screw me up though.

What is that? We have used the English Standard System for pretty much ever.

Does this help?:
60 pounds apples = 1 bushel
52 pounds beans = 1 bushel
24 pounds beets = 1 bushel
56 pounds carrots = 1 bushel
55 pounds flour = 1 bushel
54 pounds onions = 1 bushel
45 pounds parsnips = 1 bushel
50 pounds potatoes = 1 bushel
60 pounds string beans = 1 bushel
60 pounds sweet potatoes = 1 bushel
48 pounds tomatoes = 1 bushel
196 pounds turnips = 1 barrel
1 gill = 12 cup
1 pottle = 2 quarts
1 coomb = 4 bushels
1 wey = 40 bushels
1 last = 80 bushels
1 firkin = 9 gallons
1 anker = 10 gallons
1 runlet = 18 gallons
1 tierce = 42 gallons
1 hogshead = 63 gallons
1 puncheon = 84 gallons
1 butt = 126 gallons

I always knew you were a firken puncheon butt.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I always wanted this cookbook, but I never get it because I know I won't use it:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCM_6Z5h8UM8vKL8USEKB...uujzk7Txhw]
I just want it to have because I read the books. So I will resist.
Fuck, just bought it. I blame you bastards for bringing it up in the first place.
Cracker:
When I go out to the barn in the morning I will dig through the box I have out there and look for a few examples. These are from the turn of the century and they have a bunch of notes written in them.
If you ever care to post a recipe, I will try it out. I like old recipes, especially the simple ones. No mince meat recipes, please. Cracker doesn't eat that.

You could post a margin-blowing pic instead of typing one in stoned...
Here is a cool one that was in a book from the 40's

DATE JELLY
To make this jelly, stew some dates I pray.
Until the stones slip easily away;
Then take a mould, a circle one is best,
And in it a place, like lining in a nest,
The rich dark fruit cut into little strips.
Next, add a layer of almond chips.
Then one of dates, then nuts, then dates once more,
And over all clear lemon jelly pour.
Set on the ice until its time to serve
Heaped with whipped cream in many a graceful curve.

Remember what I said about me trying it? Nevermind that now.

Isn't there one for meatloaf or something normal? Maybe something with bacon? Or apple butter? I haven't had apple butter since I was a kid.
(01-07-2012, 10:06 PM)Cracker Wrote: Remember what I said about me trying it? Nevermind that now.

Isn't there one for meatloaf or something normal? Maybe something with bacon? Or apple butter? I haven't had apple butter since I was a kid.

oooo i love good apple butter! i have some on hand now that i got at some little market that sells homemade local goods. yummy...
all the apples i get from my trees and i've never tried to make it.
try a local farmstand-type place?

There is a bunch in there. All the local advertisements in that cookbook has 3 numbers as a telephone number! Like dial 739 and so on.