Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anyone like Mangoes?
Here is my Mango Salsa recipe, it actually got published in a Locals recipe book published by the Delray Beach Librairy

Peel and cut up 5 large ripe mangos
Finely Mince 12 of a Habanero pepper, use a whole one if you like heat, 12 is good for most non Texan types
chop 1 small white onion
chop 12 a bunch of Cilantro
Squeeze the juice from 1 Lime

Combine all ingredients in the food processor and run it for about a minute.
This is great stuff for chips, as a marinade for Chicken or Pork, even Fish
mangoes are the best fruit anywhere! i miss the big hayden mangoes i used to get down in the Keys, you can't get them up here.
your salsa sounds very yummy! *slurp* mangoes must be eaten naked or on a boat since they are so drippy~ Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

i loved my Grandma's mango tree when i was a kid 70

[Image: MangoTree.jpg]

Now there is an image I can work with.
And Thank You
Grilled Mahi and mango salsa and I'll follow you anywhere. *droolthud*
there are also a number of Major Grey's chutney brands out there. here is a good one~

The gold standard of all chutneys, based on the British influence of bringing chutney back to Europe from mythical Major Grey's journeys abroad in India, South Africa and the Caribbean. We at Stonewall created our own take on Major Grey's by combining nothing but all natural ingredients including plenty of mangoes and red peppers, without high fructose crap.

[Image: 130821b.jpg]

This is a lovely tropical fruit so versatile - Panera Bread has smoothies one of them is Mango, the good news is they use Stonyfield yogurt so it's kinda pricey but, quality!! I make my own with a Cup of Stonyfield Vanilla Yogurt a cup of crushed ice and a cup of cubed Mango - add a tablespoon of sugar if desired - blend and enjoy!! Very easy.

The Salsa mentioned above I must try & the Chutney above sounds so good also!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau

I don't think I've ever had a mango. Nope.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-18-2011, 06:06 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Duchess, You are missing a treat, They are available right now at the market. Just be aware of the large seed if you eat it like a peach. What about cilantro? Alot of people have not had mango or cilantro and don't know what they're missing.

Cilantro sounds familiar so I may have had that in something my boss has prepared, she is an awesome cook & sends food to my home all the time. I haven't had to cook in two weeks.
(11-18-2011, 06:06 AM)Duchess Wrote:

i'm shocked! get a couple, now! let them get ripe on the kitchen counter for a couple days, until squeezable-soft.

mangoes do not want to be cut away from their large seed, they cling to the seed & can be tricky. cut over the sink because they will drip all over, a sticky sweet juice. then just slurp 'em up and you'll be in the tropics![Image: smiley_hulagirl.gif]

or ohio. hahahahaha

let me know after you try some~

[Image: Tropics%20Menu.jpg]

(11-18-2011, 09:44 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: get a couple, now! let them get ripe on the kitchen counter for a couple days, until squeezable-soft.

I'll pick up a couple when I'm at the market over the weekend. Smiley_emoticons_smile

look for a reddish blush on them. it's a shame, markets only carry a variety of small mango, the hayden is 3 times the size of the ones in most supermarkets. but you can't get them outside south florida that i know of. maybe special-ordered.
i hope you like them...one fine way to enjoy them is cut up with banana like a fruit salad, the two go together perfectly. YUM

[Image: mango3.jpg]

Yum Yum!! is right to the picture above - beautiful picture. Haagen Dazs does a Mango Sorbet if you don't wish to make your own.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
i was surprised Duchess told me she didn't like mangoes when she tried one!

[Image: 5468262E.jpg]

[Image: 5468272E.jpg]

[Image: 5468280E.jpg]

Special to The Miami Herald

“A mango tree inspires a sense of community,” says chef Allen Susser, who wrote The Great Mango Book . “No one family can use all the fruit a tree produces so they have to share.”

And when you get a bit of the bounty, there’s no better way to enjoy it than hanging over the sink with juice dripping down your arms. YEP! or on a boat in the Keys! *slurp*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salad My Favorite Black Bean and Mango Salad Choose a firm, ripe mango for this salad so it holds its shape. 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced 3 scallions, white bulb and 3 inches of green, sliced 2 plum tomatoes, chopped 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro 1 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper 34 teaspoon salt 1 firm but ripe mango, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 1 ¼ cups chopped) Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive bowl. Toss to combine. Cover and let sit at room temperature at least 1 hour before serving. Gently toss right before serving. Makes about 7 cups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frosting. Sweet Curry Frosting The curry flavor is gentle but it adds vivid color to this cream cheese frosting that melds perfectly with Chef Allen’s mango cake (see recipe). If you don’t like curry flavor, you can omit the spice and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. 4 ounces cream cheese, softened 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) butter, softened 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder 2 cups confectioners’ sugar With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and well combined. With the mixer on low speed, add curry powder and then the confectioners’ sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing until smooth and creamy. Makes about 1 cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soup. Caribbean Mango Gazpacho Chef Kareem Anguin suggests a garnish of additional chopped cucumber and mango. His recipe calls for half a Scotch bonnet pepper, but although we like our food hot, we found that a bit much. We’ve cut it back, but feel free to add more to taste. 1 firm, ripe mango, peeled, seeded and chopped 2 small tomatoes, chopped 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped 18 seeded Scotch bonnet pepper, minced 1 small celery rib, chopped 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 1/2 teaspoons yuzu, sour orange or lime juice 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro 1 1/2 teaspoons honey 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar 1 cup orange juice 1 garlic clove, chopped Salt and fresh-ground pepper, to taste Place mango, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, Scotch bonnet pepper and celery in a nonreactive bowl with olive oil and citrus juice. Set aside about 15 minutes. Place marinated vegetables with any liquid in a blender or food processor. Add cilantro, honey, sherry vinegar, orange juice and garlic. Process to preferred consistency. Pour into a nonreactive bowl and stir in salt and pepper. Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours before serving. Makes about 5 1/2 cups. Source: Adapted from executive chef Kareem Anguin of The Oceanaire Seafood Room in Miami.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dessert Chef Allen’s Mango Cake with Sweet Curry Frosting The mangoes in this recipe are used in two forms. Choose a very ripe one for the puree and a firmer but still ripe one to chop. Skip the frosting if you wish and serve the cake with ice cream or whipped cream. 14 cup butter, at room temperature 34 cup sugar 1 cup pureed mango 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger 1 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 12 teaspoon baking soda 12 teaspoon cinnamon 1 cup diced mango 1 cup chopped walnuts Sweet Curry Frosting, optional (see recipe) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light. Add mango puree, egg, vanilla, lime juice and ginger. Mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the mango mixture, stirring until just smooth. Fold in the diced mango and walnuts. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan 10 minutes before removing the cake and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Makes 10 servings.

If you have a dehydrator you can slice the mangoes about a half inch thick and dehydrate them. Mango Jerky, Yum
mangoes as weapons!

[Image: 120721_new_bedford_Mango_armed_robbers.jpg]

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WHDH) -- An 80-year-old woman armed herself with mangoes to defend her family store from armed robbers on Friday afternoon.

When robbery suspects went for the cash register at the Continental Market, an elderly woman went for a box of mangoes. When she saw a gun, she started launching the fruit at the suspects.

When the suspects fled, she followed them. Video shows one of the suspects hitting the woman on the head with a gun.

“I saw my mother-in-law come out and scream and I saw two guys running down. So I thought they stole a pocket book so I started following them,” said Manuel Nogueira, the store’s owner.

New Bedford police said the men took $400 or $500 from the cash register.

Surveillance video shows that a clerk was shown a handgun as one of the suspects went for the cash register’s drawer. Then the store owner’s mother-in-law went to the counter and launched mangoes at the suspects.

“She has a lot of courage you know. A lot of courage,” said Nogueira.

She isn’t the only one -- owner Manuel Nogueira said he followed the men who fled from his market for two blocks. Then he said he managed to pin one down on the sidewalk.

“One of the friends comes and helped me hold the guy,” said Nogueira.

Both suspects were arrested by police who said they also found the gun seen in the video. Police said the weapon cut and bruised the woman’s head, but it didn’t seem to keep her from fighting back.

The woman said she got off about five shots with the mangoes before she was hit in the head. 7News spoke with her on Saturday and she said she was recovering and will be back on her feet on Sunday.

[Image: article-2177170-1429770F000005DC-385_634x472.jpg]

[Image: article-2177170-142975E7000005DC-309_306x423.jpg]
Eduardo Torres-Lopez, 22,

[Image: article-2177170-14297496000005DC-253_306x423.jpg]
Jesse DosSantos, 24

i hope these two dipshits are the laughing-stock of the street!
hah

sounds good!

sorry for huge photo!

ASIAN MANGO CHICKEN

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon sesame or canola oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon honey
12 teaspoon green curry paste
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons diced peeled cucumber
2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
18 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Chopped dry roasted peanuts
Instructions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for 4–5 minutes on each side, or until a meat thermometer reads 170 F. Remove and keep warm.
Add the vinegar, garlic, honey and curry paste to the pan; cook and stir for 1–2 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Return chicken to the pan.
Combine the mango, onion, cucumber, red pepper and cayenne. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with peanuts.

[Image: Asian-Mango-Chicken.jpg]

Huge? I have a 24 inch monitor & it's not big enough for that photo. hah
You all do some creative things with mongoose!

Oh, wait...

Nevermind.
Mango cream sauce (over chicken and pasta).

Takes a bit of prep, but I had something similar at a restaurant last year and it was really good. Gonna give this a try at home next week.

[Image: 2346.jpg]

-1 mango - peeled, seeded and chopped
-8 ounces rigatoni
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
-1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
-1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
-1 cup heavy cream
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
-Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rigatoni pasta, cook for 8 minutes, until almost done, and drain.

-Heat 12 the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet, and cook 10 minutes, or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, and set aside.

-Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet, and cook the onion and green pepper until tender. Mix in the garlic, ginger, and mango, and continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until mango is soft. Gradually mix the heavy cream into the skillet, and cook 5 minutes, until thickened.

-Return the chicken to the skillet. Stir in the partially cooked pasta, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes, until ingredients are well blended and pasta is al dente. Mix in the cheese. Garnish with parsley to serve.