Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venison
(11-29-2011, 01:43 PM)Duchess Wrote:

If I had you over the last thing I would be doing would be cooking for you. Smiley_emoticons_fies

116 I meant, when we were out, if you insisted I ordered it n' stuff.
86 112
Now Duch is gonna hate me for this. I've never eaten horse meat, yet, but the best game meat is Zebra, which is pretty close to a horse I guess. Absolutely wicked and nothing better if you make that old traditional German "Sauerbraten".

Everytime I walk thru the African plains with all those Gazelle's and Antelopes grazing there, I see them all nicely glazed and roasting away. Must be that bit of Neanderthal still left in me.

Use some of the Venison bones to make a nice broth, especially the leg bones, or if you enjoy cooking, take it further with a Venison Consomme. With the rest of the bones make a gravy, or as we call it Demi Glace. Reduce it. Then caramelize some sugar in butter, add crushed Juniper Berries, deglaze with Port and add the Venison Gravy. Simmer for about half an hour, strain, add cream, and reduce until it got a nice texture.

Braised Red Cabbage, Spaetzle in Cream, Roast Venison Medallions and that Juniper Berry Cream, eh voila, a truly royal winter dish.
I'm fucking hungry for meat now ... you bitches make my mouth water ...
86 112
(11-30-2011, 12:20 AM)Mohammed Wrote: Use some of the Venison bones to make a nice broth, especially the leg bones, or if you enjoy cooking, take it further with a Venison Consomme. With the rest of the bones make a gravy, or as we call it Demi Glace. Reduce it. Then caramelize some sugar in butter, add crushed Juniper Berries, deglaze with Port and add the Venison Gravy. Simmer for about half an hour, strain, add cream, and reduce until it got a nice texture.

Braised Red Cabbage, Spaetzle in Cream, Roast Venison Medallions and that Juniper Berry Cream, eh voila, a truly royal winter dish.

Thanks for the ideas Mohammed! My husband just got his second deer of the season, so I asked him to bring home some of the bones for making broth to use for sauces and gravy. I love the idea of creating a dish using Swiss/Austria/German influences with Juniper berries and some Port. I'll probably take it a step further with making caramelized onions with some sugar before making it into the gravy with venison broth, Juniper berries and Port.

It looks like our Christmas dinner this year will be roast venison with a caramelized onion/port sauce, homemade spaetzle, red cabbage and whatever other veggies we decide to make.
(11-29-2011, 01:42 PM)IMaDick Wrote:
(11-29-2011, 01:38 PM)Middle Finger Wrote:
(11-29-2011, 11:22 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(11-29-2011, 11:13 AM)Middle Finger Wrote: Yeah ...

[Image: slap.gif]

Let me put it this way ... if you had me over, and we smoked a little weed, had a glass of wine with dinner, and you proudly served some venison or horse meat ... I'm eating it all, basically. I wouldn't dare insult you or your time and effort, and I certainly would try to remain open.

How absolutely ass kisser of you.

Fuck you, Dick! Frank sounds like great guest, why are you trying to dog him? I will poke your eyes out, motherfucker.

Try making some Summer Sausage...but you need a meat grinder at least, but a sausage stuffer is also nice. You need to have ground venison with ground pork fat at an 8020 mix.

There is a kit sold under the Backwoods brand at Gander Mountain and other retailers. While I find it a little too salty, the flavor is really yummy. Our friends and co-workers like it so much that they are offering to buy some of our sausages to give as gifts for Christmas.

If you don't have a sausage stuffer, it still comes out great if you just roll it into a log and bake. The Backwoods brand package gives instructions for making in a regular oven or a smoker. Since we are using an oven, we add liquid smoke to the mix.