Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arlington at Christmas
i am grateful, for my parents rest there.

Volunteers honored veterans buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Saturday with a massive effort to lay tens of thousands of holiday wreaths at their tombstones.

Maine's Gov. Paul LePage and Sen. Olympia Snowe joined thousands of volunteers in placing the wreaths with red bows at the gravesites of about 90,000 veterans. It was the most wreaths ever placed at the cemetery in a 20-year-old tradition.

[Image: article-0-0F20E2FA00000578-731_964x604.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0F21414C00000578-546_964x585.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0F209D7800000578-841_964x517.jpg]

Those are lovely.

It would be cool to be buried in Robert E. Lee's front yard.

Arlington was the inherited home of Lee's wife. The land originally belonged to her father, who was Martha Washington's grandson. He was adopted by George Washington after his father died. The property was stolen from the Lees at the beginning of the Civil War. They never got it back.

I would like to visit the graves of Chaffee and Grissom (Ed White is buried at somewhere else), Grace Hopper, and Jackie O. The Columbia and Challenger crews are also there. Your parents are in good company. Smiley_emoticons_smile

In the small Confederate section, the graves are labeled with CSA (Confederate States of America). I still don't think that was a bad idea (states' rights, didn't need to be a big ol' war about it, damn).

I'm not sure I would walk around Arlington, though, because most of the graves look the same (like all military graveyards).
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
My Ex Husband is an Army vet and belongs to Rolling Thunder. He took my Oldest son to Arlington on Memorial Weekend as part of a nationwide Tribute ride to the Tomb Of the Unknown Solder. My son took a little over 3,000 pictures in a 4 day period, plus a 25 minute Video of one of the ceremonies. He found out he could fall asleep on the back of a Goldwing, and came back with a lifetime of memories.

(12-11-2011, 04:19 PM)cannongal Wrote: My Ex Husband is an Army vet and belongs to Rolling Thunder. He took my Oldest son to Arlington on Memorial Weekend as part of a nationwide Tribute ride to the Tomb Of the Unknown Solder. My son took a little over 3,000 pictures in a 4 day period, plus a 25 minute Video of one of the ceremonies. He found out he could fall asleep on the back of a Goldwing, and came back with a lifetime of memories.
Rolling Thunder does a helluva lot for the Vets.My hats off to all of them.Your Son has memories he wont be able to put into words and Arlington is a place never forgotten.