Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Roasting for Dummies!!!!!
I need new roasting ideas. I'm just learning how to roast chicken.
Ok, put a dumbass sign on my back.
But, really I am 34yrs old and I'm just really learning how to roast. I have found a great recipe for Apple Cider Chicken and it is yummy. But I would love other roasting ideas. Not just chicken or turkey.
Please make it simple, for this is roasting for dummies here.
My mother gave me my great grandmothers Guardian Service roasting pan and I've been excited to try anything in it. Please help!!!!!
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!Thumb_smiley-vault-signs-060
everyone has to start somewhere. and roasting is simple. learn your cuts of meat and arm yourself with a good meat thermometer. those are 2 important things i want to suggest.

i'll come back to your thread to say more, but it's after midnight. 32

instant reading, not the type you leave in roast/oven

[Image: traditional-meat-thermometer.gif]

I have been wanting to make this: http://www.knorr.com/Recipes/7965/1/Autu...nions.aspx but haven't yet.

I'm with LC, bed time. I usually roast beef the old fashioned way with peeled and cut up carrots, potatoes, and onions, a little water, and salt/pepper/garlic on the beef. Not exciting, but good.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
some less tender beef roasts require pot roasting, covered, some liquid. they need to be cooked until tender. potatoes, onions, carrots, all go in a pot roast. cook on low and slow oven. or large crock pot.

some people like lamb pink. not me. yuck. well done, dry roasted, with lots of garlic and rosemary.

poultry always well cooked.

pork must be well done. and can be dry. you'll find lots of roast pork recipes online.

but if i buy a big inexpensive pork shoulder i will cook all day on low, covered, with a good BBQ sauce. and onions in there. maybe baked beans on side.

then there are more tender beef cuts like prime rib. dry roasting to no more than medium. that's when you need that meat thermometer. they are expensive and you don't want it overcooked. that's what i'm doing for Christmas.

prime rib

[Image: 4730529672_bce89c393b.jpg]

pork shoulder. it can be roasted dry very slowly. it's a little fatty, but very good. basis for Southern BBQ
there are other pork roasts of course. pork tenderloin etc.

[Image: 2009_03_17-porkshoulder1.jpg]

[Image: pork1.jpg]

leg of lamb. mmmmmm

[Image: Garlic%20Roast%20Leg%20of%20Lamb.jpg]

ok this is not something you do every day. but for those thinking of lamb for Christmas...i sort of lost my mind today in the market and bought a 10 lb. fresh domestic leg of lamb. for $78.!! Smiley_emoticons_shocked
it was so beautiful i rationalized to myself, well it's Christmastime.
it's in cryovac (but not frozen!) and says sell-by Jan. 1. i'll use it before then.
it can be deboned and butterflied if you wish.

so here is what i will do with this investment:
i will make a simple marinade of rosemary, olive oil, garlic, shallots, pepper, a little fresh lemon juice, dry red wine. let it stand in the marinade overnight in fridge.

then roast it to well done which is my preference. many would only cook it to pink. nope.
LOTS of garlic, lots of rosemary. cut little incisions in the meat and insert garlic cloves.

[Image: 2466510-raw-leg-of-lamb-joint.jpg]

[Image: 4186908232_034076e98c.jpg]

Baaaaa
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I want to eat at LC's house.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
[Image: 276625-10-cute-lamb.jpg]

[Image: 171904871_baf80d7f22_z.jpg]
Ok, got an instant read. And I'm ready to try some more!
I agree with ramseycat, I coming to your house LC for dinner!!!!!!! Screw doing it myself!
But I will give it a try! Got family to feed this weekend, so it's just chicken right now. But roast and lamb is stuff I'd like to try!
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!Thumb_smiley-vault-signs-060
(12-16-2011, 08:23 PM)chinchillas2cool Wrote: lamb is stuff I'd like to try!

I just put the ol' voodoo on the chicken you're planning to serve your dinner guests.

Oops, you said family not guests.
for $78. i could have probably bought a whole living lamb and had 4 legs and lamb chops too. Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

You're a viper!
(12-16-2011, 08:43 PM)Duchess Wrote:

You're a viper!

you need to avoid this thread before i move on to veal. hahaha

[Image: Mary_had_a_little_lamb_by_N.jpg]
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

You're a viper too.
I don't eat much meat. Creeps me tf lately.

I have never tasted mutton or lamb in my life. My dad was from Kansas and lived through the Dust Bowl. I grew up on a cattle ranch. We don't eat sheep, ever. E.V.E.R.
(12-16-2011, 09:01 PM)Cracker Wrote: I have never tasted mutton or lamb in my life.

I never have either, nor veal, but I did unknowingly eat bull's balls once.

Cracker: I have never tasted mutton.

ick.
there is no similarity to lamb.
lamb is succulent, flavorful, nothing like other meats. and with garlic, sublime.

Lizzie Borden's family was on their 3rd straight day of mutton when the murders occurred. many have blamed the murders on the mutton. haha

Aww, they stole my pic back. Damn, that was funny and totally reminded me of LC. haha

Here is another:
[Image: 72d07579-7776-46b3-9d3d-60f550b140a8.jpg]