Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A general holiday menu question
OK, I have too much time on my hands, I am sure. But I am wondering something. Does anyone here know the exact correlation between the Holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas and green bean casserole? Why do people not make it for, say, Memorial day? Or just a general Sunday dinner?
For gosh sake, it is not like it is some strange, exotic recipe. You take some beans, dump some cream of mushroom soup over them and bake, right? I don't know..because I do not eat the shit anyway.
Stop trying to be something you are not! Come on! Get out of the closet and tell the world you are a scalloped potato person not a green beaner, at the end of the day it just doesn't matter.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Aw crap, Maggot found my deep dark secret.
We don't do green bean casserole for Christmas. It is Thanksgiving fare only.

Asparagus casserole for Christmas with the Old English cheese, almonds, and Ritz crackers. It is the only time I will buy/eat Ritz. Hate them otherwise.

ASPARAGUS CASSEROLE

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,188,145176-234204,00.html

1 12 c. Ritz cracker crumbs
1 stick butter
2 (#2) cans cut green asparagus
12 c. slivered almonds

SAUCE:

4 tbsp. butter
3 tsp. flour
1 12 c. milk
1 jar Old English cheese spread
12 tsp. salt

Melt butter; mix with crumbs, saving enough to sprinkle on top. Line casserole with layer of crumbs, asparagus, then almonds. Heat sauce and pour over layers. Sprinkle crumbs on top. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

I used to be a scalloped potato person. Now I am more or a steamed/roasted veggie person. I'm trying not to sink into middle age under my own weight.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Hey, Cracker, finally you are good for something..I was looking for that recipe. Thanks.
(12-23-2011, 05:27 PM)Maggot Wrote: Stop trying to be something you are not! Come on! Get out of the closet and tell the world you are a scalloped potato person not a green beaner, at the end of the day it just doesn't matter.

OMG...I'm a grean beaner AND a scalloped potato person at the same time. What the hell is going to happen to me??

(12-23-2011, 06:48 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote:
(12-23-2011, 05:27 PM)Maggot Wrote: Stop trying to be something you are not! Come on! Get out of the closet and tell the world you are a scalloped potato person not a green beaner, at the end of the day it just doesn't matter.

OMG...I'm a grean beaner AND a scalloped potato person at the same time. What the hell is going to happen to me??

Maybe fat in the middle with skinny legs?

(12-23-2011, 06:13 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Hey, Cracker, finally you are good for something..I was looking for that recipe. Thanks.

Go try that first dip recipe I posted (the cheese and jam one). It is fabulous.

Do you Northerners put mayo and cheese on canned pear halves? They do that down here and it grosses me tf out. Sometimes they even put a cherry on the top. Ever heard of that craziness?

[Image: Pear_Salad.jpg]
I've never seen it with lettuce, usually served without.

[Image: 001-590x442.jpg]
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
That asparagus recipe sounds yummy.

In my family, we always had turkey at Thanksgiving and ham (or beef) at Christmas. My dork husband always had turkey at both. Because he'd cry like a baby if I didn't do it, our Christmas dinner will be Thanksgiving dinner all over again. Stupid. I make a slightly different version of green bean casserole but I am making one.
Commando Cunt Queen
(12-23-2011, 07:40 PM)username Wrote: Because he'd cry like a baby if I didn't do it, our Christmas dinner will be Thanksgiving dinner all over again.

I'm sick of turkey for a few months. I won't even buy deli turkey for at least a month.

He's crazy for not wanting prime rib and LC's popovers.

I do not eat canned pears, but have seen them stuffed with cottage cheese and then the cherry on top

Smiley_emoticons_kotz
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Any good cheese ball recipes?
(12-23-2011, 09:30 PM)JsMom Wrote: Any good cheese ball recipes?

What kind of cheese? Smiley_emoticons_slash
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Chedder? Smiley_emoticons_smile NOT FUCKIN' HEAD CHEESE!!!
(12-23-2011, 07:35 PM)Cracker Wrote: Do you Northerners put mayo and cheese on canned pear halves? They do that down here and it grosses me tf out. Sometimes they even put a cherry on the top. Ever heard of that craziness?

Yuck! Thanks for the warning. This is the first time we are spending Christmas in the South. We are invited to a neighbors house for Christmas dinner. I will make sure I stay far away from the canned pears.

I find the differences in taste preferences interesting/amusing. We had Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house here in NC. While there was a turkey and dressing, which were really good, many of the sides were different. Who eats pinto beans and potato salad for Thanksgiving?
While I was searching for some cheese ball recipes. I found this...

CHOCOLATE CHIP CHEESE BALL
Ingredients

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
12 cup butter, softened
34 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
14 teaspoon vanilla extract
34 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
34 cup finely chopped pecans

Directions

In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in confectioners' sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Shape chilled cream cheese mixture into a ball. Wrap with plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Roll the cheese ball in finely chopped pecans before serving.

Link~
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-C...etail.aspx
Fatass, Don't eat that.