Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What do I do with a rabbit?
If you are looking for a punchline, you will not find it here. I have a rabbit in my fridge and have no clue what to do with it. My husband says I can cook it seasoned like I would do chicken.
Anyone here ever done rabbit? I just need a simple recipe, nothing too fancy. Thanks.
Hasenfeffer (Sour Rabbit Stew)

Ingredients
2 34 cups red wine vinegar
3 cups water
1 12 tablespoons white sugar
8 whole cloves
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pickling spice
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (2 12 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions
In a large pot, combine the water, white sugar, whole cloves, onion, celery, lemon, cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, pickling spice and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn off and allow to cool. Place the rabbit pieces into the mixture to marinate. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread flour out onto a parchment or aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flour is a light brown color.
Remove the rabbit from the marinade and pat dry. Strain the marinade, and discard the solids. Reserve the liquid for later.
Heat the oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat the chicken with the toasted flour. Place into the hot oil, and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan, and set aside. If there is oil left in the pan, sprinkle enough of the toasted flour over it to absorb the liquid.
In a jar with a lid, mix 12 cup of the marinade with 14 cup of the remaining toasted flour. Close the lid, and shake vigorously until well blended with no lumps. Heat the pan with the rabbit drippings over low heat. Gradually stir in the marinade mixture, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
Return the rabbit pieces to the pan. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, or until the meat is falling off of the bones. You may remove the bones prior to serving if desired.

[Image: d6e40a0b-0c7b-4edb-868f-b4052b74e38d.jpg]

[Image: funny-pictures-bunny-is-sad.jpg]

here, have some of my little squirrel friends too while you're at it. Crying-into-tissue21

[Image: article-2086571-0F71C09A00000578-731_468x424.jpg]

[Image: article-2086571-0F71BFE900000578-437_468x310.jpg]

It was a popular delicacy served up until the last century when it dropped off Britain’s menu.

But grey squirrel pie is currently enjoying a revival due to attempts to save its less aggressive red cousins from extinction.

Thousands of grey squirrels have been sold to restaurants, butchers and are on sale at farmer’s markets after being legally trapped and shot in woodland and rural areas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z1jUIGep36

I didn't mean to see that!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Oh crap...after seeing the crying bunnies, I cannot cook the damn thing. Thanks LC.
well how about a cute little pony instead?

[Image: 2980499617_5a736a92fe.jpg]

Give it a proper burial.
Commando Cunt Queen
cook it at 350 for 40 min salt pepper ....done
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
They served rabbit once in the chow hall and I literally gagged once I got a piece in my mouth. I don't even remember what it tasted like but the idea of a bunny wabbit skinned and cooked on my plate nauseated me. I'd probably be a vegetarian if I had to kill my own food.
If I had a dead rabbit in my possession I would probally cook it osso buco style.
(01-14-2012, 09:52 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Oh crap...after seeing the crying bunnies, I cannot cook the damn thing. Thanks LC.

the Easter Bunny will be good to you. and all the little woodland creatures.
have a nice chicken. hah

[Image: easter-bunnies-screensaver.jpg]

Is it wild or farm raised? Either way, your husband is right, you can cook it the way you do chicken. Most chicken recipes work for rabbit. If it is farm-raised, just roast it like you would a chicken of the same weight. Assuming it is only about 1 to 1 12 lbs that means about 40-50 minutes as Maggot said. A little salt, pepper and minced garlic. Roast on top of a "rack" made from some celery and/or carrots, so the bottom does not dry out.

Wild rabbit is better suited for stew, braising or cooking in a slow cooker/Crock Pot. For a crock pot stew, just cut into pieces and throw it in with some onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, (plus other root veggies like parsnips) and a little chicken broth (1/2 cup?) and cook on high for 1 12 or 2 hours or on low for 4 or 5 hours.
Harvest..it is storebought..frozen and wrapped.
(01-14-2012, 10:47 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Harvest..it is storebought..frozen and wrapped.

Thaw it first. hah I taught I thaw a rabbit.
Oh cripes. **facepalm** I NEVER would have thought to thaw it out.
(01-14-2012, 10:49 PM)Maggot Wrote:
(01-14-2012, 10:47 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Harvest..it is storebought..frozen and wrapped.

Thaw it first. hah I taught I thaw a rabbit.

Quote:Posted by QueenBee - Today 09:52 PM
Oh cripes. **facepalm** I NEVER would have thought to thaw it out.

Thanks for the laugh Maggot and QueenB! hah

So if it is store bought, defrost and cook like chicken. I still prefer to make a stew, but you need to chop it into serving sized portions, like you would a chicken. Sage, rosemary and thyme or "poultry seasoning" work well in terms of seasonings, just like they do with chicken. If you want to add parsley, to make it like the song, add fresh parsley at the end.
Rabbit is not bad, easier to raise than chickens and a lot less messy and smelly.
(01-14-2012, 11:07 PM)Maggot Wrote: Rabbit is not bad, easier to raise than chickens and a lot less messy and smelly.

But chickens give you eggs, so you don't need to kill them in order to get food from them.

(01-15-2012, 12:05 AM)Harvest Moon Wrote:
(01-14-2012, 11:07 PM)Maggot Wrote: Rabbit is not bad, easier to raise than chickens and a lot less messy and smelly.

But chickens give you eggs, so you don't need to kill them in order to get food from them.

Eventually chickens stop laying and then they are only good for stewed chicken surprise.

Rabbits pound for pound are the best source of high level protein you can get.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Dick: Rabbits pound for pound are the best source of high level protein you can get.

who says? is that a Dickfact? hah