Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How long can you tolerate silence?
Now I am not speaking of your husband/wife/BFF is not speaking to you silence. But sittng back with no TV, no radio, limited extraneous noise and just capturing it?
I am reading a novel right now where one of the sub themes is silence. Sitting down, in quite reflection and paying attention to the quiet. Listening, as it were, to your heart, your brain, or whatever inner voices need to speak with you. It basically involves clearing the mind and meditating.
Now I am sure that many will call this New Age Hooey, but think about it. In this day and age, is there ever complete silence around us? There always seems to be something going on to distract us from just contemplating life. People always feel the need to break the silence..like they are not comfortable with it.
My husband thinks I am nuts when I ask him if he would go on headphones to watch television, because I simply do not want to focus on it. I want to just sit and do nothing.
Back in the old days..when gas was actually less than a dollar a gallon, I would sometimes go and take long drives in the country if I needed to think things out.
I figured out a lot of stuff that way. Got lost a few times, but figured things out.
Sensory deprivation chambers are expensive, otherwise no matter where you go you hear other things.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I always have back groud noise on. The tv or radio. I even fall asleep to the tv. It's a very bad habit. But I listen to it as I drift off. In the summer though I like to have the windows open and listen to the night sounds as I fall asleep. And there is nothing better than listening to it rain at night. I find that very peaceful. I suppose I should try listening to the silence once in a while. I do like to read in the morning before the kids get up and it's quiet. But then again, the book is outside stimuli.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
You are right, dick. I get that. But I guess what I am asking is, how long can we tolerate life without all the incoming extra noise around is. Just turn off the TV, the radio, stuff a sock in your partner's mouth and just relax with your own thoughts.

I think so many of us are so used to having some sort of noise making things around us, that we simply cannot function if there is nothing. Think sitting on the back porch, in the country and all you hear are the damn crickets? When my niece was about 7 or 8, she came to spend a weekend with me. A couple hours after we went to bed, she came to my room, knocked on the door and said she could not sleep because it was too quiet. I had to turn on a fan, and the radio for her before she could sleep
I have a place in the mountains I go on a regular basis, I sit still and quiet, I hear nothing but those natural sounds that are in the peace of the place.

I can't live without those times.

I especially enjoy that time when there is snow falling it's exceptionally quiet then.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I rarely, and I mean RARELY, have silent moments. I always have the news on, or I'm reading but just quiet reflection...? Almost never. However, it's something that I would like to try to incorporate in to my day (starting, um, tomorrow). I think it's probably very beneficial but I'm just not accustomed to it.

I've taken a few yoga classes and I hate it if they try to incorporate meditation in to the class. Fuck that. I can't possibly be quiet with my thoughts in a roomful of people.
Commando Cunt Queen
I never have the TV on at home, as I've said, I hate it and never watch it and I don't have any music on either. This is mostly b/c I am spending time with my children and would prefer to do so without distractions, but even when they aren't there, I'm sitting in the silence. It's nice to just sit and figure shit out once in a while. I know it sounds dumb, but sometimes, washing dishes by hand or scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees allows me to really focus on, well, nothing. It's almost therapeutic.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
(01-24-2012, 03:23 PM)LuciferLynn Wrote: I never have the TV on at home, as I've said, I hate it and never watch it and I don't have any music on either. This is mostly b/c I am spending time with my children and would prefer to do so without distractions, but even when they aren't there, I'm sitting in the silence. It's nice to just sit and figure shit out once in a while. I know it sounds dumb, but sometimes, washing dishes by hand or scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees allows me to really focus on, well, nothing. It's almost therapeutic.

I love a woman who scrubs floors on their hands and knees.
John Adams

(01-24-2012, 03:39 PM)IMaDick Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 03:23 PM)LuciferLynn Wrote: I never have the TV on at home, as I've said, I hate it and never watch it and I don't have any music on either. This is mostly b/c I am spending time with my children and would prefer to do so without distractions, but even when they aren't there, I'm sitting in the silence. It's nice to just sit and figure shit out once in a while. I know it sounds dumb, but sometimes, washing dishes by hand or scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees allows me to really focus on, well, nothing. It's almost therapeutic.

I love a woman who scrubs floors on their hands and knees.

Now now Dick. Don't go getting all rocked up. I don't do it as a rule due to my back, but the mop I bought last year broke so last week, I had to scrub. It sure does look nice, I'll say that.

Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
I love silence and listen to it at every opportunity. Sometimes its unexpected and if you stop walking it is just there.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I can never decide if Maggot is more Walden or On Golden Pond.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(01-24-2012, 09:09 PM)Cracker Wrote: I can never decide if Maggot is more Walden or On Golden Pond.

well Golden Pond was filmed up there at Lake Winnipesaukee.
i feel the same. i need peace and quiet.

I'm kinda lucky in that if a ton of people start driving me nuts I can just about walk a mile and be nowhere.
I miss the solitude of growing up in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I have been totally alone for over 15 years. It makes you like people less.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Or appreciate them more. It's a coin toss.

Same here.

I work hard and pay extra just to be able to go to places where cell phone don't work, there is no internet and maybe 3 tv channels. I am not likely to tote a tv around anyways. Silence is a gift from God. I can go for days without speaking. It used to kill my x wife, she couldn't go 6 seconds without talking

I have silence every single day.

I couldn't live without music though, tv yes, music no.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I wish I had fucking time to sit and listen to the silence.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(01-25-2012, 06:51 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I have silence every single day.

I couldn't live without music though, tv yes, music no.

Agreed. I love music and listen to it at work and in the car and at home. Unless the tv is on at home that is. I find music to be very theraputic. It is also very motivating. Put on a good CD and get the housework done!
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies