Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Cladking~ mummies for you
Well, duh. If the stone had been placed in the eye of Horus the water would well up and he couldn't see.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]
[Image: damummyz.JPG]

full story:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/0...p=features

Two decorated covers of coffins that once contained mummies have been seized by Israeli authorities, authenticated and dated to thousands of years ago in ancient Egypt -- highlighting a seemingly vast black market for mummies.

Inspectors of the Unit for Prevention of Antiquities Robbery found the artifacts while checking shops in a marketplace in the Old City of Jerusalem. The inspectors confiscated the items under suspicion of being stolen property.

The ancient covers are made of wood and adorned with "breathtaking decorations and paintings of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics," says the Israel Antiquities Authority.

Maybe they used very cold very salty water....or salty, silty highly viscous mud. With fluid dynamics in mind. Maybe some form of continuum mechanics.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
clad, Why did the ancients spend so much time building big things? Too much time on their hands? Way to harness the energy of the masses so they didn't decide servitude is bullshit? Immortality?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(04-04-2012, 12:18 PM)Cracker Wrote: clad, Why did the ancients spend so much time building big things? Too much time on their hands? Way to harness the energy of the masses so they didn't decide servitude is bullshit? Immortality?

I believe it was none of the above.

First off these things aren't as big as they look. When you contemplate tens of thousands of men dragging millions of stones up ramps then they are enormous but if you picture men sipping seltzer water while sitting in the shade and operating the equipment they become much smaller. It required only a djed operator, shm-sceptre installed, ba-sceptre operator, ferryman, and four signalmen to operate the equipment. Of course it also required as many as 30 loaders, 50 unloaders, and a couple hundred masons to maintain the work shedule. Then you'd need as many as 2000 quarryman and another 25 masons to cut stone. Throw in a few dozen laborers and the various overseers and you have enough people to completely fill the workmen's village to the brim. There were, of course, other jobs required but most of these were not on site. Supplies arrived from the river.

People need to get rid of the nonsense that thousands and thousands of workers toiled to build ramps and drag stones up them. The number of people known to be on site wouldn't even be enough to fetch water for such an army. In essense they had water high up in the air and let it build the pyramid. It's only big by human standards but by the standards of the Gods who built it it's almost tiny.

They did have a few months during the summer when manypeople were displaced because the valley was flooded. This is when the water sprayed from the "Mouth of Caves" and building could proceed. They built because they could and because it was an extension of their world into the heavens. "Ma'at" (balance) was the guiding principle and this applied to both the means to lift the stones but also to the the extension of the natural "Mound of Creation" into heaven. Ma'at applied to the ability of the dead king to continue to intercede in the peoples' behalf in heaven.

These structures also had numerous practical benefits. Besides providing water they also could grow crops during the peak growing season while their other arable land was under water. They grew very important trade crops on "Herb Hill". These were sites for laundry and for sawing stone. The Great Pyramid was a clock and Giza was a calandar. There might well be other usages but until orthodoxy gets its head out of the sand we might never know.

I don't believe any longer that the ancients lived like their more modern counterparts. Once the language became confused things simply went downhill. But even in later times most Egyptians didn't really live in abject servitude. Conditions tended to be harsher and the tax had to be paid but people had the same rights. Before 2000 BC many people could live well and did.
I never imagined anything a pope would say might resonate with me.

"VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Benedict XVI, carrying a tall, lit candle, ushered in Christianity's most joyous celebration with an Easter vigil service Saturday night, but voiced fears that mankind is groping in darkness, unable to distinguish good from evil.

Easter for Christians commemorates Christ's triumph over death with his resurrection following his crucifixion.

"Life is stronger than death. Good is stronger than evil. Love is stronger than hate. Truth is stronger than lies," Benedict, wearing white robes in a symbol of new life, told the faithful in a packed St. Peter's Basilica.

Still, Benedict worried in his homily: "The darkness that poses a real threat to mankind, after all, is the fact that he can see and investigate tangible material things, but cannot see where the world is going or whence it comes, where our own life is going, what is good and what is evil."

"The darkness enshrouding God and obscuring values is the real threat to our existence and to the world in general," the pope said.

"If God and moral values, the difference between good and evil, remain in darkness, then all other 'lights,' that put such incredible technical feats within our reach, are not only progress but also dangers that put us and the world at risk," Benedict added.
Benedict, who has made protection of the environment a theme of his papacy, made a reference to urban pollution in his homily. "Today we can illuminate our cities so brightly that the stars in the sky are no longer visible," he said. "Is this not an image of the problems caused by our version of enlightenment?"

"With regard to material things, our knowledge and our technical accomplishments are legion, but what reaches beyond, the things of God and the question of good, we can no longer identify," Benedict added, saying that faith was the "true enlightenment.""

I sometimes worry that I should let the dead stay buried and let everyone think they're geniuses and our ancestors were silly bumpkins. Hell, there's one woman who thinks there's a covenant between man and God to make this stay buried and I'm the anti-christ. (In reality the anti-christ is probably an attorney in AZ).

It does seem to me that the truth is the light. It's not a light that obscures the stars but a light that shows the creation of the Gods. It illuminates the face of the Gods and cheers the face of men. The light isn't to discourage highwaymen but to encourage people and to encourage them to do the right thing and pursue human objectives while living in balance with nature, themselves, and each other.

The forces of darkness are stronger than ever because many of the people who have been entrusted with our future no longer have everyone's best interests at heart but only their own. False lights and bright paint are everywhere to trap the unwary and lead anyone astray.

I pray that Pope Benedict XVI is correct on all counts. I pray that he still feels this way no matter what happens or what gets resurrected.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-holds-easter-...34985.html
[Image: mummy.jpg]

ST. LOUIS – A St. Louis museum can keep hold of a 3,200-year-old mummy's mask, a federal judge has ruled, saying the U.S. government failed to prove that the Egyptian relic was ever stolen.

Prosecutors said the funeral mask of Lady Ka-Nefer-Nefer went missing from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo about 40 years ago and that it should be returned to its country of origin. The St. Louis Art Museum said it researched the provenance of the mask and legitimately purchased it in 1998 from a New York art dealer.

U.S. District Judge Henry Autry in St. Louis sided with the museum.

The U.S. government "does not provide a factual statement of theft, smuggling or clandestine importation," Autry wrote in the March 31 ruling.

'We don't have any interest in possessing a stolen object.'
- David Linenbroker, St. Louis Art Museum attorney

"The Government cannot simply rest on its laurels and believe that it can initiate a civil forfeiture proceeding on the basis of one bold assertion that because something went missing from one party in 1973 and turned up with another party in 1998, it was therefore stolen and/or imported or exported illegally," the judge wrote.

A message left with Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities was not returned.

The 20-inch-long funeral mask of painted and gilded plaster-coated linen over wood with inlaid glass eyes was excavated from one of the Saqqara pyramids, about 16 miles south of Cairo, in 1952.

Ka-Nefer-Nefer was a noblewoman who lived from 1295 BC to 1186 BC.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/0...z1rTgw6RKT

Lady Cop,
...Since it was legitimately purchased in 1998 from a New York art dealer, wouldn't the 7 year statute of limitations begin ticking in 1998 and any claims of theft be void after 2005? I think they would have had to make a claim within the legal time limit anyway.
(04-08-2012, 03:56 PM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: Lady Cop,
...Since it was legitimately purchased in 1998 from a New York art dealer, wouldn't the 7 year statute of limitations begin ticking in 1998 and any claims of theft be void after 2005? I think they would have had to make a claim within the legal time limit anyway.

There is a statute of limitations which would hold the original thief or anyone knowingly trading in stolen property blameless after 7 years however title never passes on stolen property. If the government produces evidence that the item was stolen then it would be returned to its rightful owners but in the absence of such evidence it's not known it wasn't traded or sold by the museum.

The government has been walking all over US citizens for years now. It's about time they are held to some minimum standard rather than having kangaroo courts that just rubber stamp such confiscations.
Very Interesting...Thanks cladking
Ok Clad, explain THIS!

[Image: 384897_f520.jpg]

[Image: cool-grey-alien.gif]

Ears.

Nope. Plant.
[Image: alien1.gif]
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Cracker just HAD to ruin my fun. mean bitch. 37

i think the plant disguises the secret hidden message about the aliens. Smiley_emoticons_razz
Tin+foil+hat+smiley

[Image: Alien002.gif]

Hahaha. Sorry, sweets.
I suppose he's making an offerring of a goose.

This looks like later symbolism and I just don't get the later times real well but the Egyptologists do.

I wouldn't discount alien involvement. There's either that or a supernatural power making people believe in ramps. Awink
What are you going to do if they suddenly accept your ideas, clad?
(04-13-2012, 08:32 PM)Cracker Wrote: What are you going to do if they suddenly accept your ideas, clad?

Change 'em.

If there's one thing I've learned it's that Egyptology is always wrong.
The last missing pages from a supposedly 'magical' Book of the Dead from an Egyptian priest, Amenhotep, have been found after a century-long search - in a museum in Queensland.

British Museum Egyptologist Dr John Taylor said he was 'floored' by the discovery of the 100 fragments.

It's the end of a worldwide search by archaeologists for the papyrus scroll - which supposedly contains spells to guide spirits into the afterlife.

---->
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...z1sbr6p9Kf

[Image: article-0-12AE8629000005DC-279_634x349.jpg]

[Image: article-2132755-12B0C17E000005DC-897_634x737.jpg]

I want to hear more about the fig tree, clad.
(04-20-2012, 03:20 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: The last missing pages from a supposedly 'magical' Book of the Dead from an Egyptian priest, Amenhotep, have been found after a century-long search - in a museum in Queensland.

British Museum Egyptologist Dr John Taylor said he was 'floored' by the discovery of the 100 fragments.

It's the end of a worldwide search by archaeologists for the papyrus scroll - which supposedly contains spells to guide spirits into the afterlife.

The "book of the dead" exists in numerous copies and, I believe, a few of them are complete. This story is really misleading.