Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
St. Paddy's dinner
whether you're Irish, or only Irish on March 17, you may like some traditional St. Pat's food.
the New England Boiled Dinner is traditional up here all winter, but especially for St. Paddy.

[Image: wzfgbsbf-1296847204.jpg]

Yield: 8 servings
New England Boiled Dinner/Corned Beef and Cabbage
An entire meal from one pot.

4 pounds corned beef
15 peppercorns
8 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
8 small beets
2 turnips, cut into pieces
16 small new potatoes, peeled
16 baby carrots
8 small white onions
1 head cabbage, cut into 8 wedge-shaped pieces
Cover beef with water and simmer 10 minutes, covered, in a large kettle. Skim off and discard the residue that forms on top of water. Add peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 3 hours or until meat is tender. Put beets in separate pan with a little water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Add turnips, potatoes, carrots, and onions to kettle with meat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes longer. Add cabbage and cook, covered, 15 minutes more. Remove meat, cut into serving pieces, and place on platter surrounded with well-drained vegetables.

[Image: cornbeefcabbageingredients1x.jpg]

[Image: picAn32Ri.jpg]

Irish oatmeal scones

Irish steel cut oats are the BEST!

Yield: 8 scones

12 cup currants
water to cover
1-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
14 teaspoon salt
14 cup sugar
12 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter
1 cup oatmeal
13 cup buttermilk
melted butter and coarse-grained sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine currants and water in Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave to boiling point, cover, and let stand.

Combine first 5 dry ingredients in large mixing bowl or Cuisinart bowl. Cut in butter with pastry knife, or pulse in Cuisinart until it resembles coarse meal. Drain currants, then add to mixture with oatmeal. Stir in buttermilk until dough is barely moistened.

Turn dough onto floured board and knead 6 to 8 times. Roll or pat into a circle, place on ungreased baking sheet, and score into 8 wedges. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse-grained sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes.
This recipe can be doubled and divided into 3 circles with 6 wedges each. Doubled it yields about 30 two-inch round scones.

[Image: oatmeal+scones+yum.jpg]

a little more work/advanced. i've never made this, but i'm going to give it a try. i may use puff pastry. regular pie crust is good too of course.

Beef, Mushroom, and Guinness Pie

Preparation Time: 40 minutes

Start to Finish Time: 120 minutes

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

3 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
6 tablespoons oil, divided
7 shallots, sliced thin
13 cup flour
2 cups Guinness (or other stout, ale, or dark beer) JUST BUY SOME BOTTLES FOR THE COOK 'Sláinte!'

2 cups beef stock
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2-1/4 cups halved baby carrots
12 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed briefly under cold water
3 large portobello mushroom caps, chopped medium
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried)
1-1/2 cups frozen small green peas

Piecrust to cover 13x9-inch pan

Egg wash: 1 whole egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Trim excess fat from beef. Put cubed beef in a bowl and toss with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add half the cubed meat and sear until browned on all sides; remove with slotted spoon and place in a separate bowl. Add rest of oil to Dutch oven and repeat steps with second batch of meat.

Turn heat down to medium; add shallots to pan and cook until golden. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, then add Guinness, stock, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Cook 1 minute, then return meat to pan along with carrots and porcini mushrooms. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.

Stir in portobello mushrooms, thyme, and peas; cook 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Pour into baking dish and let cool in refrigerator. When filling has cooled slightly, roll out crust. Lay crust over filling, folding edges over as needed. Brush crust generously with egg wash, cut steam vents, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, until crust is golden brown.

[Image: Beef_Guinness_Pie_4.jpg]

[Image: polls_guinness_draft_2613_952912_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg]

'Sláinte!'

Saint Patrick was a gentleman,
Who through strategy and stealth,
Drove all the snakes from Ireland,
Here’s a toasting to his health.
But not too many toastings
Lest you lose yourself and then
Forget the good Saint Patrick
And see all those snakes again.

'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I make New England boiled dinner even when it's not St. Patrick's day, I like to make corned beef hash out of the leftovers. I cut the boiled potatoes in little cubes, chop the corned beef in the food processor, shape into patties and allow to get cold in the fridge(they won't fry up well if they're not cold) and then fry untill very crispy. Serve with poached eggs and you have a delicious artery clogging breakfast.
home-made corned beef hash and eggs sounds delicious!
i usually just have corned beef sandwiches on rye, but i need to try the hash. yum~

[Image: large_Corned%20Beef%20Hash%20and%20Eggs.jpg]

(03-07-2012, 07:43 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: whether you're Irish, or only Irish on March 17, you may like some traditional St. Pat's food.
the New England Boiled Dinner is traditional up here all winter, but especially for St. Paddy.

[Image: wzfgbsbf-1296847204.jpg]

Yield: 8 servings
New England Boiled Dinner/Corned Beef and Cabbage
An entire meal from one pot.

4 pounds corned beef
15 peppercorns
8 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
8 small beets
2 turnips, cut into pieces
16 small new potatoes, peeled
16 baby carrots
8 small white onions
1 head cabbage, cut into 8 wedge-shaped pieces
Cover beef with water and simmer 10 minutes, covered, in a large kettle. Skim off and discard the residue that forms on top of water. Add peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 3 hours or until meat is tender. Put beets in separate pan with a little water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Add turnips, potatoes, carrots, and onions to kettle with meat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes longer. Add cabbage and cook, covered, 15 minutes more. Remove meat, cut into serving pieces, and place on platter surrounded with well-drained vegetables.

[Image: cornbeefcabbageingredients1x.jpg]

[Image: picAn32Ri.jpg]

My mother in law makes this and it rocks. I also liked your green text!
86 112
EW.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

My stomach is growling.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
from Yankee magazine...get out Duchess, it's little lambykins. 11

[Image: image_12547.jpg]

Irish Lamb Stew

Yield: Serves 6-8

Mint jelly and hot biscuits are a must with this traditional New England dish.

3-pound lamb shoulder
4 cups cold water
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
Flour for dredging
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup beef stock
2 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
3 to 4 onions, sliced
1 to 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and cut into
1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
Trim meat from bones, cube, and set aside. Combine bones, water, onions, and celery in Dutch oven. Simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid. Discard bones and vegetables. Cool and skim fat from top of liquid. Dredge meat in flour. Melt butter in frying pan and brown meat on all sides. Place in Dutch oven, add stock, reserved liquid, parsley, and bay leaf. Simmer gently, partially covered, 1 hour. Remove bay leaf and parsley. Add additional onions, potatoes, and carrots and cook, partially covered, 30 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.

[Image: tender_lamb_stew.jpg]

yummy with real butter!
Irish Soda Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
14 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
12 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
1 cup regular or golden raisins (or sultanas)
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a standing mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter, caraway seeds (if desired), and raisins. Combine just until incorporated. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to dough and mix just until incorporated.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and fold it over onto itself two or three times, shaping it into a round, 8-inch loaf. Transfer loaf to a baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat (a nonstick silicone baking mat). Score an "X" on the top of the dough. Bake 45 minutes, until well-browned and a toothpick plunged into the center emerges clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Serve with butter and your favorite jam or preserves.

[Image: irish-soda-bread-590.jpg]

Mine too! I just stole a Thin mint from my skinny ass boss. Smiley_emoticons_razz
I had to go out and buy corned beef and cabbage, I couldn't wait. The cashier told me that I should wait because it's going on sale tomorrow, but I don't care. I have to have it now. I won't mind having it again on St. Paddy's.
(03-07-2012, 04:03 PM)ramseycat Wrote: EW.

You came in here just to say that? Shut up and go eat a mini rice cake, you goddamn dullard.

hahaha ...sorry Sally!

my store will have tons of them on sale starting friday, and i always buy a few. one just for the sandwiches. they won't go bad in the cryovac.

enjoy!

(03-07-2012, 09:12 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: home-made corned beef hash and eggs sounds delicious!
i usually just have corned beef sandwiches on rye, but i need to try the hash. yum~

[Image: large_Corned%20Beef%20Hash%20and%20Eggs.jpg]

Damn, now you got me. Can I use deli corned beef for this?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
i don't know Cracker, i suppose so, but that would be an awfully expensive corned beef hash, and i don't know how processed the deli stuff might be. i'd used good canned corned beef hash before that.

[Image: 2054-Alpo-Classic-Chunky-with--1.jpg][Image: 6a00d8341c09b253ef0120a4fe2260970b-320wi]

then buy a whole real corned beef in a couple days.

[Image: corned_beef.jpg]

We eat that canned stuff on the right for breakfast when we stay at the shrimp camp. Best hangover cure ever...
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
The canned stuff isn't too bad, but that has to be cold too. If you take it out of the can room temp it doesn't fry up as well.
I like it when I'm not the only white trash POS.
My plane will be landing at 2:21pm in sunny St Thomas. I'll be eating fresh lobstah on St Pattys day.
(03-07-2012, 11:00 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: My plane will be landing at 2:21pm in sunny St Thomas. I'll be eating fresh lobstah on St Pattys day.

That's fucking awesome. But I suspect the natives probably don't throw a big parade...

Savannah used to have a great St. Patty's party until the black people started coming. Now you will get knifed and robbed while you drink your green beer.

You don't see my ass eating ribs or buying shoes at the mall on MLK. I know that is their day.