Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
*Feliz Cinco De Mayo*ole!*
have some favorite ideas for Mexican food or celebrations?
i know we have some experts here like Dickie, how about some suggestions? i've never cooked mexican food except Americanized tacos for my kids.

here is a link to some recipes:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/05/01/cinc...pt=hp_bn10

[Image: cinco_de_mayo-1796.gif]
[Image: cincodemayo2.gif]

includes--->

Five misconceptions about Mexican cuisine

Five offbeat/unique taco fillings

Don't get too schmancy with your margarita

Five refreshing tequila cocktails to sip this summer

Five things you should look for in a great tequila

Cinco ways to spice up your Cinco de Mayo fiesta

Five myths about Mexican food

Out of the fryer and into the salsa bowl

The inside scoop on homemade tortilla chips

iReport: Street food of Mexico

A long-simmering rivalry in Los Angeles: mole

Eva Longoria's guacamole

[Image: 120501023624-plate-of-tacos-story-top.jpg]

Dancing in the streets, drinks and Chili rellenos for the weekend.

I made a pretty big Brisket also it will go in the oven when I get up friday morning and cook all day until I get home friday night.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I made a pretty big Brisket

how do you do it? what makes it Mexican-style?
what brand tequila do you buy?

[Image: margarita.jpg]

LC, I grew up on a Mexican food. We still do tamales, enchiladas, tacos and chili rellenos on most holidays instead of the traditional American foods. If you make some good carnitas filling, you can do a lot with it. My favorite is simple and pretty healthy: warmed corn tortilla tacos with a squeeze of lime, very hot tomatillo sauce, some fresh cilantro, a bit of very sharp shredded cheddar, and two full jalapenos (I like very spicy food). You can also put the carnitas in warmed flour tortillas with beans and cheese and make awesome burritos or enchiladas. Really versatile. All of these dishes go great with sour cream and guacamole (if you like it) and any kind of alcohol. I prefer a margarita. Simple margarita recipe below too.

Carnitas Filling (6-8 servings)
Ingredients
1 pound boneless pork shoulder
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, cut into 4 wedges
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
14 teaspoon cumin
14 teaspoon dried oregano
14 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf

Directions
1. Place pork, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, and tomato in a saucepan. Season with chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until pork is tender, about two hours. Cool and shred.

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4722175345034549&id=295...26da38c371]

Patron On-the-Rocks Margarita
(I like blended ones too, but they give me brain freeze).
1 12 ounces patron silver tequila
1 ounce patron citronge liqueur
12 lime, juice of
12 lemon, juice of
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake til chilled, then pour over ice.

I'll switch over to Pacifico beer after one margarita if I'm celebrating. Tequila is the only thing that completely erases my mellow and makes me way too feisty; it turns me into this if overly consumed (you would definitely wanna taze me):

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4862238536369049&id=b61...e-mayo.gif]
Carne adovada.

Nuff said
(05-03-2012, 08:52 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Carne adovada.

Nuff said

Good stuff, indeed! Takes some prep - have never made it myself.
Hairy: Patron On-the-Rocks Margarita...that sounds excellent! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

and i had to google Carne adovada which also sounds delicious!

i'm a good cook who never tried Mexican food.

ONCE i went to a bad Mexican restaurant that made me think i didn't like the cuisine. Smiley_emoticons_kotz i know that's not reasonable and there are great dishes out there.

(05-03-2012, 08:59 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-03-2012, 08:52 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Carne adovada.

Nuff said

Good stuff, indeed! Takes some prep - have never made it myself.

Oh goddamn my favorite pork dish.
(05-03-2012, 09:01 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: Hairy: Patron On-the-Rocks Margarita...that sounds excellent! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

and i had to google Carne adovada which also sounds delicious!

i'm a good cook who never tried Mexican food.

ONCE i went to a bad Mexican restaurant that made me think i didn't like the cuisine. Smiley_emoticons_kotz i know that's not reasonable and there are great dishes out there.

It's hard not to like Mexican cuisine - so diverse, something for everyone. Yummy stuff. But, if you get some bad Mexican food at a restaurant, the results can turn you off for a while - completely understandable. Hope you give it a try at home; safe and delicious.

Ma is right - carne adovada is excellent (it's a cured meat dish). Maybe he or Dick has a recipe that they can post. I live alone, so I don't typically make foods that are meant to feed a lot of people or take a lot of prep, but occasionally I have the backyard party...
The only Mexican I'd like to eat is Salma Hayek.
Ingredients

2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons New Mexico red chile powder
2 12 cups warm water
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 12 teaspoons dried oregano
13 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt
3 pounds cubed pork stew meat

Directions

In a skillet or frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in flour and brown until light golden brown. Blend in chile powder. Slowly add water, stirring until lumps are removed. Add garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Place pork in a large baking pan or casserole pan. When chile mixture has cooled, add it to pork and mix until pork is covered with chile. Marinate pork for at least 12 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Bake pork in preheated oven for at least 4 12 hours, or until meat is well cooked, tender and falls apart.
(05-03-2012, 09:21 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: The only Mexican I'd like to eat is Salma Hayek.

Sign_pervert

hah
(05-03-2012, 09:21 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: The only Mexican I'd like to eat is Salma Hayek.

Hahaha!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Ew, then you'd be swapping DNA with whatshisname....AntoniofuckingBanderas.
(05-03-2012, 09:29 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Ew, then you'd be swapping DNA with whatshisname....AntoniofuckingBanderas.

Looks like Ma is another buzzkiller, a la, ImaDick.

Way to ruin the ride, man!
(05-03-2012, 09:35 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(05-03-2012, 09:29 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Ew, then you'd be swapping DNA with whatshisname....AntoniofuckingBanderas.

Looks like Ma is another buzzkiller, a la, ImaDick.

Way to ruin the ride, man!

Don't let anyone ruin your ride, MS. Just kick back and let that wild imagination of yours kick into gear again...

Oh, and throw some Dan Fogelberg on the turn-table too; that'll definitely bring back the buzz. 2hiding
[Image: Salma-Hayek-Hot-Wallpapers-4.jpg]
[Image: Salma-Hayek-Sexy-Celebrities-Wallpapers.jpg]
Ma, that ^^^^^ hit the spot.

Nicely done!
I love the movie "From Dusk til Dawn". The scene with Selma doing the snake dance is killer; she's definitely a beautiful woman and venemous in that film...

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4850066594923268&id=c25...2645a4.jpg]

Lots of delicious things from Mexico, for sure.