Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Obama "supports" gay marriage...
(05-10-2012, 03:43 PM)LuciferLynn Wrote: Be gay all day, I don't give a fuck.

But at night, do it right! hah
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(05-10-2012, 02:27 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 02:21 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: It wasn't about sexual relations, it was about equal rights for all people under the law.

I'm hung up on what is fair. That's very important to me & plays a role in many things not just this particular circumstance.

The civil union law was birthed in the concept of fairness and equal protection under the law, not defined by whether or not the relationship was sexual.

It was SPECIFIC in this circumstance and is a template for this function. You can be gay and share a debt, but can't get married?

It's bullshit. A contract between two people is a contract. The state has no right to discern the morality thereof.
(05-10-2012, 11:39 AM)IMaDick Wrote: Do you think all politicians are smart? make only good choices? have a crew of people that they call advisors that are smart? make good recommendations?
It's a good bet the ones who get elected President do.

Quote:Politics is all about choices good or bad, one political move could be good or bad, Obama thinks his shit don't stink and that he can say anything,do anything and then just forget about it later, His first campaign was full of this very same type of thing.
Once again, the fact that he supposedly did these things and then got elected either means that he CAN in fact say and do what he wants with impunity, or your entire line of reasoning is flawed and he didn't in fact make terrible blunders then or now. And George Bush's "mission accomplished" banner would seem to reinforce the idea that a sitting president can make some pretty major idiot moves and still get by.

Quote:Only difference is this time He won't be the first black man who has a shot at being Presidnt He will be the first black President with his foot in his mouth.
Nice word choices there. Expect a call from secret service or the CIA.

Quote:He made a very large political blunder His skin color has nothing to do with it, The vote will reflect the political damage this time around.
This is what is under debate. Large blunder, savvy political move, or risky but heartfelt moment of truth/legacy building? I suspect it's a combination of things, but Obama's no fool, either personally or politically. He knows his legacy will turn on one or two major points in history. He has the chance for a greater form of immortality than just reelection, but in order to do that he has to make grand and risky gestures. Is he destined to be the president who presided over the crash of the world economy, or the guy who championed gay rights? Guess we'll see.

I just like a good political show, and this is shaping up to be a barn burner...
Besides, the "morality and sanctity" of marriage were pretty well fucked by folks like the Bakkers and Kardasshians and Edwards' long before this. I'm sure at least one comedian or pundit has pointed that out...
Obama wouldn't have made the statement about supporting gay marriage until closer to the election had Biden not announced his "comfort" with it on Meet the Press, imo. It pushed Obama from his official stance that his position on the issue was "evolving" into a position where he needed to promote the image of solidarity within his administration.

In any event, I think it will have a moderate positive impact on his election. Current gallop polls show that 50% of US citizens support gay marriage, though we see clearly that getting laws passed in favor of it on a state-wide level is difficult and slow moving. Imo, Obama will gain some younger voters and may lose some black conservative voters. However, aside from the gay community itself, I don't believe that the votership considers the issue nearly as important as the economy so the impact will be minimal. JMO.

The positive impact (imo) that Obama is reaping as a result of the announcement is celebrity support and visibility. He attended a fundraiser hosted by George Clooney the same day he made his announcement; CNN reported it raked in $15 million. Ricki Martin is also getting involved; the Latino vote is big and Martin's influential with young people in that community. While I personally care less than zero about the poli-celebrities and the Hollywood factor, I do think it's an advantage in attracting young voters and raising a candidate's "cool" factor and "likeability". Many people are easily influenced, especially those who are undecided and just need to be tipped to one side, imo. The Hollywood factor did wonders for Bill Clinton and I think helped Obama get elected the first time out as well. It's an advantage.
(05-10-2012, 03:32 PM)blueberryhill Wrote: Dickie Poo,
This is not about the "bedroom"~~~~it is about equal rights!

I didn't say it was and you won't find that in my posts.

What the fuck is wrong with you that you can't read and understand what you read?

I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks or does, I just said that Marriage in my house will always be between a man and woman, that's what marriage is.

I have told many of the genetically defective to just go get a marriage license and get married but don't ask me to recognise you as a minority, stop trying to be a minority and stop fucking dressing like an idiot, everyone knows lime green is out this year.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(05-10-2012, 09:05 PM)Donovan Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 11:39 AM)IMaDick Wrote: Do you think all politicians are smart? make only good choices? have a crew of people that they call advisors that are smart? make good recommendations?
It's a good bet the ones who get elected President do.

Quote:Politics is all about choices good or bad, one political move could be good or bad, Obama thinks his shit don't stink and that he can say anything,do anything and then just forget about it later, His first campaign was full of this very same type of thing.
Once again, the fact that he supposedly did these things and then got elected either means that he CAN in fact say and do what he wants with impunity, or your entire line of reasoning is flawed and he didn't in fact make terrible blunders then or now. And George Bush's "mission accomplished" banner would seem to reinforce the idea that a sitting president can make some pretty major idiot moves and still get by.

Quote:Only difference is this time He won't be the first black man who has a shot at being Presidnt He will be the first black President with his foot in his mouth.

Quote:He made a very large political blunder His skin color has nothing to do with it, The vote will reflect the political damage this time around.
This is what is under debate. Large blunder, savvy political move, or risky but heartfelt moment of truth/legacy building? I suspect it's a combination of things, but Obama's no fool, either personally or politically. He knows his legacy will turn on one or two major points in history. He has the chance for a greater form of immortality than just reelection, but in order to do that he has to make grand and risky gestures. Is he destined to be the president who presided over the crash of the world economy, or the guy who championed gay rights? Guess we'll see.

I just like a good political show, and this is shaping up to be a barn burner...

if it's ok with you I won't hold my breath waiting for the Secret service or the cia to come visit, I think they know that the President is a Black man.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(05-11-2012, 01:56 AM)IMaDick Wrote: stop trying to be a minority and stop fucking dressing like an idiot, everyone knows lime green is out this year.

You're so fashion forward, honey. Smiley_emoticons_wink
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(05-11-2012, 02:01 AM)IMaDick Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 09:05 PM)Donovan Wrote:

if it's ok with you I won't hold my breath waiting for the Secret service or the cia to come visit, I think they know that the President is a Black man.

hah
So that's the only point you were able to counter? That the president is black? Good argument, dude. I concede the blackness of the president if you concede that creating a sentence with the words "black president" and "shot at" on an internet forum probably not your best idea ever. Like I said...shhhhhhh.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(05-11-2012, 10:27 AM)Donovan Wrote: So that's the only point you were able to counter? That the president is black? Good argument, dude. I concede the blackness of the president if you concede that creating a sentence with the words "black president" and "shot at" on an internet forum probably not your best idea ever. Like I said...shhhhhhh.

The problem you have is sentence construction, it was a complete sentence.

If you want to know whose sentence ranks up there on the meter it is your above which uses the words independently.

You see this is why I think you're a retard.
John Adams

Wordsniffer programs don't distinguish, dumbass. And you still haven't successfully defended a single idiotic take on the subject at hand. How would you like me to respond to the blistering well-considered argument "I think you're a retard "? With the equally clever "I know you are but what am I"? Or would you prefer the classic elegance of "I'm rubber and you're glue "? Maybe just the simple "I'm tellin!"
So many options ...
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
Don't take any shit from him Donovan hit-em over the head with your purse.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
"What few people outside of Obama’s inner circle of six or seven close aides knew at the time was that the president had, in fact, finished that evolution months earlier and was waiting for a suitable opportunity to inform the public of his views".

So I take it Biden isn't one of the Presidents close aides?

Anyone who doesn't recognise spin from the oval office is an idiot.
John Adams

(05-11-2012, 10:44 AM)Donovan Wrote: Wordsniffer programs don't distinguish, dumbass. And you still haven't successfully defended a single idiotic take on the subject at hand. How would you like me to respond to the blistering well-considered argument "I think you're a retard "? With the equally clever "I know you are but what am I"? Or would you prefer the classic elegance of "I'm rubber and you're glue "? Maybe just the simple "I'm tellin!"
So many options ...

Obviously neither do morons since you're having such a heat flash over my sentence.

Once again it was a complete sentence.

It wasn't just 2 words like yours was.

Don't worry we like you here on Mock so we will send you a care package of KY jelly and breath mints.
John Adams

Barry did this for a reason. I believe it was to get Hollywood money for his election campaign. Most of them are a bit gay or jump the fence every other weekend anyways and ARE a bit out there ya know, if nobody has noticed yet.
(05-11-2012, 11:22 AM)Maggot Wrote: Barry did this for a reason. I believe it was to get Hollywood money for his election campaign. Most of them are a bit gay or jump the fence every other weekend anyways and ARE a bit out there ya know, if nobody has noticed yet.

Are you accusing him of using gay marriage as a political tool?

You're in for it now,there are people here who just know he was telling the truth.
John Adams

(05-11-2012, 11:02 AM)IMaDick Wrote: "What few people outside of Obama’s inner circle of six or seven close aides knew at the time was that the president had, in fact, finished that evolution months earlier and was waiting for a suitable opportunity to inform the public of his views".

So I take it Biden isn't one of the Presidents close aides?

Anyone who doesn't recognise spin from the oval office is an idiot.

I think Biden fucked Obama unintenionally and I agree about the spinning (in so far as the disconnect between the Pres and VP in terms of timing/strategy). I think Obama probably would have waited for a few more polls on specifics related to gay marriage after the NC Amendment 1 ban passed, and waited to see how far Romney would go in support of Civil Unions before he went all the way with a public commitment to equal marriage rights for gay couples.

The debates are going to be interesting, imo...
Every action Barry has done since becoming president has had some strings attached that lead right back to him. Its either for political gain, money, business leverage or ego stroking. The good of the country is a pesky little voice in the back of his ear that to him is like a bee to be swatted away. Yet it comes back every day.
(05-11-2012, 11:33 AM)Maggot Wrote: Every action Barry has done since becoming president has had some strings attached that lead right back to him. Its either for political gain, money, business leverage or ego stroking. The good of the country is a pesky little voice in the back of his ear that to him is like a bee to be swatted away. Yet it comes back every day.

I've thought the same about every president over the last 20 years. Don't know if it's because politics seem so much more like entertainment and it's all a "show", or if I've gotten wiser, or if I'm just jaded. Maybe a combination. I think the only candidate who is hard core straight up and would likely act almost solely for what he considers the "good of the country" is Ron Paul. Unfortunately for him, most voters don't agree with his level of fundamentalism and don't think he would be good for the country, so he's not got a chance in hell. All JMO...