Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
they stiff us at the supermarkets
it's nothing new, i just get so annoyed! 52

first, WATCH THOSE SCANNERS! i catch mistakes all the time, nomatter how good the supermarket. one time it was a $24. error in their favor! not just small change here and there. and it's every time i shop.

most recent...i have bought 5 lb. bags of sugar for years and years. suddenly they are 4 lbs! check it out. and they'll do it to other stuff too.
ice cream used to be half-gallons. no more for some time. it's insidious. it sneaks up on you. hellman's mayo went from 32 oz. to 30 oz. sneaky.

i love my little specialty market, but it's pricey, i don't go all the time. and i love farmers markets too for local produce. but that is only seasonal.

and watch out for "fresh chicken" with saline added! for weight, that's what. in the small print. why the hell does chicken need to be injected with saline solution? do they give them little chicken IVs? [Image: 123872308685Wz4X.jpg]

many poor elderly people are getting mugged at the grocery!

your pet annoyances?

Checkout people who touch their mucous membranes while ringing me up and packing my bags. I watch the scanners like a hawk too, never have any trouble pointing out at the moment what's wrong.

That's why after the 20th of this month I mostly buy local. I have a CSI with Pete's Greene's and between that, the Farmer's Market and soon our own garden I mostly stay out of supermarkets except for the necessaries like coffee, pasta, wine, stuff like that.
I have noticed over the last year that prices are rising and the products are shrinking....They are not fooling me Bullshit I refuse to buy those products. And it is mostly processed food. You are simply paying too much for the convenience of it all when you can save money and make it yourself. There are certain foods I do not buy for the children anymore. I have noticed that healthier is cheaper Smiley_emoticons_smile (Chocolate is so expensive now too..... I do manage to buy it for a certain someone) hah

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.Smiley_emoticons_wink

In the UK all the major supermarket chains are engaged in a price war, prices shift weekly, you can buy a jar of coffee for 3 pounds one week, go into the same supermarket a week later pick up the same jar of coffee and it will be 4 pounds.

Crazy.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Packaging manipulation has been going on for 2 yrs now. Ice cream is fluffed with air, cereal boxes have been made skinny, each package has been reduced an oz here an oz there. It screws up a recipe from 5 yrs ago. Changing the packaging has been a great way to make people think food is not going up. Now as the prices go higher there is nothing that can be done except actually raise the price.
One thing that I am a bit concerned about is the filler material that gets stuffed into the "value" foods you see that are cheaper. Get those gardens going and those chickens clucking people!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
We buy a lot of our canned goods in bulk at BJ's or Sams Club. Especially things like soup , vegies and tuna. Last week we went to Sams for some things. We split up in the store. My husband was going to get the tuna, which always came in an 8 pack for a reasonable price for the Albacore. This time they had it as 7 cans...for the same price!! Thing is, they did not just neatly rewrap them..they cut the wrap open, took out a can and then taped the package shut again.
You probably want to consider not buying canned stuff anymore because of the chemical they use in all canning that predisposes ordinary people with no other risk to coronary artery disease.

Im talking about BPA
(05-17-2012, 08:24 AM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Checkout people who touch their mucous membranes while ringing me up and packing my bags.

I worked as a cashier/bagger at a supermarket for 8 years. Never washed my hands after using the restroom or after I had to clean a large turd someone left on the bathroom floor. I consider it my small revenge/victory for getting me in trouble with my bosses for doubling coupons I wasn't supposed to double and other stuff. Oh I scanned something wrong? Boohoo....take it to the customer service desk...its not my problem anymore.
It's the era of greed. It's easier to dig food out of the ground than to grow it. It's faster to make your second billion dollars ripping people off than making an honest dollar. It's an era where politicians and regulators are for sale to the highest bidder andf the highest bidder pays lower taxes than the average Joe.

Saying it's "saline" they are pumping into the chicken to rip you off is a lie in itself. Saline implies "sodium chloride" to most people but in point of fact they are buying 98% pure sodium tripolyphosphate from China to adulterate your food. It sucks up a lot more water than regular salt. They've been doing this for years without even noting it on the label and they're still pumping it in all kinds of meats without having it on the label. The regulators should be fired and investigated. But people do nothing and everyone is getting a cut. This chemical has never even been tested on humans and only God knows what the other 2% is.

If people won't complain about schools that are damaging the country and destroying the children then they won't worry about adulterated food either.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]
Take a chicken, kill it, pluck it, gut it. Then lay it on a table next to a store bought chicken. The store bought one looks like a superstar, the one you plucked looks like the kid that got sand kicked in his face from the old comic books. they both taste the same but the store bought one has 60% fluff. I still buy from the co-op, real chickens real eggs. The jury is still out if it has done me any good.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
The stores are in on the deceptions. Or at least they're in on it and get their cut when the package sizes are reduced. The new smaller or "improved" sizes and products are always on sale the first time they appear. Stop at the curtesy booth and complain. Let them know you're watching them and their competitors. Let them know you won't forget the price of the full sized product.

This simply proves that manufacterers no longer care about their brands or the long term past next week. Each time they reduce the package they get a windfall profit that the CEO takes home and recipes based on the old product size no longer work forever destroying demand. The CEO makes an extra couple million and the company loses market share. This is the choice they are willing to make over and over.

These companies don't want your business anyway. This is why they use packaging that can't be opened and issue coupons to everyone but loyal customers. Many are playing a goame to see how much shit and water they can put in their food before customers stop buying it. They're all engaging in a race to the bottom. They've been putting pink slime, water, sodium tripolyphoshate and far more fat than is labeled for years in hamburger and the FDA allows this. Not only do they allow this but they aren't putting it on the label which is also allowed. I can remember when 80% lean hamburger had only a little fat left over in the skillet but now there will be several tablespoons and the burgers are boiled instead of fried because of the water. What's left is mostly cooked pink slime and STP.

Meanwhile Washington DC has changed from the poorest city in the country to the wealthiest in just a few years. This is the result of "trickle down".
[Image: egypt_5.gif]
(05-17-2012, 08:42 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 08:24 AM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Checkout people who touch their mucous membranes while ringing me up and packing my bags.

I worked as a cashier/bagger at a supermarket for 8 years. Never washed my hands after using the restroom or after I had to clean a large turd someone left on the bathroom floor. I consider it my small revenge/victory for getting me in trouble with my bosses for doubling coupons I wasn't supposed to double and other stuff. Oh I scanned something wrong? Boohoo....take it to the customer service desk...its not my problem anymore.

hah I think you're lying about cleaning a turd off the floor, maybe I'm just naive.
(05-19-2012, 10:03 PM)sally Wrote: hah I think you're lying about cleaning a turd off the floor, maybe I'm just naive.

As a former cashier who has had to clean my share of bathrooms at the endo of shift, all I can say is been there, done that. Turds, dirty (read muddy) diapers, piss all over floor. Thing is..how many people would leave stuff like that in their OWN bathrooms??
(05-19-2012, 10:03 PM)sally Wrote: hah I think you're lying about cleaning a turd off the floor, maybe I'm just naive.

No, its totally true. Stupid boss didn't even give me any warning(I assume she knew beforehand what I was walking into). I was just told to clean the men's bathroom.
(05-19-2012, 10:28 PM)QueenBee Wrote: ...Turds, dirty (read muddy) diapers, piss all over floor. Thing is..how many people would leave stuff like that in their OWN bathrooms??[/b]

*raises hand*

Almost got evicted from my apartment two years ago for living in 6 months of filth(my roommate/brother helped make the mess too) in the bathroom, living room, kitchen, etc.
(05-19-2012, 11:46 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

No, its totally true. Stupid boss didn't even give me any warning(I assume she knew beforehand what I was walking into). I was just told to clean the men's bathroom.

That's a shitty job and your boss was a real bottom scraper for dumping it on you. Har har... Smiley_emoticons_razz
(05-19-2012, 11:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-19-2012, 11:46 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

That's a shitty job and your boss was a real bottom scraper for dumping it on you. Har har... Smiley_emoticons_razz
hahBlowing-kisses
That was a neat disappearing act you did last week, Clang. Glad it was temporary. Magic Man. Smiley_emoticons_wink
Thank you, Hot Dog(HoTD).

Real life stuff can be so bothersome.

I'll try to be more irresponsible in the future.Smiley_emoticons_razz
well here's where they get a lot of people. again, probably many elderly.

yesterday i wanted to buy some steaks for the grill. i didn't travel all the way to my usual market, but went to one close by. they had "boneless sirloin strip" for $X. per lb.

read the little package labels folks!

they had bone-IN steaks for $2. above the sale price per pound. but they were labeled boneless. i got the butcher who acted like he never even heard of such a mistake, and he had to take all the steaks and re-price them. ha.

buggers.