Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
what's for dinner?
(04-24-2018, 08:23 PM)sally Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 05:54 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 05:25 PM)sally Wrote: Grilled fish tacos. I'm starving and can't wait. But by the time I go to the store and buy all the ingredients and then prepare it, I won't want it anymore. That's how it always works for me.
What kind of fish do you use for tacos Sally?

I'm using mahi that I got from the fish market because it was just being filleted while I was there. I've been going there for 20 years and their seafood is always fresh off the boat.

I remember you mentioning some type of fish from Hawaii and I can't remember the name of it, but I know I have never seen it there. They have every other kind fish you can think of though.
Opah.
opah!!!!

[Image: 1pwmot.jpg]

[Image: np5.jpg]
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(04-25-2018, 11:50 AM)Maggot Wrote: [size=x-large]opah!!!!
[Image: np5.jpg]
Delicious.

He looks like a happy, fun Opah :(
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Natty lite does that to me but if it's free, cheers!
My local carniceria has some awesome cuts that they bbq right on site. I can't get enough of that stuff. I make my own pico, guac and verde salsa to put on the tacos and they are way better than anywhere else i've found. I will be finishing off the last lb that I picked up last weekend tonight.
Fried Lionfish. It's an invasive species so seafood markets are now catching and selling it which wasn't done until recently. It's probably one of the best fish for frying, it's flaky and tender and fries up perfectly. It's also great as sashimi. Eventually it's going to be an endangered fish because it's delicious.
I have a big bag of fish at home from Sunday I'm cooking some tonight and freezing the rest maybe 10-12 lbs. Haddock, Cusk, red rockfish and one big wolf fish
Back home people would eat something called bullheads. They had a couple of whiskers that would sting ya. Huge fish fries all over the North Country in April. These memories make me feel nostalgic.
(05-08-2018, 10:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: Back home people would eat something called bullheads. They had a couple of whiskers that would sting ya. Huge fish fries all over the North Country in April. These memories make me feel nostalgic.
Catfish
Yeah, catfish and their whiskers don't sting you but the spines on the side and the one on their head will stick into you. I pick them up behind the spines with my catfish vulcan grip.

Do people eat them where you are, Maggot?
(05-08-2018, 11:33 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Do people eat them where you are, Maggot?

Oh yeah. I have not been out in a few years but we would take a can of cat food and poke a bunch of holes in it and toss it into the pond or wherever we were fishing. later when it got dark we would go to the shore build a fire and start fishing. getting about 50-60 each and then bring them home at around 2 am and skin them. I got pretty good at it and could clean and skin one in about 20 seconds or less until I had a bucket full of gasping heads and a bowl with slightly squirming flesh. Cook them in butter, salt, pepper with some eggs. The heads would go in the garden or tossed in the trash. They were about 6-8" long and i liked the white bellied ones better than the yellow bellied ones for some reason.
I bet the bullheads were bigger maybe 16-18" long and fat.

I was just reading about them, made me smile.

When you just mentioned a fire it occurred to me that's the only time I can recall fishing for them, in the dark with a lakeside fire.

Bullhead season in North Country: A spring tradition in Upstate NY.

"Bullheads and robins, sure signs of spring."

[Image: bullhead-signsjpg-1c6f8d8f5827a9fe.jpg]

[Image: 2016-04-15-gw-bullheads177jpg-77140fa4a60702cd.jpg]
That reminds me I need tartar sauce. Thanks!
(05-08-2018, 10:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: Back home people would eat something called bullheads. They had a couple of whiskers that would sting ya. Huge fish fries all over the North Country in April. These memories make me feel nostalgic.

I'm hungry so I'm thinking about food. What's for dinner?
Burger King. Whopper and fries.

Mmmmm. French fries. French fries from BK. *drools*
Clam chowder and Rueben sandwiches.

My son requested it. I'm the bomb.