Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Mickey Shunick, murdered. 22, La. vanished riding her bike
Authorities in Louisiana are searching for a college student who disappeared while bicycling Saturday.

Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, a 22-year-old senior anthropology major at the University of Louisiana, was last seen at about 1:45 a.m. Saturday, when she left a friend's home on Ryan Street in Lafayette. Shunick was cycling to her home on Governor Miro Drive, a distance of about four miles, when she vanished without a trace, the Lafayette Police Department said.

Shunick is an avid cyclist and had regularly made the trip, her mother, Nancy Shunick, told The Huffington Post.

"She has a car but she likes to rides her bike," Nancy Shunick said. "She rides her bicycle everywhere, and the route she would have taken Saturday is not a bad area. It is one residential neighborhood after another."

Family members reported Mickey Shunick missing Saturday. They told police it was "uncharacteristic" of her to be out of contact with them. Shunick was also a no-show at her younger brother's high school graduation Saturday, an event her family said she was looking forward to attending.

"She is just a nice, normal kid. She has hung out with the same group of friends since kindergarten," Nancy Shunick said. "She works teaching horse-riding lessons to little kids and she attends school."

Nancy Shunick said her daughter's cellphone has not been turned on since Saturday morning.

The Lafayette Police Department did not immediately return calls for comment from HuffPost Monday. Speaking with The Advertiser on Sunday night, Lafayette Police Department spokesman Paul Mouton said investigators have few clues.

"We are following up leads, trying to determine if they are valid, but we have no new information at this time," Mouton said.

Dozens of volunteers conducted a search for Mickey Shunick on Sunday. They retraced the route she would have taken on her bike -- a black, Schwinn Madison, fixed-gear bicycle with glittery gold handlebars -- and canvassed surrounding streets. Despite their best efforts, they were unable to locate any sign of the student, her bike, wallet or other belongings. Those search efforts continue today.

Nancy Shunick said she is fearful something terrible has happened to her daughter.

"I think that someone saw the opportunity and grabbed her," a tearful Shunick told HuffPost. "She does carry pepper spray, but someone might have overpowered her."

A private donor, the parent of one of the children to whom Mickey Shunick teaches horseback riding, is offering a $10,000 reward for any information leading to Shunick's whereabouts, no questions asked.

"Please take the money and give us back our daughter," Nancy Shunick said, appealing to the person responsible. "Today is her 22nd birthday and we would like to have her home. Take the money and run. Whatever has happened, we'll fix it."

Mickey Shunick's family has created a Facebook page devoted to the search. The family is encouraging members to share information and pass out downloadable fliers. As of today, more than 1,000 people have joined the group.

Shunick is described as a white female, 5-feet-1 and approximately 115 pounds. She has shoulder-length blond hair and blue eyes. Shunick has a small tattoo of a bicycle on her right outer ankle and a nose ring on her left nostril. She was last seen wearing a pastel striped shirt, light-wash denim skinny jeans and silver ankle boots. She was carrying a light brown leather backpack, a black-and-yellow Vera Bradley wallet, a black Verizon slider phone and a small pink container of pepper spray.

Police in the Lafayette area encourage anyone with any information regarding Shunick's whereabouts to contact them at 337-291-8600. Tipsters can also send an email to [email protected].

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/21...33388.html

[Image: r-MICKEYSHUNICK-large570.jpg]
So tired of these girls going missing.
Me, too, Love Child. When I read this, I just started to cry. There are so many.

How does this happen that someone is riding a bike in broad daylight, in a nice area, and someone snatches them?
Very good Facebook page for her search effort - http://www.facebook.com/findmickeynow

It wasn't broad daylight, it was ~2am. This girl is so small, I don't think it would take much to overpower her. I think this will have a sad ending. I hope I'm wrong.
(05-22-2012, 12:48 AM)shitstorm Wrote: Me, too, Love Child. When I read this, I just started to cry. There are so many.

How does this happen that someone is riding a bike in broad daylight, in a nice area, and someone snatches them?

Just a few days ago I watched an ID Discovery show where 3 guys in a car drove past a young woman on a bike, then turned around, drove back towards her and ran into her. They put her into the car, drove to a secluded location, and raped her and battered her with a tire iron. She survived for a few hours. This was in Hawaii about 20 years ago. It took them about 7 years to solve the case.

It's just so scary how quickly an abduction can occur.
(05-22-2012, 01:16 AM)RJs-Ex Wrote: It wasn't broad daylight, it was ~2am. This girl is so small, I don't think it would take much to overpower her. I think this will have a sad ending. I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, you're right. I misread it.

I have no idea why but I can't stop crying about this. I see these stories all the time but this made me lose it.
(05-22-2012, 01:16 AM)Kip Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 12:48 AM)shitstorm Wrote: Me, too, Love Child. When I read this, I just started to cry. There are so many.

Just a few days ago I watched an ID Discovery show where 3 guys in a car drove past a young woman on a bike, then turned around, drove back towards her and ran into her. They put her into the car, drove to a secluded location, and raped her and battered her with a tire iron. She survived for a few hours. This was in Hawaii about 20 years ago. It took them about 7 years to solve the case.

It's just so scary how quickly an abduction can occur.

Yes, it is. In an instant everything can change. She's a tiny girl.
*hugs*
[Image: article-2147886-1338A37C000005DC-279_468x595.jpg]

sounds to me like she's been grabbed sadly. i haven't really read up on her much yet.

The senior anthropology major at the University of Louisiana, whose birthday is today, missed her brother’s high school graduation on Saturday.

Her cellphone has been switched off since Saturday morning.

LC, do you ever just crack from this stuff? It must be all of the crime and evil that got to me, tonight. I think I cried for a half hour. While I'm a compassionate person, I don't usually get emotionally involved in stories about people I don't know. I can't because there so many and I can't do anything about it. This one just sent me into a such a sad place :(
sometimes SS it's best to take a break from this stuff, for your own sanity.
i'm able after years to separate myself and remain objective. i do feel horrible over the children sometimes, some have had a powerful effect on me.

video with last person to see her alive, i'd look very closely at him.
i also don't think her bike has been found. i don't think a random snatch would bother with the bike.

video

http://www.katc.com/videoplayer/?video_i...tegories=8

[Image: 576260_435206646492478_100000094390839_1...0551_n.jpg]

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=DG&Date=20120520&Cat...h=410&q=60]

Ashley Says and Brettly Wilson, friends of Mickey Shunick (Wilson last person to see her), give
instructions to friends, family and other concerned volunteers at
the beginning of a search party for Shunick

Wilson

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=DG&Date=20120520&Cat...h=410&q=60]

I did look at the video and Bretty Wilson. I don't know because it's so easy to be extremely suspicious. He WAS the last person to see her, though.

I was just at Godlike Productions where there's a thread on her and someone from England posted this and it sent chills through me:

Quote:I tried to R.V. her location I see 'events' sometimes

psychic or whatever i am im not sure

but correct more than incorrect

I have looked at the link photo's and have a terrible vision in my mind

sorry i think she will be murdered

but she is still alive at the moment i feel she is fearful.

gashed/grazed left elbow/arm handpalm same

she was probably clipped off her bike by an offender in a goldy-brown car, and taken somewhere where her bike isnt.

i know she is a grown-up all the same thats what i see.

the bike will be found tomorrow - i see officers around a ditch with a bike in it.

a skinny man with longish mousy brown hair and a mushtash 5ft 11inches with toothgaps but not a scruffy person.

rendered building grey painted. 3 floors. metal type roof.
blue drainpipes with whitish repair part way up.
slight gradient/hill street/road

room inside a room

not far away from home.

she has seen this building numerous times.

i will try harder to see but usually comes as flashs and i feel ive seen it all

hope im totally wrong

no disrespect intended and i truely hope she is found safe and well

i also live in england and have never been to the U.S. so please dont look at my post as a potential offender in any way. just trying to help.

the building is the strongest vision i have. its important as i see it in my mind like ive been to it, sort of has a very powerful draw to my mind.

theres still time and hope.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1...1#31304544

This really freaks me out. I am NOT psychic nor do I get pictures or visions about shit like this but when I first found this story I felt she was alive, now, but would be killed. I don't know why I felt that but I think someone needs to look for that building RIGHT NOW. PRAY because it may change the outcome.
i'll refrain from expressing my opinion about psychics who get into these cases.

FBI is in now. i am not entirely sure why since she is not a child, but i hope for a presser later.

of some concern is that there is a traveling carnival in area.

This is Brettly Wilson, dude is a bit weird. Check out his statement under Mickey Shunik, the power the Social Media.

View here

He states, "This is the power of social media. You have the capabilities to bring someone home. You have the...inertia and the initiative to take charge of a situation that has left people hopeless, distraught and seeking for some resolution. You have the chance to extend the information about this young woman, a dear friend of ours, to everyone you know. To every facet. So whoever has taken her has nowhere to hide. We need your help. She needs your help. Bring Mickey home."

While I commend the idea behind the message, his choice of words is a bit, well, odd. ["Inertia" is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest, or the tendency of any object to resist a change to it's motion.] So he's saying that we have the resistance to change our state of motion or rest to help find "this young woman". That's a head scratcher to me.

I noticed that he didn't use Mickey's name until the very end of the spot. He refers to her as "someone" "this young woman" and "she". Also strange is the fact that he says, "we need your help" before "she needs your help".

I think I found Brettly Wilson on My Space, but am unable to view his stuff since he only shares with friends. However, this is on there: Sorry, the profile of flogthegirl is only viewable by friends.
Found out the following through another crime forum which I don't think LC wants linked here.

Bretty has an Instagram acct (just saw that site for the first time, today) and they have pages where they post pictures called Statigram (or something like that). He has lots of pics of Mickey. He also has a girlfriend who has an acct on that site. He doesn't have have any pics of his girlfriend in his photos, only Mickey. I don't want to make too much of that because his girlfriend may be a recent addition to his life. Hence no pics of her on his page. I don't know. Could be something that makes you go "hmm" or could be nothing. He's been a friend of Mickey''s for years, I guess, so pics would normal. It's logical to look at the last person who was with her and to suspect every little nuance of their speech, body language, etc, but at the same time anyone could look suspicious when you're looking at them that way. I would imagine that the cops are giving him and all of Mickey's friends a close look. I would think, and LC please confirm this, Bretty would have been extensively interviewed by the police, already.
Cheyne, yeah I noticed his misuse of a couple of words.
I know Brettly. Although we seldom talk anymore, he used to be one of my best friends.

For those saying to look at him as a suspect.... I can tell you that I have no bone in my body that thinks he had ANYTHING to do with this.
If you knew Brettly, you'd know Brettly uses big words like he did in the youtube video, all of the time.

The fact that he was fumbling his words was not from being "guilty" but from being so shaken up. You guys are forgetting the video of him breaking down on the news.

I am very interested in anything crime related, and I know most of the time it was the person you'd last suspect.... However, in this case, I can say Brettly had nothing to do with it. Him hanging out with friends late at night was not an out of the ordinary thing.
I used to hang out with him ALL the time.

I'm 5 feet tall, small girl.
I can honestly say that I think even I could overpower Brettly....
Brettly is so small and I'm not saying that to be mean. Just because he is a guy, he could not over power that girl.
Brettly is really probably right at 100 pounds or less.

Brettly has lead every part of this investigation.
I dont know this girl, but i do know Brettly.
Brettly is active like this when anyone goes missing, a complete stranger. However, this was one of his best friends.
He refers to her as young woman because he is speaking out to everyone that did not know her...
He is REMINDING them that she needs everyones help.

I think that since it was 2 a.m. ( i hope this isnt the case) but i think a drunk driver may have hit her. Once he saw she was unresponsive, he may have picked up her and her bike to avoid facing manslaughter charges. What he did with the body, I dont know.

I hope that isnt what happened and that by some miracle, shes found.

They're bringing in the K-9s today.
and by the way to the other poster, he has not had a girl friend very long at all, so I'm sure thats why there are slim to no pictures of her on his instagram.
Hibye Ocean...welcome. I love hearing from the insiders/locals. I'm glad you're here to discuss this case with us. I'm not sure I agree about the drunk driver. I think someone snatched this girl. Sad to say.