Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Mickey Shunick, murdered. 22, La. vanished riding her bike
Brandon Scott Lavergne will face a grand jury on July 18, charged with aggravated kidnapping and first-degree murder in the disappearance of Mickey Shunick, according to 15th Judicial District Attorney Mike Harson.

Harson responded to questions via email Tuesday morning to confirm the case was on the docket. He said Assistant District Attorney Keith Stoutes will handle the case before the grand jury.

Louisiana State Police arrested Lavergne Thursday afternoon near the intersection on I-10 and I-49 after a routine background check during a traffic stop revealed he had not properly registered as a sex offender. Lafayette Police subsequently took custody of Lavergne and added the capital charges in the Shunick case.

Lavergne has the right to a preliminary examination in which his attorney can subpoena witnesses and compel the prosecution to produce witnesses to show probable cause to sustain the charges, said Kevin Stockstill, a Lafayette attorney who has worked on several murder cases..

If the judge finds insufficient evidence, he could release Lavergne on bond, he said. But if the district attorney takes the case to a grand jury on July 18, Lavergne may not get that preliminary examination before indictments are issued .

"I'd be shocked if they don't present it to the grand jury, if they have their case together," Stockstill said last week.

According to Harson, the case will be heard at 3 p.m.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/201...f5020789=1

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mickey Shunick, 22, La. vanished riding her bike - by shitstorm - 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM