Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
Gay Marriage / Gay Rights
Cracker Away
White Devil

RE: Gay Marriage

(05-22-2012 12:30 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  Not a single person, regardless of race, color, creed or sexual orientation has earned their way into 'heaven' on their own 'merit'.

If you're a believer, you know the only true way in, is simply by 'grace'.

This set of statements blows my mind. Really, it does.

Is it not counterintuitive by nature? Doesn't matter what you do to others, as long as your are J's homeboy, you are in?

Christians are like black people, always looking for a hook-up instead of just paying the full price.

(03-15-2013 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
05-22-2012 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

JsMom Away
Mockstress

(05-22-2012 08:43 PM)Cracker Wrote:  
(05-22-2012 12:30 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  Not a single person, regardless of race, color, creed or sexual orientation has earned their way into 'heaven' on their own 'merit'.

Is it not counterintuitive by nature? Doesn't matter what you do to others, as long as your are J's homeboy, you are in?

Christians are like black people, always looking for a hook-up instead of just paying the full price.

05-22-2012 08:46 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(05-22-2012 05:40 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  
(05-22-2012 12:30 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  I'm not here on this earth to judge others, and any TRUE Christian should, by definition, certainly feel the same.

what's a TRUE christian? I got up this morning to see that message board crowded with so much hatred and disgust at gay people. It was horrific.

I agree with your posts about the Christian haters, aussie. Your posts in this thread made me curious. You've been vocal in your support of Pastor Joel Osteen. Do you agree with his statements that being gay is a sin, just not worse than any other sin?

Will a gay person be accepted into heaven, as you see it?,” Oprah asked the famed pastor. “I believe they will,” he responded. ”Sometimes we look at gay being a bigger sin than being proud or not telling the truth. I don’t think God categorizes sins.”

05-22-2012 09:10 PM

Ma Huang Sor Offline
Mocker

Look, imo these bullypulpitters are TERRORISTS.

lol

05-22-2012 09:41 PM

Disciple Offline
Wasn't Born To Follow

People love who they love.

Heteros get to enter into a formal relationship with legally binding rights and responsibilities.

Certain religious people try to deny gays this right, citing portions of the Bible that say its a sin.

Note, however, that those who profess to know the mind of the Almighty don't attempt to have other parts of Leviticus and Deuteronomy made part of the civil law.

Whether its a sin or not (something I can't see since sexual preference hardly seems to the product of voluntary choice) God will judge.

(S)he gets a vote. The rest of us only have opinions.

Anybody else notice that when others (especially in the Middle East [especially if they have oil]) try to codify their religious beliefs into their civil law, we call them religious fanatics?

05-22-2012 10:15 PM

Disciple Offline
Wasn't Born To Follow

(05-22-2012 12:30 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:  I'm conservative by nature, so naturally, I'm supposed to be predisposed to not wanting to allow gays to marry.

However, the more I think about it, I cannot figure out WHY it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I'm not here on this earth to judge others, and any TRUE Christian should, by definition, certainly feel the same.

Not a single person, regardless of race, color, creed or sexual orientation has earned their way into 'heaven' on their own 'merit'.

MS, you ASTONISH me!

Well reasoned, well said.

Clearly inspired by the Spirit.

05-22-2012 10:27 PM

Disciple Offline
Wasn't Born To Follow

You need to get off the computer.

NOW.

The shit you are spewing tonight is UNBELIEVABLE!

05-22-2012 10:30 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(05-22-2012 08:37 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:  If these organisations are to operate in a civilised society, they need to be accountable that they are not inciting violence against minority groups by their language and tone of their speeches. Moreover, these 'leaders' need to be accountable to the law just as any ordinary citizen is within it's community. Having a pulpit in front of you does not give you licence to vilify any individual whatsoever under any circumstances. Throw the book at him.

To the extent that they're getting some government funding, I agree that there should be some separation of church and state. Off hand, I think in the U.S., religions aren't allowed to endorse candidates or some such or they risk losing their tax exempt status (not certain of the details of that and too lazy to look it up right now).

Everything else though falls under free speech IMO. As distasteful as some speech may be, I don't want to live in a society where it's illegal to state your ugly opinions.

05-22-2012 10:36 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Yep, those who condemn gays and others have the right to express their views, and those who condemn those who condemn gays and others have the same rights. Wouldn't have it any other way.

05-22-2012 10:42 PM

aussiefriend Away
Mocker

(05-22-2012 09:10 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  I agree with your posts about the Christian haters, aussie. Your posts in this thread made me curious. You've been vocal in your support of Pastor Joel Osteen. Do you agree with his statements that being gay is a sin, just not worse than any other sin?

Will a gay person be accepted into heaven, as you see it?,” Oprah asked the famed pastor. “I believe they will,” he responded. ”Sometimes we look at gay being a bigger sin than being proud or not telling the truth. I don’t think God categorizes sins.”

It's a cross I have to bear HoTD. I don't fit in with the traditional LOUD religious right. But I do believe in God. I do not think ANY of us have all the answers, this is why it's good to discuss and debate and hopefully together we can come up with an answer.

I am quite open about my beliefs but also my failings. I am not a hypocrite, I try and be as real, honest and authentic with people as I can be.

The bottom line, God is Love, love is a beautiful thing, so if two people are in love God is there right there in that. Love does not discriminate at all, ever.

05-22-2012 10:55 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Thanks for the response, aussie. Was just curious based on some other exchanges we've had.

05-22-2012 11:25 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(05-22-2012 10:30 PM)Disciple Wrote:  

NOW.

I go with Cracker on this one. It sickens me when people who survive a tragedy where other as deserving people die say "God saved me". Really? God wanted the little kid to die?

If there is a heaven, you think God lets people in on a whim? "you I'll give grace but not you because I'm not feeling gracious right now". If there's no criteria, what's the point of even trying to live within a certain set of morals?

05-22-2012 11:40 PM

Sterling Offline
Mocker

(05-22-2012 10:15 PM)Disciple Wrote:  Certain religious people try to deny gays this right, citing portions of the Bible that say its a sin.

I'm sorry. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but are there other monotheistic religious "books" citing homosexuality as a sin or an affront to doctrine and beliefs? I gather [by your post] Christianity has the ONLY book chiding homos - am I mistaken?

05-23-2012 12:36 PM

Midwest Spy Away
The Discerning Boob Lover

(05-22-2012 11:40 PM)username Wrote:  
(05-22-2012 10:30 PM)Disciple Wrote:  

NOW.

I go with Cracker on this one. It sickens me when people who survive a tragedy where other as deserving people die say "God saved me". Really? God wanted the little kid to die?

If there is a heaven, you think God lets people in on a whim? "you I'll give grace but not you because I'm not feeling gracious right now". If there's no criteria, what's the point of even trying to live within a certain set of morals?

The Christian definition of 'grace' is Jesus dying on the cross for every one of our sins.

He said there is no way, on our own, to eternal salvation because we are all sinners. There are no amount of 'good works' that'll help you earn your way in.

Bottom line according to Jesus: Believe in me (that I died for you), and you will have eternal life.

As for your point about little children dying, while others don't, and the ones who are saved give thanks to God, yeah that confuses me as well.
Why would God allow that? Every answer I've heard does not satisfy me.

User (and others): We all get the choice to believe in what we want. My mom was a devout Christian for 20+ years, and then switched to Buddhism. I want to tell her she's 'wrong', but I don't. I mean, I thinks she knows how I feel, but I don't preach to her.

I will raise my kids how I want, and then they can make choices when they get older.

05-23-2012 02:46 PM