Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
*MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND*
i hope everyone has their buddy poppy~~

[Image: 6a01310fbc48d2970c01538ef8df8e970b-320wi]

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

[Image: flanders_field.png]

Reminder: You have to be careful at potluck picnics. Eat, then drink. If you have beer first, you might eat some stuff you wouldn't have eaten sober. My stomach hurts.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(05-24-2012, 08:54 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 10:33 AM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Once you're halfway thru an 8ball I don't think you give a fuck one way or the other.

I miss 8balls. I should probably be ashamed of that, but I'm really not. If I think real hard, I can still smell the ether...

Bass Ass Grin
(05-26-2012, 01:46 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: i hope everyone has their buddy poppy~~

[Image: 6a01310fbc48d2970c01538ef8df8e970b-320wi]

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

[Image: flanders_field.png]

I went to Harriet A Baldwin school in Brighton MA and in the third grade, I read that poem on Memorial Day on one of the first times I expressed myself in public.

Thank you.
WTF kind of weather is going on in DC? I just settled in to watch the Memorial Day concert from there and they just shut it down due to weather. Thunderstorms I guess. First there was an announcement they were evacuating the live audience due to weather, but they would continue the show. 10 minutes later they pretty much said, damn, we are all going home, herfe is last years show. Well I missed last years show, so I guess it is OK
I don't want to get old.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Getting old is better than the obvious alternative.
That's true. I don't think I'll be old when I'm old. I think I'll just be slower.
(05-27-2012, 09:51 PM)Cracker Wrote: That's true. I don't think I'll be old when I'm old. I think I'll just be slower.

Old, is always 20 years older then you already are.

(Some say, sixty is the new forty hah)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(05-27-2012, 09:26 PM)Cracker Wrote: I don't want to get old.

Cracker, you've got to think of all the positives of aging:

1. Senior Citizens' Discounts
2. Social Security benefits (UNLESS you taught in my state where you can't even collect your spouse's - it just stops if he goes first - great reward for teachers here.) Husband not a teacher.
3. Medicare (When I taught I had the Flex Plan which meant I was covered by my husband's insurance but also was able to get $2500 per year for other health concerns). Never any money out of my pocket! Now I have the joy of paying approx. $340 quarterly for Medicare and another bonus is it just keeps going up. This does not include prescriptions - your supplemental ins. helps a lot there.
4. You can still see.........but barely.
5. You can still hear........ a mumbling of sorts.
6. The various joint/muscle pains that you thought wouldn't happen to you helps you to remember that you are still alive.
7. Your metabolism slowly changes. Isn't change supposed to be good? Need less food and more rest and still tired all the time. Helps with the grocery bill.
8. If you're a person who craves sympathy, then you'll get more sympathetic looks as opposed to....
9. You give much humor to those who like to point and laugh at the way you look, act, or "anything".
10. If you don't like the way your face looks, age can certainly change that. In fact, you may not look one thing like you did in your younger days - and by younger I mean until you hit around 55. Then it's truly a miracle what happens to your face and body. Some last until 65.
11. Your budget for clothing/shoes is cut dramatically. Since you can't find anything that doesn't look like it should belong to a teeny-bopper, you just give up since there's nothing that looks good on you anyway.
12. Do compliments embarrass you? Well, you won't have to worry about getting them anymore. Well, I do exaggerate. I have found that the only way to get one is to lie about my age. Add at least 20 years to your age when someone asks you - works every time. "Oh, you certainly don't look that age!" or "Boy, I can't believe you look so young. What is your secret?"
13. No more worrying about getting a speeding ticket especially if it's at night. However, you could get a ticket for going too slow.
14. For those you never liked anyway, you don't have to worry about them anymore. They won't be able to recognize you.
15. You are much safer. All the things you loved to do the most cannot be done anymore. My favorite activity (water-skiing) is now out of the question. For some unknown reason the bones thin and get brittle-------but you are safer and spend less money sitting at home typing nonsense like this on Mock.

Sure hope this makes you appreciate what lies ahead. I've done my best to convince you. Any more questions and I'll be here to help. \

Edit: Have to add one (did I say one?) negative to all of these positives. In your mind, you are NOT old. You're still the same person trapped in an old body. Realization hits when you're out having a good time and suddenly spot yourself in a mirror. Shocking! I am not making this up either. Some day you will know what I mean.
Old
Forgot one -

If you have never edited your post, you must remember that you have already posted and when you edit, the whole thing will appear twice. I HATE BEING OLD!
I loved that, Teacher.

Awesomeness.
(05-27-2012, 10:23 PM)Teacher Wrote: Add at least 20 years to your age

hah I started adding 12 yrs. to my age a long time ago.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
There is nothing wrong with old, unless you're an old woman.

There is nothing worse than an old woman unless you're an old woman with urinary retention problems.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I'm enjoying the hell out of this long weekend. It's done wonders for my disposition. 19
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Happy Memorial Day to all the Vets of Mock. Blowing-kisses Thanks for all you do/ done.
[Image: Obama_Wreath_Arlington.JPG]

President Obama placed a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns Monday morning, honoring America's fallen soldiers on Memorial Day in a brief and solemn ceremony punctuated by the playing of taps.
Arlington National Cemetery

(05-28-2012, 10:40 AM)JsMom Wrote: Happy Memorial Day to all the Vets of Mock. Blowing-kisses Thanks for all you do/ done.

Wasn't ignorant and offensive enough to families of fallen servicemembers the first time?

Service is one thing, ultimate sacrifice entirely another. You can tell by how they get off the plane and where they sleep at night.

I love this country, I just hate half the people who live here now. They weren't worth it.
I love this country as much as the next person. You're just a White N*****.