Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke?
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke?

(06-20-2012 01:33 PM)IMaDick Wrote:  You will never get that as long as the decision is in the hands of the elected officials and the fed is allowed to over rule the states that have decided for themselves.

Optimist!

I'm not happy about what the Justice Dept is doing to sneakily circumvent California's decision to legalize medicinal marijuana distribution by threating distributors' landlords with civil action (as posted upthread). It's a perfect example of your point, imo. BUT, the distributors themselves still cannot be busted because California voted it legal - so it's progress. The California law is not being overruled, but circumvented by the Fed in this example. Medicinal distribution is legal in CA, so it's progress (imo).

06-20-2012 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

IMaDick Offline
Fuck off,I am a legend !

Semantics

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
06-20-2012 02:06 PM

Donovan Offline
Clarified idiot

(06-20-2012 01:17 PM)IMaDick Wrote:  
(06-20-2012 12:28 PM)Donovan Wrote:  We stopped being an alliance of loosely affiliated autonomous states with the civil war. The underlying question of that war was "state rights vs. Federal rights". Federal rights and a centralized government won. It was that decisive shift in national identity that led to us being a world power. I'd go into it further but your argument of "get a grip" has defeated me.

hah I laugh in the face of your bullshit.

The Constitution is intact.

The civil war didn't change it.

So what I've just made you do is insist the Constitution is still sound and remains unaffected by later events. A direct contradiction to your earlier assertion that we are currently living in a dictatorship.
To borrow a phrase my old pal Gear is fond of...
/bows.

06-20-2012 02:07 PM

IMaDick Offline
Fuck off,I am a legend !

(06-20-2012 02:07 PM)Donovan Wrote:  
(06-20-2012 01:17 PM)IMaDick Wrote:  
(06-20-2012 12:28 PM)Donovan Wrote:  We stopped being an alliance of loosely affiliated autonomous states with the civil war. The underlying question of that war was "state rights vs. Federal rights". Federal rights and a centralized government won. It was that decisive shift in national identity that led to us being a world power. I'd go into it further but your argument of "get a grip" has defeated me.

hah I laugh in the face of your bullshit.

The Constitution is intact.

The civil war didn't change it.

So what I've just made you do is insist the Constitution is still sound and remains unaffected by later events. A direct contradiction to your earlier assertion that we are currently living in a dictatorship.
To borrow a phrase my old pal Gear is fond of...
/bows.

Shit runs from the corners of your mouth.

States rights are intact dipshit was my point, The people have a voice was my point, and when our elected officials fail the question belongs to the people was my point , all of which you denied.

go back to the indoctrination camp shitbird you are failing.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams
06-20-2012 02:11 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(06-20-2012 02:06 PM)IMaDick Wrote:  Semantics

It's not semantics, Dick. To "overrule" legal distribution means to make distribution illegal again. To "circumvent" means to find indirect ways for the Fed to work around the state law and interfere with the legal distribution. The distributors can move around (and do) and continue to distribute legally, no matter what the Fed would like. Also, the landlords could refuse to evict the distributors and go to court against the US Attorneys and might win, though I understand their business reasons for not doing so (yet).

06-20-2012 02:12 PM

IMaDick Offline
Fuck off,I am a legend !

(06-20-2012 02:12 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  
(06-20-2012 02:06 PM)IMaDick Wrote:  Semantics

It's not semantics, Dick. To "overrule" legal distribution means to make distribution illegal again. To "circumvent" means to find indirect ways for the Fed to work around the state law and interfere with the legal distribution. The distributors can move around (and do) and continue to distribute legally, no matter what the Fed would like. Also, the landlords could refuse to evict the distributors and go to court against the US Attorneys and might win, though I understand their business reasons for not doing so (yet).

When the fed overules the state it is as simple as this statement.

"While some states, including California, have legalized medical-marijuana businesses, the federal government does not recognize states’ authority to do so and has targeted the businesses for violations of the 40-year-old Controlled Substances Act."

Federal law over ruling state law is what the action is, it is based in the Fed "Not Recognising states rights".

Don't be fooled by the lawyers.

John Adams
06-20-2012 02:18 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I'm not fooled by the lawyers, or the press, or anyone's posts. The Fed might want to overrule the California law, but they cannot (at least not without a major backlash and huge political cost). That's why they are using the landlord strategy to make it difficult, without "overruling".

I think it's fucked either way, but California medicinal marijuana distribution is very much alive, well and striving - that's a fact. It wouldn't be so if the Fed had overruled the California law. 27

06-20-2012 02:26 PM

IMaDick Offline
Fuck off,I am a legend !

If California law wasn't being over ruled no lawsuit could be filed by the fed.

John Adams
06-20-2012 02:39 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

I disagree that the Fed is "overruling" by using the old Controlled Substance law to threaten landlords in CA. Again, I think they're "interfering" instead, though I agree that it's bullshit either way. Gotta get some business taken care of this afternoon, so let's just leave it there for now, Dick.

Wish we were having beers discussing this instead. Summer arrived a bit early here; it's actually hot. Cheers

06-20-2012 03:05 PM

Kenny Powers Offline
Banned

I've read quite a few valid points here, and this is my 2 cents:

The prison system is not controlled by the government but by the private sector. Big, powerful, influential corporations. Decriminalization of pot would put a huge dent on their business. They get paid per inmate, and they want the cash. They control the system now and won't allow change. Business is thriving... the government spends more on prisoners than on education, and the future is bright.

There is only one way to fix this country: Stop the cash flow of political contributions. Once you stop companies and lobbyist from buying politicians, they will actually start to work for us, not the companies.

Fat people doesn't need to be taxed. We need to stop the corn subsidy and start feeding people healthy foods. Corn is making us fat and unhealthy. Big farming is now owned for just a few corporations that suck all of the subsidy, make the small farmer that is putting good, healthy products out of business and keep putting shittier foods in the mouth of our youth.

Just like drugs, the food problem will only be fixed when we stop companies buying our leaders. Pure and simple.

06-20-2012 10:45 PM

username Offline
Mod Lite

(06-20-2012 10:45 PM)Kenny Powers Wrote:  I've read quite a few valid points here, and this is my 2 cents:

The prison system is not controlled by the government but by the private sector. Big, powerful, influential corporations. Decriminalization of pot would put a huge dent on their business. They get paid per inmate, and they want the cash. They control the system now and won't allow change. Business is thriving... the government spends more on prisoners than on education, and the future is bright.

There is only one way to fix this country: Stop the cash flow of political contributions. Once you stop companies and lobbyist from buying politicians, they will actually start to work for us, not the companies.

*gasp* I completely agree with that last statement although I'd add special interests to companies.

06-20-2012 10:53 PM

Riotgear Offline
Banned

The cost of street level enforcement is the Achilles heel of the private sector fat cats who run the American prison system. Cops gotta get paid too. Oops.

That and all this 'new' info on how great weed is.

06-20-2012 11:01 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

Small step forward: New York's marijuana decriminalization efforts are underway despite Albany having voted down the full decriminalization bill last year.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday that those arrested in New York City for possessing small amounts of marijuana will no longer have to spend a night in jail.

The new measure, set to take effect next month, was announced during Bloomberg's State of the City speech. From the speech:

“But we know that there’s more we can do to keep New Yorkers, particularly young men, from ending up with a criminal record. Commissioner Kelly and I support Governor Cuomo’s proposal to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a violation, rather than a misdemeanor and we’ll work to help him pass it this year. But we won’t wait for that to happen.

“Right now, those arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana are often held in custody overnight. We’re changing that. Effective next month, anyone presenting an ID and clearing a warrant check will be released directly from the precinct with a desk appearance ticket to return to court. It’s consistent with the law, it’s the right thing to do and it will allow us to target police resources where they’re needed most."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/14...87954.html

02-14-2013 07:28 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

Well I must say that Maniacs can sure grow the bestest stuff, although dry as fuck this year. Thats what happens when you stick it in a burlap sack............El stupido stricks again! The_Villagers

02-15-2013 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply