Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke?
Governor Cuomo of New York is proposing to decriminalize the public possession of marijuana. Currently, public possession is a misdemeanor crime in NY. Cuomo proposes that if marijuana is found when someone is stopped and frisked that it instead be considered a "violation". A violation would mean no arrest and no criminal record.

The article cites several reasons for this proposal which is expected to be approved:

- Most of those arrested for pot possession have no criminal record.

- It's only a violation to be in possession privately, but currently a crime to be in possession publicly (inconsistent).

- Over 87% of those arrested for possession when stopped and frisked are blacks and Hispanics, making it harder for them to get jobs with a misdemeanor on their records (yep, Al Sharpton's calling it profiling and quoted in the article - the man is everywhere).

- A dozen states have already decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana.

- The need for medicinal marijuana is better understood by the public today; reducing marijuana penalties helps support the cause.

- At least one state is expected to make marijuana possession legal in the near future; possibly as soon as November.

Critics of the proposal claim that today's pot is much more potent and addictive. There is also a quote in the article stating that legalization of marijuana would mean a drastic reduction in its price for users (even with a tax) and would increase marijuana use.

Here again we see a conflict between Federal law and States rights (same as with DOMA and recognition of same sex marriage). Cannabis is a Schedule I drug according to the federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970, which classified cannabis as having high potential for abuse, no medical use, and not safe to use under medical supervision. Yet, 16 states and the District of Columbia allow marijuana use for medicinal purposes, 14 states have already decriminalized possession, and 12 states currently have pending legislation for medical legalization.

I think the Fed law is outdated (like many others, imo), decriminalization or legalization should be a matter decided by the states, and I support the legalization of marijuana for medicinal and recreational purposes. Opinions for or against legalization?Weed-2

References:
-NY proposal: http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/justice/ny...?hpt=ju_t4
-Marijuana laws by country (interesting chart, imo): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of...by_country
It would make me feel like a 17 year old again.

I grew up in a state and time when Pot was decriminalized, it was the best thing that ever happened.

5 dollar ounces were plentiful, even though it was still illegal to sell or grow pot.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

The so called war on drugs was single handedly the biggest cause for most of the prison population explosion, gang violence and assorted other criminal activity in the last few decades. Marijuana as a "gateway" drug was a myth perpetrated by the lumber industry and later the drug czars. It's long past time for them to reverse such a stupid and problematic mistake.
This guy we know in Stowe just got popped for 55 plants on his land. 2nd time he's been popped. He has a MM card, but that's only good for two oz and a couple growing plants, plus stowe has a ban on growing whether decrim occurs or not.

He's toast.
How can cannabis be illegal anyway its a plant, natures creation.

Fuck the government.
(08-08-2010, 06:37 PM)Maggot Wrote: May your ears turn into arseholes and shit on your shoulders......Smiley_emoticons_smile

The same way that a woman selling her snatch can be illegal.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(06-07-2012, 12:26 PM)IMaDick Wrote: The same way that a woman selling her snatch can be illegal.

I'm not talking about selling it, but growing a few plants and not living in a drug dealers pocket.
(08-08-2010, 06:37 PM)Maggot Wrote: May your ears turn into arseholes and shit on your shoulders......Smiley_emoticons_smile

(06-07-2012, 12:26 PM)IMaDick Wrote: The same way that a woman selling her snatch can be illegal.

Hey Mr. Enlightened, it's also illegal for a man to sell his cock and either gender to professionally trade sex for money in most states. I think prostitution should be legalized too (and regulated to minimize exploitation of minors).

But, back to the pot. Haven't looked into what legalization would require in terms of infrastructure. Guessing that legal medicinal pot farmers could serve as a baseline. I think the FDA is involved there. In my opinion, it should be legal to grow and possess a certain amount on an individual level without permit, but if the government gets involved in regulating and taxing, that might pose a competitive conflict. I don't think it's legal to grow tobacco or produce alcohol in any state, for that very reason. Need to research a little.
It should be legal just as alcohol is. Tax the shit out of it like ciggs and get this country out of debt.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
The war on Drugs is a multi billion dollar a year business.

http://www.drugsense.org/cms/wodclock
John Adams

(06-07-2012, 12:35 PM)ramseycat Wrote: It should be legal just as alcohol is. Tax the shit out of it like ciggs and get this country out of debt.

Shut the fuck up you stupid cow, nothing should be taxed, do you understand that shit, nothing.

The people of this country did not put us in debt, let the stupid fuckers who spent more than they made pay the fucking bill.
John Adams

Fuck off Dickley. Get a job so you can pay your taxes like the rest of us. Pot, ciggs, alcohol = luxeries. Not necessities. Tax that shit. I agree the government and it's reckless spending got us into this mess. And I bet the politicians spend a lot of money on booze. Let them pay taxes on it. I bet a lot of them smoke pot too. I was surprised at how many people I work with smoke pot. People I would never ever think smoked.
(06-07-2012, 12:41 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Fuck off Dickley. Get a job so you can pay your taxes like the rest of us. Pot, ciggs, alcohol = luxeries. Not necessities. Tax that shit. I agree the government and it's reckless spending got us into this mess. And I bet the politicians spend a lot of money on booze. Let them pay taxes on it. I bet a lot of them smoke pot too. I was surprised at how many people I work with smoke pot. People I would never ever think smoked.

Ignorance is your only excuse.

Government regulation is not the answer to anything, deregulation is what LEGAL means dipshit.
John Adams

They should tax fat people. They cost us a bunch, too.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(06-07-2012, 12:51 PM)IMaDick Wrote:
(06-07-2012, 12:41 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Fuck off Dickley. Get a job so you can pay your taxes like the rest of us. Pot, ciggs, alcohol = luxeries. Not necessities. Tax that shit. I agree the government and it's reckless spending got us into this mess. And I bet the politicians spend a lot of money on booze. Let them pay taxes on it. I bet a lot of them smoke pot too. I was surprised at how many people I work with smoke pot. People I would never ever think smoked.

Government regulation is not the answer to anything, deregulation is what LEGAL means dipshit.

Ok, ciggs are legal and they are taxed to the max in NY. Do the same thing with pot. Do you understand now?
*awaits dicks response hah

(06-07-2012, 12:54 PM)Cracker Wrote: They should tax fat people. They cost us a bunch, too.

I think they should tax snack crackers. Cheezit's, Wheat Thins, all of it.
(06-07-2012, 12:57 PM)ramseycat Wrote:
(06-07-2012, 12:51 PM)IMaDick Wrote:

Ok, ciggs are legal and they are taxed to the max in NY. Do the same thing with pot. Do you understand now?

if the product is regulated and taxed it's not legal it's allowed by law for a price paid to the Government.

Legal means deregulated.

Learn something for once in your ignorant life.
John Adams

You make this shit up as you go along?
Yes Ma, he does. I am way to exhausted to debate this shit with him. You can take over. Maybe he will listen to you since you are a man but I doubt it.