Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pot Criminalization: Up in Smoke?

DC will be voting on legalizing pot in November. I am astounded.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Wow. Really? I bet it doesn't pass.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

It's already been decriminalized. Fines that could have been as high as 1000.00 have now been dropped to 25.00 so that's a big step in the right direction.
PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM

[Image: philly-norml-marijuana.jpg]

It's so encouraging to see DC and Philly moving outta the dark ages on marijuana possession. Way too many people have been jailed and subsequently unable to find employment for carrying a bit of weed, IMO.

Snip:
Philly Mayor Michael Nutter confirmed Monday that he will sign a bill into law that will make his city the largest in America to decriminalize marijuana possession, Philly Mag reports. Essentially it softens the penalty for such an offense from possible jail time to a $25 fine.

Nutter wasn't a fan of the bill in the past, but he told KYW Newsradio that he agreed to sign the bill -- with a caveat -- because he's seen too many of his citizens slapped with charges for small amounts of pot.

"So I think the agreement ends up putting the city and our citizens in a much better place," Nutter told CBS News, noting that signing the bill won't be the same as condoning marijuana use.

Though earlier reports have stated that Nutter would sign the bill this week, it'll likely take another two. He arrived at a compromise with City Councilman Jim Kenney, who originally sponsored the bill in May. Nutter's tweak will tack on a $100 fine for smoking in public, which can be waived with a few hours of public service. Kenney's bill will be amended Thursday by the council and get a final vote two weeks later before it shows up on Nutter's desk again.

Kenney says the amendment is still a whole lot better than Philadelphia's current law, which punishes any marijuana possession with at least a $200 fine, a drug abuse course and an arrest record, according to Mic.

Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/08...86848.html

Awesome. Wish my state would follow suit.
ALASKA BECOMES THIRD STATE TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

Ramsey was on the right track in post #9.

Legalizing and taxing marijuana won't take the country out of debt (unless it becomes legal on a federal level at some point), but it can certainly push individual states from deficit to surplus.

Plus, it allows for better allocation of tax dollars that are currently wasted on law enforcement pursuing marijuana arrests and incarcerating those who are convicted.

Snip:

[Image: alaskan-negress.jpg]

Yesterday, Alaska ended prohibition of marijuana in the state, officially putting into effect Ballot Measure 2, approved by 53 percent of state voters in November.

Alaskans age 21 and older may now legally possess up to one ounce of marijuana, grow as many as six marijuana plants in their homes (with no more than three flowering), and possess any additional marijuana produced by those plants.

Shops selling legal recreational marijuana aren't likely to open until 2016, after the state legislature establishes a regulatory framework. State lawmakers have begun introducing legislation to that end.

"State laws allowing adults to use marijuana are becoming less and less of a novelty," said Mason Tvert, communications director for drug policy reform group Marijuana Policy Project. "It won’t be long before it’s the rule instead of the exception nationwide. Colorado and Washington are proving that regulating marijuana works, and soon Alaska will, too.”

Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/24...e&ir=Crime
Now that Colorado has, ummm, blazed the trail so to speak, the other states will topple like dominoes. Not because none of the dire health predictions came true, even though they haven't; but because of that crazy revenue Colorado is raking in. Fucking green gold is what they have.

. Now there's a study that says pot is far and away the least dangerous recreational drug out there. Shocking, said absolutely nobody. Pot heads have been saying booze and cigarettes are way worse for decades now. Only now science is backing them up on it.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

I have never, ever seen anyone high on weed say or do the kinds of things someone who is drunk will say or do.
(02-25-2015, 03:03 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I have never, ever seen anyone high on weed say or do the kinds of things someone who is drunk will say or do.

I agree. Booze vs weed is a no comparison. The way I act when I'm drinking is nothing like I act when I'm smoking. I'll take weed over alcohol any day.
(02-25-2015, 03:03 PM)Duchess Wrote:

You never met me. I handle booze way better than pot. If I smoked a joint and you asked me what I was watching on TV I wouldn't be able to tell you.

"Hey Sally, do you know where your kids are?" No, I don't know even know where the fuck I am.
I realize that's not the norm, but that's why I don't smoke it.

I get high everyday but I rarely drink. I have an itty bitty wine cellar with many bottles of wine that hardly ever even gets touched.

Now DC joins the ranks. Sorta never thought this day would come for such a tightassed town.

After months of debate, threats and uncertainty, recreational marijuana became legal in Washington, D.C., Thursday -- at least according to the city government.

Adults 21 and over may now legally use marijuana, possess up to two ounces and grow up to six marijuana plants in their homes for personal use. Marijuana sales remain illegal, but the District Council is considering a bill that would regulate and tax marijuana sales, similar to laws in Colorado and Washington state. Because of the city's unique oversight by Congress, it's unclear if any measure legalizing marijuana sales and regulation could go into effect before 2016.

Story
IT'S ABOUT TIME -- PROPOSED END TO THE FED'S WAR ON MARIJUANA

[Image: Uncle-Sam.jpg]

This is so long-overdue and such a positive shift in mindset and policy for America, IMO. Since the bill was drafted by two Democrats AND a high-profile Republican, maybe it can even get passed by Congress. God I hope so.

A sweeping Senate bill introduced Tuesday seeks to significantly roll back the federal government's war on medical marijuana.

The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States (CARERS) Act, introduced by Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), seeks to drastically reduce the federal government's ability to crack down on state-legal medical marijuana programs and encourage more research into the plant through several major changes in federal law.

Here are some highlights of the legislation:

Protection From Federal Prosecution: One of the most significant goals of the bill is to allow for patients, doctors and businesses to participate in their states' medical marijuana programs without fear of being prosecuted by the federal government, which continues to ban the substance in all forms. Under this new legislation, the Controlled Substances Act would be amended so that states can set their own medical marijuana policies.

To date, 23 states, along with the District of Columbia, have legalized medical marijuana and 12 others have legalized the limited use of low-THC marijuana for medical purposes. The state laws and people acting in compliance with them would be protected by this bill.

Reclassifying Marijuana As A Less Dangerous Substance:
Under the Controlled Substances Act, the U.S. has five categories for drugs and drug ingredients. Schedule I is reserved for what the Drug Enforcement Administration considers to have the highest potential for abuse and no medical value. Marijuana has been classified as Schedule I for decades, alongside other substances like heroin and LSD.

Financing Reform: Banks Could Work With Medical Marijuana Businesses: Legal marijuana, both medical and recreational, is the fastest-growing industry in the U.S., and the vast majority of the industry's more than $1 billion in annual revenue is brought in by state-legal medical marijuana programs. But because of banks' fears of being implicated as money launderers, marijuana-related businesses are often forced into cash-only transactions, putting retailers' safety at risk and creating problems with taxes and employee payroll. Despite the Treasury Department's 2014 guidance, which supporters hoped would ease interactions, most banks are still extremely wary of working with marijuana businesses since the plant remains illegal under federal law. The legislation would expand banking access for medical marijuana businesses, enabling them to function largely like traditional businesses.

Open Up Avenues For Research On The Plant: Getting the federal government to sign off on a marijuana study is exceedingly difficult, and two of the most stifling federal barriers to marijuana research would be lifted under this new legislation. Currently, all marijuana research must go through a Public Health Service review -- a process established in 1999 by the federal government after a 1998 Institute of Medicine report called for more scientific research into the medical value of marijuana. It's a process that no other Schedule I substance is subject to and one that researchers and lawmakers alike have criticized for thwarting research. That extra step would be removed entirely under the Senate bill.

Easier Access For Veterans: Currently, doctors working under the Department of Veterans Affairs are prohibited from aiding their patients who are seeking medical marijuana, even in states where it is legal. This legislation would lift that ban and allow for VA doctors to recommend medical marijuana to their veteran patients suffering from certain conditions, where it is legal to do so under state law.

The CARERS Act has the support of more than 20 high-profile policy organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, Americans for Safe Access, Marijuana Policy Project, Drug Policy Alliance, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition and Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies.

Full piece: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/10...36482.html
I've always thought it should be sold in liquor stores like booze and treated as such. It could pay for Obamacare.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-10-2015, 02:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: IT'S ABOUT TIME -- PROPOSED END TO THE FED'S WAR ON MARIJUANA

[Image: Uncle-Sam.jpg]

This is so long-overdue and such a positive shift in mindset and policy for America, IMO. Since the bill was drafted by two Democrats AND a high-profile Republican, maybe it can even get passed by Congress. God I hope so.

A sweeping Senate bill introduced Tuesday seeks to significantly roll back the federal government's war on medical marijuana.

The Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States (CARERS) Act, introduced by Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), seeks to drastically reduce the federal government's ability to crack down on state-legal medical marijuana programs and encourage more research into the plant through several major changes in federal law.

Here are some highlights of the legislation:

Protection From Federal Prosecution: One of the most significant goals of the bill is to allow for patients, doctors and businesses to participate in their states' medical marijuana programs without fear of being prosecuted by the federal government, which continues to ban the substance in all forms. Under this new legislation, the Controlled Substances Act would be amended so that states can set their own medical marijuana policies.

To date, 23 states, along with the District of Columbia, have legalized medical marijuana and 12 others have legalized the limited use of low-THC marijuana for medical purposes. The state laws and people acting in compliance with them would be protected by this bill.

Reclassifying Marijuana As A Less Dangerous Substance:
Under the Controlled Substances Act, the U.S. has five categories for drugs and drug ingredients. Schedule I is reserved for what the Drug Enforcement Administration considers to have the highest potential for abuse and no medical value. Marijuana has been classified as Schedule I for decades, alongside other substances like heroin and LSD.

Financing Reform: Banks Could Work With Medical Marijuana Businesses: Legal marijuana, both medical and recreational, is the fastest-growing industry in the U.S., and the vast majority of the industry's more than $1 billion in annual revenue is brought in by state-legal medical marijuana programs. But because of banks' fears of being implicated as money launderers, marijuana-related businesses are often forced into cash-only transactions, putting retailers' safety at risk and creating problems with taxes and employee payroll. Despite the Treasury Department's 2014 guidance, which supporters hoped would ease interactions, most banks are still extremely wary of working with marijuana businesses since the plant remains illegal under federal law. The legislation would expand banking access for medical marijuana businesses, enabling them to function largely like traditional businesses.

Open Up Avenues For Research On The Plant: Getting the federal government to sign off on a marijuana study is exceedingly difficult, and two of the most stifling federal barriers to marijuana research would be lifted under this new legislation. Currently, all marijuana research must go through a Public Health Service review -- a process established in 1999 by the federal government after a 1998 Institute of Medicine report called for more scientific research into the medical value of marijuana. It's a process that no other Schedule I substance is subject to and one that researchers and lawmakers alike have criticized for thwarting research. That extra step would be removed entirely under the Senate bill.

Easier Access For Veterans: Currently, doctors working under the Department of Veterans Affairs are prohibited from aiding their patients who are seeking medical marijuana, even in states where it is legal. This legislation would lift that ban and allow for VA doctors to recommend medical marijuana to their veteran patients suffering from certain conditions, where it is legal to do so under state law.

The CARERS Act has the support of more than 20 high-profile policy organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, Americans for Safe Access, Marijuana Policy Project, Drug Policy Alliance, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition and Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies.

Full piece: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/10...36482.html

Respect-applause
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA -- SHOW ME THE $$$$

Washington state raked in more than $70 million in taxes on $274 million is sales during its first year of legal and regulated marijuana (2014), double the forecast.

In the first year of legalization, Washington state's marijuana businesses sold more than 22,000 pounds of marijuana and 700,000 marijuana-infused edible products, including both solids and liquids. Meanwhile, state cultivators harvested nearly 60,000 pounds of marijuana flower.

Washington state has approved more than 6 million square feet of plant canopy to produce marijuana to date, according to Brian Smith, the communications director for the state Liquor Control Board.

Colorado raked in $44 million in taxes off of $386 million in sales during its first of legal and regulated marijuana (2013), vastly exceeding the forecast. Last year, those numbers doubled.

Besides Washington and Colorado, two more states -- Oregon and Alaska -- as well as the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for recreational purposes. While Oregon's new law went into effect just last week and Alaska's went into effect in February, the first shops in both states aren't expected to open until 2016.

That's a lot of tax revenue slated for schools, healthcare and road repair.

"These impressive numbers are likely to catch the eyes of policymakers in other states that could use a little help closing their budget gaps," said Tom Angell, chairman of the advocacy group Marijuana Majority.

Legal marijuana is the fastest-growing industry in the United States, a recent industry report found, and if the trend toward legalization spreads to all 50 states, marijuana could become larger than the organic food industry.

Marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

Refs:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/06...37722.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...n-by-2016/
Mizanskey Walks Free

[Image: parole24n-3-web.jpg]

The release of Jeff Mizanskey from a Jefferson City, Missouri, Correctional Center followed years of lobbying from family, lawmakers and advocates for the legalization of marijuana.

Mizanskey was sentenced to Life with Parole in 1996 after police said he conspired to sell 6 pounds of marijuana to a dealer connected to Mexican drug cartels. The life with no parole sentence was allowed under a Missouri law for persistent drug offenders; Mizanskey already had two drug convictions — one for possession and sale of marijuana in 1984 and another for possession in 1991.

Mizanskey was the only Missouri inmate serving such a sentence for a nonviolent marijuana-related offense when Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon agreed in May to commute his sentence. Nixon's action allowed Mizanskey to argue for his freedom.

Nixon cited Mizanskey's nonviolent record, noting that none of his offenses involved selling drugs to children. The law under which he was originally sentenced has since been changed.

Other states are reevaluating punishments for drug-possession crimes, largely motivated by the high cost of imprisoning low-level, nonviolent offenders.

In Connecticut, a new law will make possession of small amounts of hard drugs, including heroin, cocaine and crack cocaine, a misdemeanor for a first-time offense, rather than allowing for the current maximum seven-year prison sentence. Nebraska and Alabama expect to save hundreds of millions of dollars by cutting down on the number of offenders locked up for possessing small amounts of drugs under new laws.

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/miss...ks-n419376
------------------------------

I'm glad to see Mizanskey walk free, and to see non-violent possession charges downgraded to misdemeanors, decriminalized, or legalized across the country -- in relation to marijuana, at least.
You'd think he'd look happier about it.