Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawyers
what has been your experience with lawyers? personal injury? criminal? estate?

if you read the crime forum you know i have complete contempt for some members of the defense bar. unethical lying pricks like jose baez. or media whores like gloria allred.

BUT, everyone in America is entitled to a defense when accused of a crime, and should have the best representation possible. their tactics are pretty predictable if you've been around the criminal justice system for any time.

then there are the prosecutors...i am usually firmly in their camp. they have a duty to not overcharge, and to bring charges in good faith. to charge only what they believe they can prove in court.
sometimes there is not enough evidence and a DA will decline to prosecute. and as frustrating as it can be for police who have worked a case, they sometimes see fit to make deals with the defendants. usually to save money and time. so a deal can be expedient on several levels.

so i have more to say, but wanted members to weigh in with their opinions.

[Image: 2e37f394-56e8-4653-a2dc-d16e588ee3b4_1334057549.jpg]

[Image: 4d6931b09c50012f2fe400163e41dd5b]

[Image: b90d6960a2d8012f2fe800163e41dd5b]

I do not like Personal Injury attorney's for the obvious reasons.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Is this because there is a lawyer who is sweet on you?

I like attorneys very much, and good lookin' architects too.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Do you know why lawyers wear neck ties?
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

sometimes they are very necessary...such as estates and trusts and wills, divorce, small claims and other important civil matters. you need someone who knows what is permissible in your state. and you should have a will! i know i have been foolishly putting it off.

i had a great law firm who handled my parents' estate, they were so scrupulous and honest. i had known them from my time at the law library.
that's where i'm going to get my will done.

if you need one and can't get a trusted referral, your local Bar Assoc. will recommend one. they know who has been disciplined or sanctioned.

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL BAR BEFORE HIRING ANY LAWYER.

and
A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client, adage says

(06-20-2012, 01:52 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I do not like Personal Injury attorney's for the obvious reasons.

not so obvious, i don't know why you don't like them. because of insurance claims? some ARE greedy ambulance-chasing swine. god, all those adverts, been in an accident? disabled? they cannot solicit you personally, but they will find a way.
and most will work on a contingency. the % can be reasonable. or not. but they spend a FORTUNE on all those billboards and TV adverts. and run huge firms who do nothing but PI. a mill for boilerplate litigation.

on the other hand, if you need a PI lawyer, and find a good & righteous one with your interests at heart, it is an invaluable service.

OLD joke--->
[Image: Professional_Courtesy_SharksM.jpg]

Why is an attorney safe from a shark attack? Professional Courtesy.

My dad is actually an attorney, as is his dad.

My dad has never practiced for a living. Retired from his job at age 55 and now does some occasional pro bono work for people he knows that aren't well off.

As you said though, LC, it's nice having him be able to set up wills and basically knowing the ins and outs of the law.
a couple random thoughts--->

if someone rear-ends your car, fall out on the pavement and start complaining about neck (whiplash) and back pain. severe pain! that very real pain will likely show up later. hundreds of business cards will be surreptitiously placed in your pockets. (sorry Ramsey) Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

if you are being looked at for any reason in a criminal case, named a person of interest, asked to take a poly...LAWYER UP! even if you are 100% innocent. lawyer up and shut the fuck up. Smiley_emoticons_stumm

[Image: polymoe.jpg]

I love the scene in Meet The Parents when Ben Stiller gets hooked up to the polygraph by Robert DeNiro.

hah
(06-20-2012, 03:00 PM)Lady Cop Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 01:52 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I do not like Personal Injury attorney's for the obvious reasons.

not so obvious, i don't know why you don't like them. because of insurance claims? some ARE greedy ambulance-chasing swine. god, all those adverts, been in an accident? disabled? they cannot solicit you personally, but they will find a way.
and most will work on a contingency. the % can be reasonable. or not. but they spend a FORTUNE on all those billboards and TV adverts. and run huge firms who do nothing but PI. a mill for boilerplate litigation.

on the other hand, if you need a PI lawyer, and find a good & righteous one with your interests at heart, it is an invaluable service.

OLD joke--->
[Image: Professional_Courtesy_SharksM.jpg]

Why is an attorney safe from a shark attack? Professional Courtesy.

Exactly what you said LC. They take people on as clients with minor injuries and direct their treatment to drive up the value of their BI claim. They have doctors they refer their clients to that will write the "injured" person out of work. Again, to drive up the value of their BI claim. I have a few people that are treating with chiro, PT, and acupuncture 2-3 times a week each. I find it hard to believe a person can treat that much in one week. I could go on and on but you get the gist. There are some honest attorney's out there. My divorce attorney is a rock star. Other's not so much.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
My attorney is an educated Southern gentleman. I forget what the fuck I am saying sometimes when I'm sitting across the table. haha. Silver-haired fox, that man. As much as I roll my eyes at a table full of attorneys, if you have ever needed one you see them a bit differently.

Every now and then someone is innocent and needs help, but many of them profit from people who do stupid shit who are willing to pay money to get out of it.

I guess like anybody else, good and bad.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I think if the standards were a lot higher there would be less unethical practicing lawyers. Unfortunately, the law is a big business and most politicians making the laws that regulate them come from that field, so no changes are ever going to be made. From the prosecution side, I wish the government would decriminalize drug laws so they can concentrate their resources at the most serious crimes. Then again, prisoners are a big business in this country so I don't think these changes would ever happen. Not financially viable.
Just like undertakers.

A big fucking joke.

Until YOU need one.
(06-20-2012, 08:37 PM)Disciple Wrote: Just like undertakers.

A big fucking joke.

Until YOU need one.

absolutely. and i have indicated that.

I see people talking shit about defense attorneys who get people off all the time yet not one person is ever willing to admit they would want the attorney to do the same damn thing for them or someone they care about. Hypocrites. You can bet your ass if it was any one of you getting ready to go to the slammer you'd want someone just like that.

I just have nicer feelings towards defense attorneys than I do prosecutors.
Ive never used a lawyer for anything to date. I even wrote my own living will.

If something happened that required those services though, I know the right ones to use.

I've never needed a criminal attorney & I hope I never do.
(06-20-2012, 08:59 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote: Ive never used a lawyer for anything to date. I even wrote my own living will.

If something happened that required those services though, I know the right ones to use.

a living will is not the same thing as a last will and testament. there are laws in every state about the requirements for validity, and they must be adhered to. i wouldn't do it myself (holographic, handwritten). it may not meet statutory requirements for your actual wishes for distribution of your estate. and probate could devour it.