Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Scream!
favorites? ever make your own?

i used to make it when the kids were young. YUM! [Image: screamicecreamf.gif]

i do not like soft-serve dairy queen type junk. blech

----------------------------------------------------------

[Image: ice_cream_710.jpg]

In 1984, President Ronald Reagan decreed July as National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday of July as National Ice Cream Day. Any sweltering summer day is a fine time for ice cream, but consider July 15 an officially sanctioned excuse to indulge as well as honor our former President. We’re sharing where to find the best frozen treats around the country, from old-time ice cream parlors to imaginative gelato and sorbet shops experimenting with unusual flavors. Make sure you go out and enjoy this Ice Cream Sunday.

Bassetts Ice Cream
Reading Terminal Market
45 N. 12th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-925-4315

Bassetts dispenses premium ice cream in flavors like butterscotch vanilla, matcha (green tea) and Guatemalan Ripple (Guatemalan sourced coffee with mocha fudge ripple and coffee filled chocolates). This old-time ice cream parlor was founded in 1861 but has been in its present home at Philadelphia’s Reading Terminal Market since 1893.

Black Dog Gelato
859 N. Damen Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622
773-348-7935

Jessie Oloroso dreams up creative, contemporary creations at Black Dog Gelato in Chicago. A pastry chef by trade, her background informs flavors, which often play upon both the savory and sweet. Not to be missed is the lush goat cheese-cashew caramel, but we also suggest the malted vanilla and Mexican hot chocolate.

Fairfax Scoop
63 Broadway Blvd.
Fairfax, CA 94930
415-453-3130

A cone from Fairfax Scoop is not only a rite of summer, it's a must year-round in the San Francisco Bay Area’s Marin County. The tiny shop, a pioneer in America’s organic ice cream movement, churns up seasonal flavors daily using cream from nearby Straus Dairy and local fruits, nuts and herbs. Find more of the Top 10 Places to get Ice Cream around San Francisco

70 Four Seas Ice Cream
360 S. Main St.
Centerville, MA 02632
508-775-1394

Four Seas is not only one of New England's oldest ice cream shops, it is also known as the longtime favorite of the Kennedy clan. The Cape Cod shop offers 24 flavors daily of house-made ice cream in classic and creative flavors, like maple walnut, rum and butter, mocha chip and ginger.

Graeter's
8533 Beechmont Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45255
513-474-5636

Graeter’s is a beloved fixture in most Cincinnati neighborhoods. Started by a German immigrant in 1870, it’s still a family-run business, and the ice cream continues to be made by a laborious process in which workers use hand-carved paddles to scrape it from French pots, the earliest ice cream makers manufactured. They'll even box pints and ship them in dry ice for those who get a craving far from home.

Il Laboratorio del Gelato
188 Ludlow St.
New York, NY 10002
212-343-9922

Jon F. Snyder, founder and former owner of gelato company Ciao Bella, brought Manhattan an upscale ice cream shop that makes just about everyone scream. A rotating selection of around two hundred homemade gelatos and sorbets are on offer, with options like dark chocolate, honey lavender and vanilla rum. Find more of the Top 10 Places to get Ice Cream in New York

Mora Iced Creamery
139 Madrone Ln.
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
206-855-8822

Mora Iced Creamery on Bainbridge Island, a 30-minute ferry boat ride from Seattle, is well worth the excursion. With all ice cream hand-churned in-house from pure ingredients, there are 48 classic and seasonal flavors on any given day, which include several choices of chocolate --- the hazelnut-chocolate is a must --- and a range of exotic delights such as goat cheese with fig or rose petal.

Morelli's Gourmet Ice Cream & Desserts
Ormewood Square
749 Moreland Ave. SE, Ste. B102
Atlanta, GA 30316
404-622-0210

Does “Death by Chocolate” sound like a great way to go? Slowly savor this deep, dense chocolate ice cream base with a swirl of even deeper fudge-like chocolate within. How about corn ice cream? These are just a few of the options you might find at Morelli's Gourmet Ice Cream & Desserts in Atlanta.

Scoops
712 N. Heliotrope Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90029
323-906-2649

At Scoops in Los Angeles, owner Tai Kim pushes the limits of gelato and sorbet, experimenting with ingredients like black truffles. Of the more than a dozen flavors offered daily, the only constant is brown bread, a send-up of an English classic, with Grape Nuts instead of breadcrumbs. Find more of the Top 10 Places to get Ice Cream around Los Angeles

Wild About Harry's
3113 Knox St.
Dallas, TX 75205
214-520-3113

The line is almost always out the door, so it seems like everyone is wild about Harry's hot dogs and frozen custard in Dallas. The custard flavor options are many and the specialties such as the chocolate peppermint malt are heavenly.

The iiiiiiiiicccccceee creeaaaammm man is coming!!!!
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021

I fucking love ice cream, love it. If I didn't care about the size of my ass I would eat it every single day. I limit myself to Sundays only & during football season I justify it, if my team wins, it's a form of celebration, if my team loses, I am drowning my sorrows.

I've never made my own, my favorite (right now) is chocolate, it used to be caramel praline crunch.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i had one like this. when my kids would ask me what kind of ice cream i was making, i'd tell them mushroom, turnip or broccoli. poor abused kids. 212121 hah

[Image: 314390e.jpg]

My favorite is chocolate chip cookie dough. Our family tried making it years ago, but every time we'd buy the bags of ice for it, we'd end up using up the ice for our sodas or kool-aid before we could make the ice cream.
And who can forget Van Halen's 'Ice Cream Man'?

If it weren't for ice cream, I'd be a chiseled, rippling, hunk of a guy.

At least I buy the 'half the fat' stuff now (like that really makes a difference).

When there's ice cream in the house, my kids beg me not to 'pound' it.

Definitely my greatest food weakness.
I love ice cream, but hardly ever eat it. When I do, I like Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, or Breyer's Peanut Butter Cup.

Never attempted to make ice cream at home, but sounds fun...
(07-13-2012, 01:50 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I love ice cream, but hardly ever eat it. When I do, I like Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, or Breyer's Peanut Butter Cup.

Never attempted to make ice cream at home, but sounds fun...

Oh yeah forgot about B&J, last time I had it was in college(Chunky Monkey). Good stuff. Too expensive at $5 a pint.
I love Chocolate PB ice cream! Stewarts makes an awsome one. Clang you have probably seen it right?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Starbuck's 'Java Chip'.

Highly recommended!
(07-13-2012, 01:56 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I love Chocolate PB ice cream! Stewarts makes an awsome one. Clang you have probably seen it right?

Probably. My family mostly buys the Death by Chocolate. My dad hates the peanut butter ice creams(coffe ice cream too). I'm going to buy so much ice cream when the flavor choice is mine alone.
Get a job and buy your own and it will be your choice. You should be able to get something. Anything. I see Stewarts is hiring all the time in my area. And hey, you might bet FREE ice cream.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Haagen Dasz Reserve was my favorite, but I can't find it anymore. It's different from the regular Haagen Dasz which is still good, but nowhere close to the dark chocolate reserve and Madagascar vanilla bean.
I will put a serious hurt on some Dreyer's Rocky Road. Why mess with perfection?
(07-13-2012, 03:25 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Get a job and buy your own and it will be your choice. You should be able to get something. Anything. I see Stewarts is hiring all the time in my area. And hey, you might bet FREE ice cream.

Tried Stewart's. The interviewer kept me waiting 25 minutes, and then gave me a 5 minute interview, took my resume, said something about keeping it on file, and that he had a lot of people he had to interview for the position, and left it vague on when/if he'd get back to me anytime soon. That was June 27th.

Er...back on topic...om nom nom....ICE CREAM!
(07-13-2012, 03:22 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I'm going to buy so much ice cream when the flavor choice is mine alone.

Didn't you totally say this to yourself when you were eight? I swore I was only going to buy barbecue potato chips, pickles, and ice cream for groceries when I grew up.

Completely shocked I find myself buying green stuff and meat now.

I like sorbet or orange sherbet. I don't eat much ice cream, too sweet.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Hey Cracks are you one of those paleo/low carb types?
(07-14-2012, 01:04 AM)Riotgear Wrote: Hey Cracks are you one of those paleo/low carb types?

I am middle aged. I do watch carbs, but can't go completely without them (sourdough bread).

You do the paleo? I like butter and cheese. I couldn't do that.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I do a cross between paleo (not hardcore) and Atkins of my own design and modification. I'm always on the lookout for good ideas though.
I just try to shop the perimeter of the store. All the shit is in the middle. I eat at home a bunch, too. Restaurant food isn't very healthy but I'm not going to go out and just have a grilled chicken salad. Loves my BBQ places, great ones around here, but I just get the pulled pork and put the hot vinegar sauce on it. About once a week I'll eat something fabulous and unhealthy, usually Mexican.