Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
IF YOU LIKE BOOKS

I like books, I like everything about them, the way they feel in my hands, the way they smell & I like to see my shelves lined with them. I no longer buy books for pleasure reading but I do buy books on architecture, interior design, garden design and other books of that nature. I've discovered a very cool online bookstore, the books are not new, they are all used but in impeccable condition.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I used to read alot. Couldn't put a book down. Then I discovered the Internet and acquired to many "favorite" TV shows.
**sigh*** I am with you Duchess. Even though I want a Kindle Fire, nothing compares to reading an actual book. I have two full book shelves in my LR. I would have a library in my house if I had a big enough house. I could read all day every day.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Something like that works for me. I can go into our library used book store and easily drop $20..on $2 and $3 books!
I've purchased many hard-covers at Goodwill and Salvation Army. Both usually have a good selection on gardening, cooking, travel, design, etc... Many of them are very old, but most are in good condition and usually $.99 to $3.00 here. Of course, if you're looking for a specific title or author, better to go to the library, bookstore, or the on-line shop...
I used to spend 60 EUR and more a month on books back when I had a fulltime job. I can't afford that right now, but I still can lose myself in a library or a book store, and I always have at least three books I am reading simultaneously. Mostly gardening design these days due to my studies, but I try to also feed my head with some psychedelic stuff and read the occasional novel, as well.
I do not understand the romance some people have with an electronic tablet that runs on batteries and requires more maintenance than teaching a puppy to piss outside, compared to a plain ole book that can be had for 10 cents. Its like buying a lamborgini to go 30mph across town in a traffic jam.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
^my sentiment, exactly. *clutches her netbook protectively*

Seriously, though - I don't get the appeal of a kindle or a similar device, either. I just love the haptic sensation of a book between by hands, and besides, I've made the experience that it's easier for me to memorize the content I've read when it's printed on paper.
Long ago I made a vow that I would not buy more books until I finish all the ones I have waiting to be read. That did not last long. Just bought two new paperbacks yesterday for less than $4 each. Older books, but by an author I have enjoyed before.
Just got a sweet book from the used section at Barnes and Noble, called the Holocaust Chronicle in Words and pictures. Boxed and shrinkwrapped, beautiful volume for ten bucks and it was never opened. Nice...a little more research indicates it's a not-for-profit number with a corresponding website, but the book itself is a solid piece of research material.
(08-24-2012, 05:08 PM)Donovan Wrote: Just got a sweet book from the used section at Barnes and Noble, called the Holocaust Chronicle in Words and pictures. Boxed and shrinkwrapped, beautiful volume for ten bucks and it was never opened. Nice...a little more research indicates it's a not-for-profit number with a corresponding website, but the book itself is a solid piece of research material.

There's just the smallest bit of irony here.

That book...unopened...on sale...
For the last 3 hrs I have been reading a book written in 1834 about N.E. towns. In it there are stories about tornados, Indian raids, bad winters, avalanches, lost people in the woods, people ravaged by wolves, bears, all kinds of things. The topography of towns that are not even around anymore. British debauchery against the colonists. The settlement that held 80 Indians that died out, their name was The "Mohicans" in Montville CT. And how when they were at their most powerful during the 1600's and descended on the Indian tribes that were peaceful and how they destroyed settlements. But died out as none were left but old men.
I got the book for 3.00 at a yard sale Saturday and am enthralled by the things that went before and the way people lived at the turn of the 18th century. True to life with no P.C. bullshit. They mention names, places and even how they found a baby in a haystack after the great Wilton N.H. tornado of 1824 when 60 people died and the town was pretty much wiped out. The baby flew 1 mile from where it lay in the cradle. They used the measurement of Rods back then though.
You just don't find that crap on Wikipedia. At least not in the detail described by the people that were actually there.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.