Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Walking Dead Discussion
Well, you guys got me interested in giving FTWD another shot. I watched the first episode with my niece, but it didn't catch me like the first episode of the original did. My niece stuck with it though.

Hoping to get a few days to do a whole lot of nothing but sleeping and tv-watching between Christmas and New Years. Breaking Bad has now slipped to number 2 on my binge-watch wish list.
I think the first episode of TWD was once one the best 'hook' episodes I've ever seen in a series premier.
(10-31-2017, 11:18 PM)Jimbone Wrote: I think the first episode of TWD was once one the best 'hook' episodes I've ever seen in a series premier.

It was a really good intro, no doubt.

The only other recent tv series that pulled me in fast like that was Dexter.

Dexter kinda hit the skids in the last couple of seasons, but it was very effin' good for several years.
(10-31-2017, 07:44 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: It was a European manly kiss. hah

Ha! You're such a sweetie, Clang. I am always charmed by you.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-31-2017, 11:51 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The only other recent tv series that pulled me in fast like that was Dexter.

Dexter kinda hit the skids in the last couple of seasons, but it was very effin' good for several years.

Yes! The first three seasons were fantastic. Then it waned for sure...
(11-01-2017, 04:58 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 07:44 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: It was a European manly kiss. hah

Ha! You're such a sweetie, Clang. I am always charmed by you.

(10-31-2017, 10:55 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Well, you guys got me interested in giving FTWD another shot. I watched the first episode with my niece, but it didn't catch me like the first episode of the original did. My niece stuck with it though.

Hoping to get a few days to do a whole lot of nothing but sleeping and tv-watching between Christmas and New Years. Breaking Bad has now slipped to number 2 on my binge-watch wish list.

Catching up on Netflix between Christmas and New Years is on my binge watch list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwmcerjSIs
hah
We watched episode 2 last night; there was a whole lot of shooting going on.

I really like The King character a lot. Always liked Morgan too; he sure transitioned into badass mode again quickly after being shot.

Tara's comment to Jesus made me wonder if we're going to see a split in the leadership of the group -- with some following Maggie and others sticking with Rick. (I've never really cared for Tara, for some reason.)
If the comics arcs are any clue, there will be a fairly sizable split in leadership philosophy during the course of this story arc. I won't go into more detail than that, but definite leaders will emerge in the various colonies.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(11-04-2017, 01:56 PM)Donovan Wrote: If the comics arcs are any clue, there will be a fairly sizable split in leadership philosophy during the course of this story arc. I won't go into more detail than that, but definite leaders will emerge in the various colonies.

Just watched the last two episodes. I think the comics are a clue; seems like a split is on the horizon.

My niece has loved Jerry the axe-wielding goofball for so long. It was cool to see more of him in the last episode. He was a badass.

But......Sheva and Eric, not cool what happened there. RIP. Crying-into-tissue

I hope the writers and producers don't make getting back to Negan and Gabriel in the container a tease ending of the next episode. I wanna see what's going down in there.
It's fun watching the show with foreknowledge of the comic series, mainly because it's different enough that I can't be bored by knowing what's coming, and yet still similar enough in major story beats that it heightens anticipation for the big reveal. Shiva's epic sendoff for example, sad and fitting. In a visual sense very satisfying for Zeke's character development, but storywise I'm not sure they did it justice like the comics, where it is made clear that Shiva can escape the walkers but chooses not to so Zeke can get out. Sacrifice play.

Meanwhile, the cast of characters is so different from the comics I have more fun guessing "Well who's gonna do the thing THIS guy does now that he is dead?" Morgan, Darryl, Carol, even baby Judith...all wild cards.
Fun hint for those noncomic viewers: in the last episode with Shiva there was a MAJOR Easter egg foreshadowing moment comic fans know immediately. All I'm saying.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.
(11-16-2017, 11:36 AM)Donovan Wrote: In a visual sense very satisfying for Zeke's character development, but storywise I'm not sure they did it justice like the comics, where it is made clear that Shiva can escape the walkers but chooses not to so Zeke can get out. Sacrifice play.

When Shiva first showed up, I did think it was a sacrifice play.

But, then it seemed clear that Shiva just couldn't get away from the walkers.

It's silly, but I'll miss Shiva. Hell, I still miss Dale. Smiley_emoticons_slash
If I could figure out how to post images on this phone I'd share the comics death of Shiva. It's not bad. The tv version was less about the tiger and more about the man. King Zeke died with the Tiger is what I would say. That's where the tv show aces out the comics. Character development and depth. In the comics I think Shane dies in the opening chapters. It's very quick. And many characters get only moments of brief attention. Morgan shows up for about as long as Morales. Couple Panels.

Edit to add: never mind, found an article that shows the panels and explains the scene.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...ed-1057092
Thank you.

[Image: twd-shiva-3_copy-embed.jpg]

I see in the comics that King Zeke managed to get away on his own, along with the sacrifice of Shiva. I liked that Jerry and Carol showed up to help him in the show.

And, I'm glad Morgan has a bigger part in the show than the comics. I think he's one of the more interesting and complex characters, though he's always going missing for a while. Conflicted soul.

I thought that the showdown between Jesus and Morgan was a very good watch.
Morgan's role in the tv show I think was directly caused by the strength of Lennie James when he was in the first season. His initial scenes were expanded from just a couple panels of interaction, and the stuff about his wife was powerful acting on his part. I have always been a fan. Same with Norman Reedus and Melissa McBride. Carol in the comics is long dead and was never much more than deeply damaged goods. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/carol/4005-46268/
(11-19-2017, 02:12 AM)Donovan Wrote: Carol in the comics is long dead and was never much more than deeply damaged goods. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/carol/4005-46268/

The show writers really took Carol in a different and more interesting direction than the comic. I like that she's become a full-on warrior.

Just caught the latest episode. Negan's confession about his wife reminded me of Morgan's situation in the first season. Morgan's dilemma was really powerful and sad; reeled me in.

Watching Rick and Daryl's explosive tumble was weird, though kind of funny. Lots of tension building within the group.