Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
11/19/1979 MaryBeth Tinning (Baby Killer)
Via TruTV, CNN, Wiki, Huffington Post
[Image: maryb.jpg]

On November 19, 1979, Marybeth Tinning delivered her seventh baby, a little boy named Jonathan. In March, Jonathan would become the fourth Tinning child to die in infancy under mysterious circumstances. Marybeth Tinning was a familiar sight in Schenectady's trauma centers. She usually came running into one of the city's emergency rooms, confused and hysterical, typically with one of her babies cradled in her arms, either dead or near dead. The medical staff knew Marybeth well. Some hated her. Others felt great sorrow and pity for her. That's because from January 3, 1972, the day her daughter Jennifer died, until December 20, 1985, when Tami Lynne was found dead in her home, all nine of Marybeth Tinning's children died suddenly and usually without any rational explanation. She is suspected of murdering 8 of her 9 children. And was only convicted of 2nd Degree Murder for the Death of Tami Lynne.

THE LOST CHILDREN…………..

Barbara , Jennifer, And Joseph Tinnings Jr. (Jennifer Not Pictured)
[Image: 3-1-Barbara-amp-Marybeth-Tinn.jpg][Image: 3-2-Joseph-Tinning-Jr.jpg]
In the first five years of her marriage to Joe, the couple had two children, Barbara and Joseph Jr. In October 1971, In December that same year, Marybeth gave birth to a third child, Jennifer. On January 3, 1972, Jennifer died in a Schenectady hospital of severe infection, which was diagnosed as meningitis. Seventeen days later, on January 20, 1972, Marybeth took Joseph Jr., age 2, to the Ellis Hospital emergency room in Schenectady. She reported that he had some type of seizure. The child was kept under observation for a time. When doctors could not find anything wrong with him, Joseph Jr. was sent home. Several hours later, Marybeth returned to the ER with little Joey. This time, he was dead. She told doctors that she had placed him in bed and returned later to find him tangled in the sheets and his body was blue. Barely six weeks later, Marybeth was back at the same emergency room with her daughter, Barbara, age 4. She told the staff that the little girl had gone into convulsions. Though the doctors wanted the child to remain overnight, Marybeth insisted on taking her home. Several hours later, like the incident with Joseph Jr., she returned with Barbara who was unconscious. The child later died in a hospital bed from unknown causes.

Timothy[Image: timothy.png]
On Thanksgiving Day 1973, she gave birth to a son, Timothy. On December 10, three weeks after his birth, Timothy was brought back to the same hospital. He was dead. Tinning told doctors she found him lifeless in his crib. Again, doctors found nothing medically wrong. His death was officially attributed to SIDS.

Nathan[Image: untitled-3.png]
Two years later, on March 30, 1975 (Easter Sunday), Tinning gave birth to her fourth child, Nathan. On September 2, she showed up at St. Clare's Hospital with the baby dead in her arms. She said she was driving in her car with the baby in the front seat when she noticed that he had stopped breathing. Again, there seemed to be no explanation for his death. His death was also attributed to SIDS.

Mary Frances [Image: 4-1-Mary-Frances-Tinning.jpg]

In 1978, the couple made arrangements to adopt a child. The same year, Tinning became pregnant again. The Tinnings did not cancel the adoption and chose to keep both children. In August 1978, they received a baby boy, Michael, from the adoption agency. Two months later, on October 29, she gave birth to her sixth child, Mary Frances. In January 1979, Tinning rushed Mary Frances to the emergency room, directly across the street from her apartment, saying the baby had had a seizure. The staff were able to revive her. However, on February 20, Tinning came running into the same hospital with Mary Frances, who was brain dead. Once again, Tinning said she found the baby unconscious and did not know what had happened to her. Her death was also attributed to SIDS.

Jonathan [Image: 4-3-Jonathan-Tinning.jpg]

Once Mary Frances was buried, Tinning once again became pregnant. On November 19, she gave birth to her seventh child, Jonathan. In March 1980, she showed up at St. Clare's hospital with Jonathan unconscious. Like Mary Frances, he was successfully revived. Due to the family's history, Jonathan was sent to Boston Hospital where he was thoroughly examined. The doctors could find no valid medical reason why the baby simply stopped breathing. Jonathan was sent home. A few days later, Tinning returned to the hospital with Jonathan, and he was brain-dead. Jonathan died on March 24, 1980.

Michael (ADOPTED) [Image: 4-4-Michael-Tinning.jpg]

Less than one year later, on the morning of March 2, 1981, Tinning showed up at her pediatrician's office with Michael, her adopted child, then two and a half years old. He was wrapped in a blanket and unconscious. She told the doctor that she could not wake Michael and had no idea what was wrong. When the doctor examined Michael, he was already dead. Since Michael was adopted, the long-suspected theory that the deaths in the Tinning family had a genetic origin was discarded.

Tami Lynne[Image: 5-1-Tami-Lynne-Tinning.jpg]

On August 22, 1985, Tinning gave birth to her eighth child, Tami Lynne. On December 19, next-door neighbor Cynthia Walter, who was also a practical nurse, went shopping with Tinning and later visited her home. Later that night, Walter received a frantic telephone call from Tinning. When Walter arrived, she found Tami Lynne lying on a changing table. Walter testified that the child was not moving and she could not feel any pulse or breathing. At the emergency room, the baby was pronounced dead.

[Image: 628x471.jpg]

Suspicion mounted against Tinning, who was always alone when the children died, but there wasn't any evidence of wrongdoing. However, after a police interrogation, Tinning confessed to smothering Tami Lynne, Nathan, and Timothy (which she later retracted).She denied having harmed the other children. She was convicted in Tami Lynne's case and sentenced to 20 years to life in prison. Her first attempt for parole was in March 2007. At the parole board meeting Tinning said, "I have to be honest, and the only thing that I can tell you is that I know that my daughter is dead. I live with it every day," she continued, "I have no recollection and I can't believe that I harmed her. I can't say any more than that." Her parole was denied. In late January 2009, Tinning went before the parole board for the second time. Tinning stated "I was going through bad times," when she killed her daughter. The parole board again denied her parole, stating that her remorse was "superficial at best." Tinning was eligible for parole again in January 2011. In 2011 parole was denied again. Her next opportunity for parole will be in January 2013.
I read the book about this baby killer years ago.

She better never see the light of day again! If she does...I hope she dies quickly from a terrible case of "SADS"!!!
(11-19-2012, 06:33 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I read the book about this baby killer years ago.

She better never see the light of day again! If she does...I hope she dies quickly from a terrible case of "SADS"!!!

Do you think the combination of her fathers death and child passing away from being ill was a breaking point for her? I wonder if she just functionally lost it.
(11-19-2012, 07:45 PM)Sphincter Cop Wrote: Do you think the combination of her fathers death and child passing away from being ill was a breaking point for her? I wonder if she just functionally lost it.

I believe it could have pushed her over the edge. One wonders how she could do it so many times before being held accountable.

"In her most expansive interview to date, notorious child killer Marybeth Tinning told the state parole board last month she was a “messed up person” who smothered her 4-month daughter with a pillow because she feared the infant would die.

“After the deaths of my other children … I just lost it,” Tinning told the board Jan. 26. “(I) became a damaged worthless piece of person and when my daughter was young, in my state of mind at that time, I just believed that she was going to die also. So I just did it.”

http://blog.timesunion.com/crime/notorio...-die/6690/
(11-19-2012, 07:45 PM)Sphincter Cop Wrote:
(11-19-2012, 06:33 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: I read the book about this baby killer years ago.

Do you think the combination of her fathers death and child passing away from being ill was a breaking point for her? I wonder if she just functionally lost it.

I'm not sure SC. I have NO sympathy for the woman. None of her children were sick...she murdered every last one of them. I'm sure she's mental and I don't care. She should have gotten herself fixed, or her husband should have quit knocking her up...he's just as guilty IMO.
I would have been suspicious and asking questions after the second one died.
Schenectady is next to the town I live in. Scary.

She killed those children. Every last one of them. I bet today with the forensics and technology we have, they could find a cause of death.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
[/i]
(11-21-2012, 06:39 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Schenectady is next to the town I live in. Scary.

She killed those children. Every last one of them. I bet today with the forensics and technology we have, they could find a cause of death.

It would be interesting if they exumed the children's bodies and did a forensic analysis/autopsy to determine the true causes of death.
(11-21-2012, 06:57 PM)Sphincter Cop Wrote: It would be interesting if they exumed the children's bodies and did a forensic analysis/autopsy to determine the true causes of death.

Soon after Marybeth's arrest, police and the D.A.'s office decided to take the investigation a step further. On May 29, 1986, under the direction of Dr. Michael Baden and Dr. Thomas Oram, chief of pathology at Schenectady's Ellis Hospital, the bodies of three of Tinning's children were exhumed from the Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery in Schenectady County. They were transported to the Medical Examiner's Office for further testing. Defense Attorney Paul M. Callahan told the press, "My client was bothered, upset by them exhuming the bodies" (May 29, 1986, Knickerbocker News). He asked the court for a postponement on Marybeth's appearance because, "She wouldn't be in the best condition to be in court" (ibid). But it really didn't matter. Confusion over the location of the gravesites resulted in the exhumation of the wrong corpse in one case. The other two bodies were too decomposed for a conclusive examination.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notor...ing/9.html