Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The healthcare mandate becomes real.
Is everyone ready for part time employment?
You get what you ask for

CCAC has just announced that because of ObamaCare, it will have to slash the hours of 400 of its employees, about half of whom are adjunct instructors. This is because under the new law, companies and other organizations employing 50 or more employees are required to provide full health care insurance.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I think this has been going on for years. There are a shit ton of employers who only hire part timers in order to avoid giving their employees insurance. I'm not defending it, its just an observation.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(12-02-2012, 10:19 AM)Maggot Wrote: Is everyone ready for part time employment?
You get what you ask for

CCAC has just announced that because of ObamaCare, it will have to slash the hours of 400 of its employees, about half of whom are adjunct instructors. This is because under the new law, companies and other organizations employing 50 or more employees are required to provide full health care insurance.

So if a company currently has 50 or more employees, they already provide health care and shouldn't necessarily see any changes?

Edit: So I don't know if that made any sense. If a company is currently offering insurance would they have to change anything from what they do now?
I can guarantee you, that court jurisdictions will be tied up for years in every state regarding all of this.
(12-02-2012, 10:46 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 10:19 AM)Maggot Wrote: Is everyone ready for part time employment?
You get what you ask for

So if a company currently has 50 or more employees, they already provide health care and shouldn't necessarily see any changes?

Edit: So I don't know if that made any sense. If a company is currently offering insurance would they have to change anything from what they do now?

Regular health insurance will cost more next year because of the new mandates so companies will do a few things.
1.If they have 50 employees they will downgrade some to 30 hrs or less probably 24 hrs a week (3 days) to avoid having to get health insurance
2. Change the now 8020 percent to 5050 that employees have to pay now, usually a company pays 80% of an insurance and the employee pays 20% or stop paying anything. (if you pay 120.00 per week for a family plan be prepared to pay another 30% of that)
These are changes being made to the bigger organizations smaller companies with 5 employees will eventually be required to get insurance in later years or face a fine. So employers will just make the 40 hr employees pay the total cost.
Eventually, some businesses might have to employ more people for less hours to get the same amount of work done - in order to minimize the additional cost of work-unit based mandatory employee health care coverage. Managing more people for the same amount of work is extra overhead in itself, but that additional management investment may well be a more scalable outlay than the new per-employee costs for many businesses. Unfortunately, adding more people to the organization may then bump the employer from one category to the next (small to medium, or medium to large, etc..) which could then also equate to more costs anyway...

I don't know how the health care mandate will ultimately impact business of different sizes (and fear no one really does), but it's an unknown that's worrisome to me because it's hard enough to realize a decent enough profit to stay in business for many small and mid size employers as it stands. Hoping for the best.

Healthcare insurance is so expensive, sometimes people pay as much as, if not more than another person makes in a year.
(12-03-2012, 02:32 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Healthcare insurance is so expensive, sometimes people pay as much as, if not more than another person makes in a year.

I think we're paying roughly $500+/month. Our rates just went up and the plan benefits went down. Niiiice.

In my husband's company, the more you earn the more you pay for insurance (the less the company contributes). So penalize the people that are actually making money for you (the commission earners). Makes perfect sense...not.
It will drive part time help towards government health care or some new kind of insurance that someone will come up with to make money. At any rate it will land in a box someplace on the paystub besides witholding.
Sure, first it will start at about 4.00 then end up being 20-30 bucks a week. Why not just tell every working american to just cough up 20 bucks extra and give it away.
I hate taxes because there is so much waste. I can waste other peoples money easier than my own also.
(12-03-2012, 02:41 PM)username Wrote: I think we're paying roughly $500+/month.

I think that's fantastic for a family. We pay more than that for one person. Every time I write the check for it I hear Maggot in the back of my mind telling me to bank it instead and for myself I consider it.
You can get low to free transgender surgery in SF!

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?...d=57547934
I did NOT double post. It's the phone's fault.
(12-03-2012, 03:57 PM)username Wrote: You can get low to free transgender surgery in SF!

I'm not surprised.

I'm curious to know who funds that.
SF has a universal health care program of its own. The surgery will be covered under that.

What is Healthy San Francisco?

Healthy San Francisco is a program created by the city of San Francisco that makes health care services accessible and affordable for uninsured residents. Healthy San Francisco offers a new way for San Francisco residents who do not have health insurance, to have basic and ongoing medical care that include:

Preventive and Routine Care
Prescription Medicines
Specialty Care
Urgency and Emergency Care
Hospital Care
Mental Health Care
and More

I know it's a long way from a done deal but what do y'all think about the bill put forth the other day?

It's pretty fucked up that no more than a very small handful of Republican lawmakers are willing to defend it. Credit to those few who have held townhalls. People are pissed & scared.
Obamacare still has a bunch of mandates that have not come into effect yet its about to get worse unless something is done. When it was passed years ago it was known that once it was implemented it would be tough to stop the gravy train. It does need help and the way may be in amending quite a bit of the mandates. I'm not sure if that can be done though without first repealing it.

Anyone have anything to say about the bill a few old white guys are drafting? They are doing it in secret, even members of their own party haven't a clue what's going on and I just read that 16 patient advocacy groups had requested, and were denied, a meeting with Mitch McConnell's staff to discuss it. That's just one example, there are a ton of them. Even that fat bastard trump said it is mean. hah
It cannot be any worse than the one barry came out with. What was it that nuthatch from cali said? Nancy? We have to pass it to see what is in it.......
fucking Brilliant
(06-16-2017, 07:40 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: It cannot be any worse than the one barry came out with.

Well, actually it can and if it gets pushed through everyone will have the opportunity to see just how bad it can be and we'll revisit this thread, 'K?
The original one was created in secret also. I do not believe it was a public readable document before it was voted on.