Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TIME MAG PERSON OF THE YEAR
(12-04-2017, 11:07 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 05:34 PM)Carsman Wrote: -Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman,

Crown Prince of what? What did he do to be a Person of the Year nominee?

"Not Carsman" quote! hah
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(12-05-2017, 12:07 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Sorry Clang, I forgot to post the link to the full story: http://time.com/5045719/time-person-of-t...shortlist/

The 32-year-old Saudi Arabian crown prince, the son of King Salman, recently led a sweeping crackdown on businessmen and members of the royal family accused of corruption — a purge seen by many as a move to consolidate power.

People are so cynical. He could be doing it for the good of his country and because its the right thing to do.
(12-05-2017, 06:26 AM)Carsman Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:07 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 05:34 PM)Carsman Wrote: -Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman,

Crown Prince of what? What did he do to be a Person of the Year nominee?

"Not Carsman" quote! hah

2215Blush
(12-05-2017, 07:33 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 12:07 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Sorry Clang, I forgot to post the link to the full story: http://time.com/5045719/time-person-of-t...shortlist/

The 32-year-old Saudi Arabian crown prince, the son of King Salman, recently led a sweeping crackdown on businessmen and members of the royal family accused of corruption — a purge seen by many as a move to consolidate power.

People are so cynical. He could be doing it for the good of his country and because its the right thing to do.

Consolidation of power isn't necessarily negative; it depends on the motive behind it. If the purge was truly undertaken to combat corruption and push for a more moderate culture in Saudi Arabia, as the Crown Prince claims, thumbs up from me. If he's instead just looking to grab more corrupt power and spoils for himself on the backs of the Saudi citizens, fuck him. I don't know enough about him or his motive yet to have an opinion.
Me too won, Except Time is calling them "The Silence Breakers"

[Image: time-poy-cover-today-inline-171206_d52ca...-large.jpg]

Taken from:
https://www.today.com/news/silence-break...ar-t119689

TIME has named The Silence Breakers, the individuals who set off a national reckoning over the prevalence of sexual harassment, as its 2017 Person of the Year.

The magazine's editor-in-chief Edward Felsenthal revealed the selection Wednesday on TODAY along with the cover, a composite group photo that includes actress Ashley Judd, singer Taylor Swift, former Uber engineer Susan Fowler and a woman whose face cannot be seen.

"The galvanizing actions of the women on our cover … along with those of hundreds of others, and of many men as well, have unleashed one of the highest-velocity shifts in our culture since the 1960s," Felsenthal said in a statement.

The Silence Breakers emerged amid burgeoning allegations of sexual misconduct and assault by film executive Harvey Weinstein. As his list of accusers swelled, so did the number of people who spoke up to expose dozens of other famous individuals in Hollywood, politics, journalism and other industries as sexual predators.

Actor Kevin Spacey, journalist Charlie Rose, comedian Louis CK and U.S. Sen. Al Franken of Minnesota were among the high-profile names snared in an ever-growing web of alleged sexual harassers. Last week, former TODAY anchor Matt Lauer was also accused of sexual misconduct.

The women, and men, who broke their silence to share their stories of victimization gave traction to the #MeToo campaign, which took off on social media and fueled a worldwide discussion on just how endemic sexual harassment has been.

Felsenthal noted the hashtag, which he called "a powerful accelerant," has been used millions of times in at least 85 countries.

Since 1927, TIME has bestowed its Person of the Year title upon an individual or group of people who the magazine's editors believe have most influenced news and events of the past year, “for good or ill.”

"The idea that influential, inspirational individuals shape the world could not be more apt this year," Felsenthal said. "For giving voice to open secrets, for moving whisper networks onto social networks, for pushing us all to stop accepting the unacceptable, The Silence Breakers are the 2017 Person of the Year.”

The article mentions 'The women, and men, who broke their silence' --Yet, only women are featured on the cover....Does that mean Time is discriminating against men?
I think it's a good choice.

There's no 'discrimination' in not picturing a man on the cover, in my opinion. It was women who broke their silence about being sexually harassed and assaulted and inspired the #MeToo movement and cultural change.

And, men who supported and helped women tell their stories publicly were acknowledged in the article.
(12-06-2017, 12:12 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I think it's a good choice.

There's no 'discrimination' in not picturing a man on the cover, in my opinion. It was women who broke their silence about being sexually harassed and assaulted and inspired the #MeToo movement and cultural change.

And, men who supported and helped women tell their stories publicly were acknowledged in the article.

Meh- I was joking around about the discrimination. Really don't care whether they feature men, woman, or both. Good, or bad, it's the choice that Time magazine made. I'm not impressed with it, but I wasn't impressed with anyone on their list to begin with.
Does anyone even read Time magazine anymore?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I like the Person of the Year edition and always read it.

Anyway, President Trump was TIME magazine's runner-up this year.

The winners of the readers' poll for 2017 Person of the Year are listed below. I'm kind of surprised Mohammed bin Salman won it by a huge margin, but it's an online poll with people from around the world weighing in.

1. Mohammed bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, earned more votes than other world leaders, industry titans, entertainers and activists. The 32-year-old crown prince received 24% of the “yes” votes cast.

2. The #MeToo movement came in second place with 6% of the votes.

3. Finishing third, with 5% of votes each, were former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, special counsel Robert Mueller and the Dreamers, undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children.

More: http://time.com/5021948/person-of-the-ye...poll-2017/
(12-06-2017, 01:08 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: 1. Mohammed bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, earned more votes than other world leaders, industry titans, entertainers and activists. The 32-year-old crown prince received 24% of the “yes” votes cast.

Am I correct in thinking that the criteria is that one must be a news maker? I ask because I haven't really heard about that Prince. I knew he had rounded up a bunch of people and kept them prisoner in an upscale hotel but other than that I haven't seen the big headlines that others had garnered.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think 911 is finally come home to roost.
(12-06-2017, 01:51 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:08 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: 1. Mohammed bin Salman, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, earned more votes than other world leaders, industry titans, entertainers and activists. The 32-year-old crown prince received 24% of the “yes” votes cast.

Am I correct in thinking that the criteria is that one must be a news maker? I ask because I haven't really heard about that Prince. I knew he had rounded up a bunch of people and kept them prisoner in an upscale hotel but other than that I haven't seen the big headlines that others had garnered.

It's big news around the world with potentially major impacts to Saudi Arabia's future and dealings with other countries. Plus, the purge went down recently, so it will probably generate more headlines here in the U.S. when the effects become clearer.

I hope the crown prince is sincere in his stated motives. The Saudi royals have gotten away with creating discord and sponsoring radical Islam at home and in other countries for way too long.

I think Biggie is probably right about their role in 9 / 11 starting to gain more attention and likely being part of the prince's motive for making such a bold move.
#MeToo won.

It's that time of year again........already.

The short list of Time Magazine "Person/People of the Year" nominees was announced today and the winner(s) will be announced tomorrow or Wednesday.

These are the top contenders, in no particular order.

[Image: 121018-cc-time-shortlist-new-img.jpg][Image: image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.fil...=face&q=85][Image: moon-jae-in-and-vladimir-putin_650x400_41504684804.jpg]

[Image: 3FCC6E9500000578-0-image-a-54_1493614040404.jpg][Image: SAMPLE+TIMELINE.00_02_12_08.Still003.jpg]
--American actress, activist, and Prince Harry's new bride Duchess Meghan Markle
--Senate witness/accuser in Kavanaugh hearings Dr. Christine Blasey Ford
--'Black Panther' director Ryan Coogler
--Murdered Washington Post journalist and Saudi Arabian activist Jamal Khashoggi
--Special Counselor Robert Mueller
--U.S. President Donald Trump
--Russian President Vladimir Putin
--South Korean President Moon Jae-in
--Migrant families separated at the border under Trump's and Sessions' 'zero tolerance policy
--Mass shooting survivors turned March For Our Lives gun control activists from Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School

More about the contenders:  http://time.com/5475133/time-person-of-t...shortlist/
They left out Alysa Milano.

(12-10-2018, 10:53 PM)MirahM Wrote: They left out Alysa Milano.
They're delicious but I still don't think a cookie can be person of the year.Smiley_emoticons_biggrin
Please let it be Special Counsel Mueller.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Khashoggi
MirahM Wrote:They left out Alysa Milano.

Hit!
[Image: 5c0fb7cfdde8671ab9567dba-750-375.jpg]

Jamal Khashoggi and other journalists ('Guardians') fighting against the' 'war on truth' are TIME's People of the Year 2018.    44

"Today, democracy around the world faces its biggest crisis in decades, its foundations undermined by invective from on high and toxins from below, by new technologies that power ancient impulses, by a poisonous cocktail of strongmen and weakening institutions,” TIME Editor-in-Chief Edward Felsenthal said.

Felsenthal added that TIME is recognizing “four journalists and one news organization who have paid a terrible price to seize the challenge of this moment,” as they “are representative of a broader fight by countless others around the world.”

The magazine noted that as of Dec. 10, at least 52 journalists have been murdered in 2018.

Washington Post columnist Khashoggi – the first TIME Person of the Year to be awarded after death - was brutally murdered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Maria Ressa is the editor of a Philippine news website often praised for criticizing the local government.  Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo were arrested while attempting to investigate the massacre of Rohingya Muslims. The Capital Gazette in Maryland lost five staffers when a gunman burst into the newsroom.

More: 
http://time.com/person-of-the-year-2018-the-guardians/
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/ti...r-on-truth