Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gone are the good old days....
When 16 year olds used to keep magazines under their mattresses. Now they use their laptops.

Trouble is the boy ended up with a virus on his laptop. I went to staples for help. Staples must have broken the 'easy button', because the guy wouldn't or couldn't recommend an anti-virus program that would take the virus off the computer & keep future viruses off. He did however recommend that I bring the laptop into their service dept (which I don't want to do).

Would Norton or McAfree do the trick? Is there a better anti-virus program out there?
(12-15-2012, 09:11 AM)cannongal Wrote: When 16 year olds used to keep magazines under their mattresses. Now they use their laptops.

Trouble is the boy ended up with a virus on his laptop. I went to staples for help. Staples must have broken the 'easy button', because the guy wouldn't or couldn't recommend an anti-virus program that would take the virus off the computer & keep future viruses off. He did however recommend that I bring the laptop into their service dept (which I don't want to do).

Would Norton or McAfree do the trick? Is there a better anti-virus program out there?

If you're interested, I use Avast & AVG, I recommend both of them. Remove the virus protection programs that you have installed now & then download the protection of your choice. I often use CNET to get some of my programs, they scan everything for you to determine they are safe. Only use one virus protection program at a time, if you don't you will run into issues.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Don't take it in unless there is no other way. Your kid may have some perv shit on there and the staples guy can rat you out to police or CPS or something.
Avast and AVG are good, so is Mcafee. I use Norton.
One way I have fixed this for folks is to remove the drive from the laptop and use an adaptor on another computer to clean it as an external drive.
If you made a backup disk of the hard drive you can wipe the hard drive and reload the disk. You might be able to go back to a restore point also before the virus.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Yeah, don't take it in. They are just looking for some cash out of you.

Avast and AVG are good free choices, and both perform well. Like Duchess said, only use one at a time.

Never again would I take my computer to a shop to be worked on. If I can't fix it myself I'll buy a new one.
I just spent 2 hrs in the worlds greatest thrift shop. Tons of guitars, antique clothing, old cars, vintage Christmas stuff, mixing boards 100.00 computers, a huge warehouse of great junk. Respect-applause
(12-15-2012, 06:02 PM)Maggot Wrote: I just spent 2 hrs in the worlds greatest thrift shop. Tons of guitars, antique clothing, old cars, vintage Christmas stuff, mixing boards 100.00 computers, a huge warehouse of great junk. Respect-applause

No picturesof this mecca? Damn.
(12-15-2012, 06:02 PM)Maggot Wrote: I just spent 2 hrs in the worlds greatest thrift shop. Tons of guitars, antique clothing, old cars, vintage Christmas stuff, mixing boards 100.00 computers, a huge warehouse of great junk. Respect-applause

So, whadya get?

I really enjoy doing things like that. I like antiquing & flea markets and estate sales too.
lol@Norton/McAfee. If you insist on paying for an AV program, Kapersky is the best, bar none.

As mentioned, there are a couple of free programs out there that do the job quite nicely. The key is common sense, which I know may be hard to come by with a teenager who may be thinking with the wrong head when it comes to his internet surfing.
Of the millions of sperm injected into your mother's pussy, you were the quickest?

You are no longer in the womb, friend. The competition is tougher out here.

Hey-can you pm me the name of this great shop? I love poking through places like that.
It is the old owner of Daddys junkie music. Where the hell is cannongal.