Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Obama's Cabinet - Term 2
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Friday announced the nomination of Sen. John Kerry as his next secretary of state, making the first move in a sweeping overhaul of his national security team heading into a second term.

If confirmed, Kerry would take the helm at the State Department from outgoing Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has long stated her intentions to leave early next year. Kerry, a longtime Massachusetts senator, is expected to be easily approved for the Cabinet post by his longtime Capitol Hill colleagues.

Kerry, 69, is the first Cabinet nomination Obama has made since winning a second term, and the first piece in an extensive shuffle of his national security team. The president is also expected soon to nominate a new defense secretary to take over for retiring Leon Panetta and a new director of the Central Intelligence Agency to replace former spy chief David Petreaus, who resigned last month after admitting to an affair with his biographer.

full story here:
http://news.msn.com/politics/obama-nomin...=ansnews11

Kerry's a qualified choice, imo. Some really significant changes in national security leadership are pending for term 2; interested to learn who's next in line for Panetta and Petreaus's posts.
There's talk of a Republican for SOD who is NOT popular within his own party. Don't want to look for his info on my phone. I think it wi be a fight if he's nominated.
Commando Cunt Queen
You're probably referring to Hagel, user. His name has come up the most as Panetta's likely successor, but there's controversy surrounding his lack of popularity with Israeli lobbyists to consider, imo.

Now that Kerry has been nominated Sec of State and therefore off the short list for Sec of Defense, I do think that Hagel will be Obama's first choice nominee nevertheless. Imo, Obama will face more resistance in getting Hagel confirmed as SOD than he will with Kerry for SOS, but it'll be a piece of cake as compared to his failed attempt to get Rice seriously considered for one of the top positions within his second term cabinet. JMO...

I know very little about the two top contenders to permanently replace Petraeus as CIA Director. Need to read up on that one...
Term 2 Cabinet nominations are expected this afternoon. So far, no threats to block them as was done with Susan Rice, but Hagel will probably be a tough sell as he is considered by some as not supportive of Israel and too soft on Iran.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTavbuLearJa1bNOVPbcFQ...oaYgY09vz_]
Kerry, Secretary of State

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE5KIcQ6Y3h7ABsFXCPgE...uMOnX7bz0g]
Hagel, Secretary of Defense

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKwFmtvXvWRqfnAuRY9sD...64DJTLLsog]
Brennan, CIA Director

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk47QBTsy5AW0waeHFW_m...X8G2aI7fnI]
Lew, Treasury Secretary

Ref:
http://news.msn.com/politics/obama-taps-...an-for-cia
I think he picked Hagel intentionally to pick a fight.

He knows this guy has tons of baggage, but just wants to say "Hey, I even nominated a Republican for SOD, and they won't even accept one of their own!".

It's all about building support against the Congress for the upcoming debt ceiling fight.
There is no spending problem.

In an interview with Stephen Moore of the Wall Street Journal, newly re-elected House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) opened up about President Obama’s utter unwillingness to cut a single dollar from federal spending. In a stunning admission, Obama reportedly told Boehner, “We don’t have a spending problem.”

Boehner added that President Obama continues to maintain that America’s federal deficit is caused not by governmental overspending but by “a health-care problem.” Said Boehner, “They blame all of the fiscal woes on our health-care system.” Boehner told Obama, “Clearly we have a health-care problem, which is about to get worse with Obamacare. But, Mr. President, we have a very serious spending problem.” Obama eventually replied, “I’m getting tired of hearing you say that.”

Obama may be tired of hearing Boehner talk about a spending problem, particularly when Obama has been re-elected on the basis of ignoring government spending. Nonetheless, America does have a spending problem, which Obama is steadfastly ignoring. “He’s so ideological himself,” Boehner explained, “and he’s unwilling to take on the left of his own party.” That’s why Obama refused to raise the retirement age for Medicare after agreeing to it. “He admitted in meetings that he couldn’t sell things to his own members,” said Boehner. “But he didn’t even want to try … We could never get him to step up.”

Boehner says that there will be no new tax increases over the debt ceiling. “The tax issue is resolved,” he said. And he said that more closed-door negotiations with Obama would be “futile.” It’s a bit too late to recognize that, but better late than never.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Obama has been showing a very ugly side since he was reelected. Gloating over the fiscal cliff deal, saying he won't debate raising the debt ceiling (good luck with that). He's acting very dictatorial.
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-07-2013, 01:03 PM)Jimbone Wrote: I think he picked Hagel intentionally to pick a fight.

He knows this guy has tons of baggage, but just wants to say "Hey, I even nominated a Republican for SOD, and they won't even accept one of their own!".

It's all about building support against the Congress for the upcoming debt ceiling fight.

You may be right. On the other hand, I think that Obama may simply believe that Hagel is his best choice for SOD.

Obama and Hagel were aligned when they both questioned the motives and policies of the Iraqi invasion and Cheney's statements in 2005 that its end was near. I think that Hagel spoke the truth as he saw it, which pissed off Republicans (though it turned out that there were in fact no WMDs as was touted to gain support of the invasion, and the war did indeed stretch out much longer). Hagel and Obama have also traveled to Iraq together and Hagel has years of senatorial experience, along with being a Purple Heart veteran of the Vietnam War.

As for the criticism regarding his statements about Israel's significant influence on American foreign policy, I don't really understand the uproar. Israel and the Jewish lobby does have a great deal of influence in that regard and has for decades. Too much? IDK, but making statements about that influence shouldn't disqualify anyone from the SOD position, in my opinion. We need to review and address our Middle East relations, influences and policies more openly and honestly as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, even though I'm as far to the left of Hagel as Obama is when it comes to abortion, gay marriage and other social issues, those issues don't matter when it comes to the SOD position. I don't object to seeing someone who's straight up, regardless of party lines, being in a position of high authority. Perhaps Obama welcomes that as well, trusts Hagel and considers him well qualified. Or, perhaps I'm giving Obama too much credit. IDK.

It's an important position and I hope the nomination is being made with good faith intentions.
Why do we even need a treasury secretary? Oh yeah, someone needs to sign their name on the plate.
Kerrys statements like this:
“America’s contributions to global climate change and our oil dependence are endangering our national security, our economy and our environment. But the global climate crisis is more than an urgent scientific imperative; it is also a tremendous economic opportunity to secure America’s leadership in creating the low-carbon global economy and our future prosperity”

And this:

“Carbon pollution threatens to damage our children’s health and radically and irreversibly alter our climate. It threatens to bring more famine and drought, worse pandemics, more natural disasters, and human displacement on a staggering scale. In an interconnected world, the instability that would trigger endangers all of us.”

These bother me. Its as if Obama wants anyone that if for climate change tax burdens in major positions in line with the U.N. initiative. Send the dogs out so to say.
(01-07-2013, 10:25 PM)Maggot Wrote: Kerrys statements like this:
“America’s contributions to global climate change and our oil dependence are endangering our national security, our economy and our environment. But the global climate crisis is more than an urgent scientific imperative; it is also a tremendous economic opportunity to secure America’s leadership in creating the low-carbon global economy and our future prosperity”

And this:

“Carbon pollution threatens to damage our children’s health and radically and irreversibly alter our climate. It threatens to bring more famine and drought, worse pandemics, more natural disasters, and human displacement on a staggering scale. In an interconnected world, the instability that would trigger endangers all of us.”

Yes, because China and India are certainly going to cooperate in reducing dependence on carbon based fuels. THEY ARE THE GLOBAL POLLUTERS.

Also, they will suck every cheap drop of oil dry before they use expensive clean technology. Even if the US is the 'global leader' in clean, low carbon tech.

What a dummy John Kerry is.
Hagel's again the odd man out on the climate change issue, Maggot.

Liberals will likely hammer him in questioning about his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol to limit climate change. IIRC, he's scrappled with McCain on the issue and questions how much of climate change is caused by human activity. He scores no points with the environmentalists in this area (though he does support energy efficiency, inside and outside of military operations).

I'm curious as to how/if Republicans will grill Kerry on his previous positive statements about Syria's leader Assad. He is (or at least was) on the opposite side of the fence as Hillary Clinton in that regard.
About the nominee for CIA Director, John Brennan.

Brennan speaks Arabic, was a CIA station chief in Saudi Arabia, and has spent considerable time in Yemen (which is now the largest target of drone attacks against al-Qaeda groups; shifting from Pakistan). He is a huge proponent of drones vs. military personnel and credited with the targeted killing of 28 key al-Qaeda leaders in Pakistan and Yemen, along with the thwarting of the underwater bomber in the Arabian Peninsula which aimed to take down a Northwest flight to Detroit on Christmas 2009.

Some analysts in the US claim that the drone attacks have helped Al-Qaeda attracts new members, but Yemeni tribal leaders reportedly claim that it's instead the promise of money and jobs in the poorest country in the Arabian world that lures new recruits.

I think that Brennan will breeze through the approval process without much resistance except from the minority number of Congresspersons who oppose drone attacks.

Ref:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/07/opinion/be...?hpt=hp_c1

P.s. Also, he hardly ever smiles and even when he does, he still projects seriousness and doesn't look like someone you'd want to piss off or like someone who's gonna get his dick caught in a scandal.
Obama - Middle East visit

Obama's moving slowly in filling all of his Term 2 Cabinet posts, but Kerry, Lew, Hagel, and Brennan are all locked in.

Hagel's slated to visit Israel in April; he's got some major fence-mending to do on that front.

Looks like Obama is setting the stage for for Hagel and Kerry's next moves in attempting to lessen gaps between the US and Israel. During this week's visit, Obama and is reported to have improved his relationship with Netanyahu and the two reached some consensus regarding:

1. Improving the ties between Israel and Turkey,
2. A lessening sense of urgency to raid Iran,
3. How to address the continuing crisis in Syria (including assisting Jordan, where nearly 1 million Syrians have taken refuge).

He and Kerry also met with Jordan's Foreign Minister, Judeh, and Palestinian President Abbas.

Ref:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/ob...Page3.html

I always wonder how world leaders really feel about each other when the cameras are off.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how the US's policies towards Iran and Syrian rebels develop over the next several months with a new SOD and SOS in place.
(03-24-2013, 12:23 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I always wonder how world leaders really feel about each other when the cameras are off.

I've wondered that too & since I'll never know I use my own criteria for judging that - I look at their smiles and their eyes, if you see someone smiling often enough you can often tell the difference between a genuine smile and a fake one.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(03-24-2013, 12:30 PM)Duchess Wrote: I look at their smiles and their eyes, if you see someone smiling often enough you can often tell the difference between a genuine smile and a fake one.

To me, it looks like Obama and Abbas are genuinely comfortable with each other; still not so much with Netanyahu.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZlxET_Ea8iUzOoMDZkjQ...e_N-djP7KX][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkqr7MLEf_rVctjw2DEHO...7mioPUv9Qw]

But, good news being reported. It looks like Obama's trip to the Middle East brought Israelis and Palestinians closer together, at least temporarily.

“I think President Abbas and I can agree that the speech was one of the silliest things we have ever heard,” said Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu, who was flanked by the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas. “We have come together to announce that there is very little chance of a two-state solution and violence will probably persist, but we both strongly believe that the president was just absolutely adorable up there today.”

“And together, we can make fun of the president much more effectively than if we were apart,” he added.

Sources reported that the unity between the Israelis and Palestinians continued well into the afternoon, when, after the laughter died down and eventually gave way to silence, three suicide bombers ignited their vests and sent everyone scattering back to their sides.

Full story here:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/palesti.../?ref=auto
And the wheels on the bus go round and round...John Kerry at the wheel

Another round of Peace Talks are scheduled between Israeli and Palestinian leaders next week.

US Sec of State Kerry brokered a deal earlier this year whereby Israel would release 104 Palestinian prisoners early, some of whom killed Israelis, and Palestinian leader Abbas would drop his condition that Israel freeze erection of new housing settlements in what would theoretically be the Palestine State (West Bank Gaza) before he'd participate in peace talks.

Well, today, the Israeli Housing Minister announced that Israel is erecting a bunch of new settlements in that zone, right on the eve of the Peace Talks. Abbas ain't pleased and is complaining to US and European officials.

And, I'm just sittin' here watching the wheels go round and round...

Good luck on this, John Kerry.
The Palestinians want to establish a state in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem, captured by Israel in 1967. Since the 1967 war, Israel has built dozens of settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem that are now home to some 560,000 Israelis.

Abbas dropped his demand for the building freeze after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry won Israel's agreement to release inmates serving long sentences, including those involved in the killing of Israelis who otherwise would likely have spent the rest of their days in prison.

Palestinian officials said Kerry also assured them that the U.S. views Israel's pre-1967 lines as a starting point for border talks, even though Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has refused to endorse the idea.

Full story:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/11...39508.html
The middle east is a neverending clusterfuck the west would do best to stay well away from from now on. Everything the west has done has just made the situation worse, how many times does your hand have to get burned before you stop sticking it in the fire?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(08-11-2013, 01:12 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: The middle east is a neverending clusterfuck the west would do best to stay well away from from now on. Everything the west has done has just made the situation worse, how many times does your hand have to get burned before you stop sticking it in the fire?

I think the west needs to stay actively engaged diplomatically to protect our interests and not get taken off guard by regimes that have their sights set on forcibly expanding their domination beyond their own borders.

But, I agree that acting as puppeteers and/or trying to exert leadership control over other countries/regions (Middle Eastern or otherwise) is a strategy that typically backfires, for all parties involved.
How's that "Arab Spring" thing going? I cannot recall ever the closing of as many embassies as this administration has. Nice job Obama/Kerry without functioning embassies we may as well close our eyes, stick our fingers in our ears and say la-la-la-la-la.